Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Three step process that included applying for the position, one behavioral/portfolio review and finally a long 3 part final interview. The first two are typical to most design positions however the final interview did include some interesting parts like a section that was about how you would fit into their culture of hospitality and openness (I like that they stress this).

Interview Questions

• What does hospitality mean to you?
      Take us through one of the projects on your portfolio?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

I applied for many positions - directly and via referrals. But looks like it's impossible to get an interview call if you don't fit into their diversity criteria!! I might sue Airbnb and their recruitment teams for not providing equal opportunity to me!

I have 10+ years of engineering, data science and product experience at leading tech companies. I went to top schools for engineering and MBA. I ended up interviewing with Uber, Lyft, WeWork, Netflix, Google, Facebook, Apple, Pinterest, Lime. I went to onsite for almost half of them and get multiple offers. But not Airbnb, not even call or email response !!

Interview Questions

• Looks like either you need to be White or Chinese to get the foot in the door!   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

There was a phone screen followed by a take-home tech screen. After turning in the tech screen, you either proceed to in-person interviews or not. The DS org is somewhat chaotic (hiring new managers), but the recruiter made the process run smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Tech screen is a data analysis problem   1 Answer

Talent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2019.

Interview

3 round interview process: 30min call with recruiter, 30min call with hiring manager, and finally an onsite which included two culture fit interviews and four interviews with the team. Overall, very streamlined and fast process.

Regional Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR) in April 2019.

Interview

It started with phone screening, followed by a video interview with the hiring manager. Then I was interviewed with the hiring manager again and other cross-functional managers. The process took around 5 weeks.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2019.

Interview

Horrible experience. First a call with HR and then straight to a Take Home. I couldn't talk with anyone with technical background so we I got the take home I had no idea what type of solutions they were looking for.

The take home has very open ended questions and requires you to do a lot of assumptions. Spend some good time on it and got rejected without any explanation.

Extremely disappointed. Without talking to a technical person and without a more detailed take-home it's impossible to know what are they looking for.

Data Science Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in April 2019.

Interview

After resume and cover letter submission, I was asked to complete a Take-Home Challenge in 72 hours. I could choose the starting day/time of the challenge and was advised to spend 8-10 hours on it. I was later invited to a technical interview during which I would present my Take-Home Challenge work (35-40 minutes) and describe a past quantitative project (5-10 minutes). The final round consisted of two 45-minute interviews, a Hiring Manager interview during which I did a mini case and a cross-functional interview with someone outside the Data Science team to assess my fit with Airbnb's culture.

Interview Questions

• The Take-Home Challenge provided real, anonymized Airbnb data which I had to analyze to recommend 2-3 product changes in order to grow bookings in a particular market. I also had to rank my recommendations based on their estimated impact and send in a 5-8 slide presentation with main findings plus all of my code (in any programming language/software that I was comfortable with). The technical interview was a great conversation during which I presented my Take-Home Challenge slides, stated my assumptions, and explained major analytical choices. My interviewer asked extremely pertinent business and data questions which enriched my understanding of the issues and gave me ideas for improving my work. The Hiring Manager interview presented a mini-case for which I had to suggest a data solution to measuring the performance of a newly introduced feature on the Airbnb platform. The cross-functional interview was a very enjoyable conversation. Some of the questions included "Why Airbnb?", "Tell me about a time you changed a view you held", and "How have you made someone outside your immediate social circle feel that they belong?".   Answer Question

Data Scientist, Algorithms Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

Standard recruiter phone screen, followed by a take-home assignment. Classic case of "this should take you 4-8 hours", when in reality you could spend and entire weekend on the problem and not have a satisfactory solution. The project was to design, code, and test a listing recommender system for the Airbnb homepage. I was concurrently interviewing with a bunch of other companies and didn't have time to complete the project, despite finding the problem very interesting. They provided no feedback about the work I had put together; just a simple rejection email.

All in all, I actually think their interview process is quite disrespectful to candidates. It demands far too much time. The take home project could easily take 50+ hours to complete satisfactorily. Then, supposing you even make it past that point, there are two full days of onsite interviews. In retrospect, I should have declined and not wasted the time I could have spent better preparing for other interviews.

Interview Questions

• Design a recommender system for Airbnb listings   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

The interview process was a long series of mostly behavioral interview questions with a number of team members. These were usually short conversations about 30-45 minutes with immediate team and cross-functional team members.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time in your role that you had to overcome a challenging situation or project   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

phone interview, home project, on-site presentation and interview

Don't remember the phone interview questions, just remember they were easy.

Problem is that the company eagerly invited me to work on the take home project, and then come to their SF office for on-site, which includes presenting about the take home project, presenting a project from past work, and then other in-person interviews.

The bad experience I had is that I spent significant amount of time working on the take-home project (including data analysis, modeling and preparing powerpoint). Then driving 50 miles from South Bay to SF and to go to the on-site, but after finishing my presentation, they left the room and came back telling me that they think I am not a fit and the rest of interviews are cancelled.

Frankly I've never heard of this kind of procedures before. They don't care about the candidate's time. They only care about having the candidates do as much as possible. They only care about their own time.

Looking back, I think my background is not a good fit for the particular role (they look for market optimization experience while I have an ML background), but they really should have done a better job. The way they treat candidates is humiliating.

And afterwards, they refuse to reimburse for my cost of parking ($35). I wouldn't have asked them for reimbursement if it wasn't such a bad experience and such a waste of time for me driving back and forth between South Bay and SF, and only be told to leave after presenting. But they say they "only reimburse ground transportation if you are 70 or more miles away from the office". Again, I think this is very rude and arrogant.

I am going to boycott using airbnb. I don't believe such a company treating job candidates so poorly can be a company with good cultures, as what they claimed.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember the phone interview questions, just remember they were fairly easy.   Answer Question