Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Received an email from HR to setup a phone interview to go over my background. Phone interview lasted about 40min, went over the basics and all went well. HR seemed enthusiastic about my skills and also seemed to really enjoy Airbnb culture and team. Ended the phone interview with asking for availability to come in for an in-house interview. The following week I walked into the Airbnb office ready to take on all 6 Finance team interviews. The office itself was amazing- office decor was beautiful, bright and inspiring. Staff appeared to be happy and energetic. All interviews went really well, staff members were knowledgeable and honest about challenges the team faces. I value getting similar responses across the board knowing people are most likely being upfront. Ended the interviews with HR telling me I would be notified shortly. Unfortunately, I ultimately did not get the job. However, Airbnb offered a gift certificate for my time which I greatly appreciated and look forward to taking advantage of!

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

The process seems to be run by an incompetent or inexperience team of hiring managers and staffing people. One interviewer who introduced himself as an investor didn't know the position I was interviewing for. None of the interviewing team asked about my background nor did they even ask for a resume to review my background. It was a complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question from an interviewer: "what position am I interviewing you for?"   2 Answers

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in July 2012.

Interview

The initial process was all online: doing a personal video, answering questions via a phone recording so the answers were off-the-cuff; definitely want to know your way around the website. After that round, there were 2 in-city group meetings with role-playing, meeting the other candidates as well as interviewers and trainees, and food. Culture was highlighted in terms of the informality of the setting. After the meet and greet and role-playing, we each met with an interviewer for a pretty short (under 5 minutes) one-on-one interview. Then we found out via email whether we were hired or not.

Interview Questions

• I didn't think the questions were difficult. It was a bit odd to be asked to role play specific Airbnb questions and pretend to have an answer on the phone when we didn't know any of the policies. But if you were able to answer confidently, that came across.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation: the offer had the hourly amount (which had been explicit on the website) and that was that.

Junior Analytics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Heard back 2 weeks after applying. Received email with attached brain teaser. Asked to run a regression analysis on Airbnb's 2011 data. Thought I knocked it out of the park but received email 12 hours later essentially saying "thanks but no thanks" with no mention of the accuracy of my results. Must have made an error in my analysis but I felt pretty good about it.

Interview Questions

• Run a regression analysis of the following data and decipher the coefficient of the most significant independent variable.   Answer Question

Customer Support Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied for this job sometime in Winter 2011. First, I received an email apology on February 2 for not replying to everyone's applications for this position and that we'd receive responses soon. Then I received a later email on February 16 saying Airbnb was not hiring for this position because the new focus was on finding customer support agents and if the Content Manager position opened up, we would be the first applicants to hear back. Now, over a month later (March 23), I receive an email that this position was filled.

Account Manager Interview

Application

Interview

I was phone screened and then spoke to the team manager. The team manager seemed rushed and inexperienced. The interview included a mock phone conversation with a customer describing ways a customer can improve their listing on AirBnB.

Interview Questions

• Mock phone call to potential customer, help them improve their AirBNB listing. Not a hard question at all.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

I had a two-hour interview with the woman who would be my supervisor if I had gotten the job. It was completely informal; a "meet-up" in a coffee shop. The woman spent most of the time talking about herself and how much the CEO likes her. She made it sound as if they were dating, but I don't think she meant to--it was just sloppy communication. I don't know if this is ABB's interview process now. They are a very young company, just trying to find their feet.

Interview Questions

• "Don't you think I'd be a great host?"   6 Answers

AirCrew Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

The customer service position required 4 Skype interviews over the span of 2 weeks or so. Initial interview was with a CS recruiter and lasted 15 minutes. 2nd interview was with an AirCrew person for 30 minutes. 3rd was with an AirCrew lead and then the final interview is with a CS manager, both for 30 minutes. A very tight knit, start-up culture that is diverse, well -traveled and smart. The position is remote or based at home office in SF. The week long training is in SF.

Aircrew (Customer Service) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

They do interviews by Skype which works pretty well - small lag - but after telling you they are going to do a "different" type of interview and not just read from a list of questions, they proceed to read from a list of questions. There's nothing wrong with having a question list but why bother to point out they are going to use a different process?
    Based on some comments and questions, became clear the interviewer didn't bother to read cover letter or resume; sad since written communication was a highly valued skill. Interviewer also seemed to have very limited experience at job or possibly was directed to take a limited view - not sure. Interview kind of a let down after seeing this very smart, energetic company with well written job descriptions, slick web presence and clarity of vision. Seemed they would spend some money to put a more insightful person at the front end. It wasn't my first choice of companies though and maybe that came through from my side. Left a little negative feeling but not that bad.ok if I wasn't what they were looking for but since they were very specific about what questions they wanted answered in the cover letter, interviewer should take the time to read it. Maybe they would find that the person is much better than they sound (or look) on the phone OR maybe they wouldn't even need to make the call.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about monotonous, boring tasks?   4 Answers

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Was contacted without solicitation from their in-house recruiter. Had a good phone interview. Was asked to come in and meet with the hiring manager. That interview went well. Was asked back for a second round of interviews with four other team members. The meeting schedule was unorganized. Two of the people I was scheduled to meet with were not available and I got the impression the recruiter was scrambling to find replacements. No big deal - it just seemed as though they didn't really have their act together. The second round of meetings seemed to go well and I was really excited about the prospect of joining the team. Was told by the recruiter that next step would be to meet with the founders. I followed up with a message expressing my continued interest and asking for feedback. Radio silent...no reply, no "thanks, but no thanks"...nada. Who does that after bringing you in-house twice? It's unfortunate that this lack of professionalism has left me with a negative overall impression of Airbnb. It seems like a very cool, exiting environment to work in with lots of talented people. They emphasize that they are "anti-corporate." Anti-corporate is not synonomous with unprofessional and discourteous.

Interview Questions

• What is the craziest idea you've ever had?   2 Answers