Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

The process for which this company hires is frantic and sporadic at best. Overall my three rounds of interviews took over seven weeks to complete, with minimal communication from the recruiters. This often left me wondering what (if any) my next steps were. I was told many times that recruiting was very busy, and I get that, but a small status update after more than a week of not hearing anything would have gone so far. It also seemed that there was a disconnect between certain groups as to what this role would actually be doing, which I think plagued the experience. Overall it was just the drawn out nature of the interviewing process and the constant unknown that really took it's toll on me. I really like this company and am still a proud user, but after going though what I went through, I would never pursue another opportunity with them. Very disorganized and very poor professional conduct in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• What would you write on the tombstone of the current hotel industry? I had fun with this one but it caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

First a behavioral phone screen.
    Later followed by a take home test, given 2 hours to complete.

Interview Questions

• Take home test contained a data analysis question that required knowledge of statistical comparison techniques.   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2014.

Interview

Referred by an acquaintance, "recruiting team" got in touch with me within 2 business days. I was asked to do a video review via Hire Art. The questions asked were easy, yet within a few days I got another automatically generated response saying my video had been reviewed and they decided not to move forward. Never once talked to a real person or got feedback - this was a little off putting to be honest. I get that they have a very high volume of candidates, but I have interviewed at several bigger/hotter tech companies in Silicon Valley and none have been as impersonal as this.

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in April 2014.

Interview

HireArt recorded video responses followed by a Skype interview followed by a group interview (40 individuals present and process involved solving a problem as a team as well as break out 1:1 mini interviews with recruiters) then one final Skype interview. Individual interviews focus on specific core values, which means that questions are tailored to illicit responses about specific core values to see if the candidate has the value at his/her core.

Interview Questions

• How did you mitigate problems before they arose in a high-stress situation?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in March 2014.

Interview

I applied directly on the Airbnb website, providing my resume and cover letter and two days later received an e-mail from a recruiter directing me to an outside screening website called Hire Art. There I was asked to post ~four video responses to interview prompts and ~four written responses. This process took longer than expected but was pretty pleasant, allowing you to record your responses as many times as necessary.
    A few days after completing the Hire Art interview I received an e-mail invitation to attend a group meetup. The meetup consisted of a 15 min mix and mingle followed by ~15 min of everyone introducing themselves to the group. I believe they wanted you to state your name, fun/interesting fact about yourself and one experience you had with Airbnb. Following the introduction portion people were split into smaller groups of 5 people, where Airbnb employees asked group members situational questions. After completing this part of the interview the groups were then required to complete a pointless project where we were asked to imagine that we were lost space travelers trying to return to our space ship on the dark side of the moon. We were provided with a list of 20 items and asked to select 5 in order of most importance and then present it to the other groups, explaining why we chose these items. After about an hr and a half we finally got to the one on one interviews, which lasted about 10-15 min per person.

Interview Questions

• The only challenging portion of the interview was the situational questions because they were so far fetched and unpredictable. Ex; Airbnb guest calls complaining about host's dog who urinated in his suitcase, how do you respond? Then after answering the question they continued on by saying the dog urinated on his suit that he needs for an interview in two hours.   Answer Question

Trust and Safety Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Airbnb does a fabulous job setting up group interviews. There is great energy mixed with interesting people.

Be prepared for some dramatized real-life problems to solve in the group interview process followed by more of the same in written form and finally an individual interview.

The interviewers will tell you that it's not important that you know company policies and that they're really interested in hearing how you problem solve, but really it goes against you not to know the actual policies on their website.

My only frustration with the individual interview was that they did not have my resume in front of them so they really had no idea who I was and seemed surprised that I had a graduate degree. That didn't scream preparedness to me.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb in March 2014.

Interview

HR Screening followed by a take home test, Neither too hard nor easy. Take home test consists of analyzing a A/B test results.

Questions are a little weird, would be good to know how the questions would relate to the job responsibilities.

Trust and Safety Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in March 2014.

Interview

Process took approximately 2 weeks before getting an invite for a Syke interview. It took another 2 weeks to get a telephone interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were the one survivor in a plane crash?   151 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

After the initial housekeeping with recruiters you do 2 phone screens that last ~45 minutes. Coding questions are the average DS and algo, but wrapped in some use scenario context, which is helpful.
    Mine included: lower/uppercase permutations, simple json parsing, implementing a simple socket based client (could lookup docs online).
    You need to produce *running code (this is true for both phone and onsite), but that shouldn't make you nervous.

Arch/Design questions is what got me. You're expected to know database/relation design, indexing, different layers of caching and lookup optimization as if you do this all day every day.
    You can answer these Q's in either Sql or NoSql context.

Then there are 2 quirky culture/fit interviews. Know why you want to work there, be ready to share some experiences from traveling (and hopefully using AirBnB), and have something new to teach your interviewer in a few minutes. That part is actually fun.

All in all a nice experience and anyone you interact with are pleasant and helpful.

Interview Questions

• What SQL columns you should index and how would you change the indexing in different lookup scenarios?   2 Answers
    • What can you teach me in a few minutes?   Answer Question

CX Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in February 2014.

Interview

The interview process was a combination of video, group and individual breakout skills-based interviews. While the interview process itself was fantastic, the overall expectations were misaligned with the job reality. Airbnb does a great job of demonstrating its sparkly qualities while masking the realities of the work.

Interview Questions

• If I could give a Ted talk, what would it focus on?   1 Answer