Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

virtual onsite. Coding at Coderpad. 2 rounds, back to back and 45 mins for each. Jump directly to the coding part. The program needs to compile and run and pass the cases they provide.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

Chaotic & unclear. No real headcount open yet HMs will chat you up and have you interview with their team. New AI research team is separate from engineering and product teams... yet another company that will struggle to get AI into production ready features. Technical expertise isn’t well scoped during interviews and general knowledge of topics you can google online are.

If you wanted my SAT score to gauge my work... that’s a bad way to scope a candidates history and potential.

If you wanted real past projects and outcomes...
    Ask more details and try to envision that scale of results in your teams caliber.

Interview Questions

• How do you delete a row from
      Table?   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

Recruiter screen followed by a Tech phone screen.

I got a simple JS question dealing with hashmaps and arrays. I was able to code a perfectly working solution without any help. The interviewer kept making it tougher as I proceeded and I passed all the test cases. There was no back and forth and it was really smooth.

Still, I got a reject which was confusing!

I was reading through TeamBlind forum for Airbnb interviews and it has points on discrimination on ethnicity etc. It was a disheartening experience considering Airbnb was one of my favorite companies.

Experience Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online, was initially contacted within days. The process was intensive but very pleasant and everyone was lovely! I had to give a fairly lengthy presentation and speak with various people from different departments.

Interview Questions

• All about your background, experience, and who you are as a person. How you would handle challenges such as communication, difference of opinion, unexpected results, or conflicting stakeholder interests. What is your approach to research. What does it mean to belong anywhere.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in May 2019.

Interview

Phone interview with Recruiter for 1st interview and then 2nd interview Skype call with hiring manager.

1st Phone Screen with the Recruiter they asked standard 5-7 situational questions. I had a positive experience with the Recruiter, Very professional.

2nd interview the Interviewer asked three situational questions. I had logged on early and I had to wait for them to boot up their computer so they could ask me his pre screen questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to be an influencer and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

Had a week to prepare a presentation, then presented it. Took half a day. Nice process and people. Met with several different people throughout the day. Organizers of the interview process were very kind in leading me through the process. Very organized process. Nothing too technical was asked.

Interview Questions

• Asked if I ever used Airbnb   1 Answer

Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

I applied online. Received an email from the recruiter a few days later. Set up a first phone interview with recruiter. It went well. The recruiter definitely wanted to go through it as fast as possible. She had her list of questions but was not super interested in engaging and/or actually listening to the answers - which was fine, I assumed she was busy.
    Then, the recruiter set up a phone call with the hiring manager. He did not know how to lead an interview and he was not social/friendly at all so it was a very weird conversation.
    Also, a quick tip for HR/hiring manager: 80% of communication is non-verbale, make the hiring manager interview a video call (does not take more effort and/or time) instead of a random phone call. Phone calls are good for screening and/or making an offer. It's for HR. Not for hiring manager and not for other decision makers. You will walk away from very talented potential employees otherwise.

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (South Bend, IN).

Interview

I submitted my application online and heard back within two weeks or so. The recruiting team was amazing. They were accessible and happy to answer all of my questions.

The interview process was intense, and I spend severals prepping for each interview. There was a two step process.

Step 1:
    Virtual call with a researcher (45 minutes)
    During this interview, I had the opportunity to talk about my training and strengths. I discussed my dissertation research, focusing on my methodological expertise, along with other projects that show additional methodological skills. Then my interviewer gave me a short exercise where I had to problem solve on my feet. For example, "How would you study X, Y and Z?", and "How would you conduct the same research if you only had 7 days?"

Step 2:
    Virtual Presentation (45 minutes)
    For this part, I basically an academic job talk geared toward an interdisciplinary audience. Two people watched the talk and asked questions.

Virtual call with a researcher with a focus on research skills (30 minutes)
    The researcher was super nice, and asked me questions about my background. They told me to prepare for the following questions: If you were teaching a class on design research, what three things would you want to make sure students walked away with? How would you decide your methods and account for bias/validity?

Virtual call with a researcher with a focus on communication (30 minutes)
    This interview was with another researcher, who was also friendly. For this interview, they told me to prepare for the following questions: What are some different ways you communicate your work to different audiences? What is an example of a time when your findings were not well received, and how did you progress? How do you give and respond to constructive feedback?

Cross-functional interview (30 minutes)
    I found this interview to be the easiest. This interviewer tried to get to know me as a person and tried to get a sense of why I wanted to work at Airbnb.

Interview Questions

• What are some different ways you communicate your work to different audiences?   1 Answer

Design Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

1. Phone Screen
    2. If you pass the phone screen there's 4 different phone and video calls with a portfolio review it can take up to a total of two hours all in one day

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Airbnb   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

One of the toughest, most intensive process. Go through the interview only if you are not busy or overwhelmed by any other parts of life (school/work) because you can expect to dedicate all your free time to this process for at least a month. The interview basically becomes a full time job on its own. If you go through the entire process including onsites, chances are that you will be burned out.

You first start with a phone screen, which is pretty basic. Then they give you a take home challenge. Like other reviews, it is time consuming. They tell you to spend no more than a few hours, but also ask you to perform full stack analytics: data cleaning, exploration, derive insights, and put together a PowerPoint deck. I’m sure this project would take a team of full time data scientist one week to complete with the high standards they’ll be evaluating you against. Be prepared to dedicate your weekend to this.

When you finally make it onsite, they want you to prepare another deck for a past project and present it, as well as presenting your take home. More time spent preparing decks in addition to preparing for behaviorals, metrics, AirBNB business model, etc. You’ll be there for pretty much the entire day, and meet ~6 people, which is extremely exhausting. Every other company only brings you onsite for half a day and meet half the number of people. The people I met are very bright and smart, but I had the impression that the case questions they throw at you are problems that they currently face and don’t even have a solution to. So it seemed a little unfair that they expect someone who doesn’t think about airbnb’s Problems on a daily basis to figure out the answer that I don’t even think they know.

Interview Questions

• Study AirBNB business model very closely and the problems they face from a data POV   Answer Question