Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Airbnb Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Was emailed by recruiter a week or two after submitting resume online to set up an initial phone interview. Interview was scheduled for the following week.

The phone interview consisted of a shared coder pad document. Interviewer was sometimes hard to understand, had to ask him to repeat himself quite a bit.

Question didn't seem hard, but I was unable to finish the problem.

Interview Questions

• Paginate an array with constraints, such as skipping certain items.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Applied online. Got contacted back by a recruiter 2 days after for scheduling a technical phone interview. Interviewed twice. Both of my interviewers were foreign (asian, probably chinese) and had hard accents to understand. I had to ask them more than once to repeat what they were saying. The first question was fair, the second was simply poorly worded. Interviewer called ~30 minutes late. I was annoyed by how interviewers simply copy and pasted questions from a question bank and asked me to read it. Even after wasting half of the interview trying to understand the question, given inconsistent variable naming, and a prompt with unclear examples. Even my second interviewer admitted that the question should be rephrased.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not hard. They tried to take regular brain teaser questions and make them seem practical but putting on a fictitious context (Airbnb has this problem...).   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Backend) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

They offer you either phone interview or online test. would recommend online test and cheat as the level of questions is freaking hard. If you go for phone interview, the phone interview is gonna be harder as the level of questions is too high

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me after I applied online. The process took about 2 months. It was one phone screen, and I heard back the next day. Then two back to back skype calls were scheduled about a week later. I heard back that I made it to the next round within the next week. Then I went onsite where I was given two interview questions. I did the interviews on my laptop onsite and they seemed like classic interview questions. After the two onsite interviews, I got coffee with one of the devs there and got to ask all my questions about the office. Then I had two culture interviews where I was asked more classic interview questions from people who worked in other divisions of airbnb like marketing and the such.
    After about a week I got an email asking to schedule a phone call, and during the call my recruiter told me that I got the offer.

The offer was honestly more than I could have ever asked for and the benefits were great, but the job itself sounded tedious so I ended up going with another company,

Interview Questions

• Write code to solve: palindrome pairs, justify, implement a queue, match pairs with similar preferences, so on and so forth. They were very difficult problems algorithm wise so be sure to listen to the person interviewing you and practice beforehand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb (New York, NY).

Interview

They just want the code to be running with no error.
    They don't care about the thinking process at all.
    The interviewer seems to be reading the introduction part from somewhere, very unfriendly.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Best interviewing process every. One screening call with a recruiter, two technical phone interviews, followed by an on-site interview where you have six interviewing sessions. The on-site interview includes two coding exercises, with an additional architectural design process. In the end, I really appreciated how friendly and genuine everyone was.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Phone screening round started with general introduction and then I was given the programming question. Overall good experience. The interviewer was nice, and helpful along the way. However, I felt the question was slightly advanced, and took more time than allotted especially if you are doing the question for the first time.

Interview Questions

• 1. Write a program to check a string is a palindrome.
      2. Given a list of words, find the word pairs that when concatenated form a palindrome.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

If it weren't for Glassdoor, I may not have gotten this position, so I feel obligated to write about my experience. Here goes -

My interview experience with Airbnb was overall a very smooth, albeit drawn-out, process. The reason it was so long was because there were 5 interviews and I selected to have a week's time between each one for personal reasons. My recruiter was so nice and so accommodating, so there were no problems at all with scheduling. There were two technical phone interviews, two technical Skype interviews, and one non-technical Skype interview.

The two phone interviews were probably my least favorite part of the interview process. Like many of the other software engineering interviewees for Airbnb on Glassdoor have said, my interviewers for this part of the process both had thick accents and were quite difficult to understand. Despite this, I nailed my first interview. I struggled a bit on the second interview (I needed a lot of help from the interviewer and it took the entire length of the call), but I eventually got a working solution and the interviewer seemed satisfied. It seems to me that for this part of the interview process, you will need a working solution that compiles and runs to move forward.

The two technical Skype interviews were a much more pleasant experience. Both of the interviewers were very easy to understand and incredibly helpful in both guiding me through the problem and answering all the questions I had about Airbnb. Again, I nailed the first interview and struggled on the second one. In fact, I didn't even manage to do any coding in the second interview at all. The question was very difficult and I had never seen anything like it during my interview prep. All I had time to do during the interview was type out a pseudo-code solution. Admittedly, I believe that the solution was a good one. Regardless, I was moved forward again after these interviews, so it's possible to move forward even if you don't have a coded solution to the problem that compiles and runs. The interviewer just wants to hear your thought process. In my case, it helped that I did so well on the first interview in this section.

The non-technical Skype interview was actually pretty fun, so it's nothing to worry about. Just be yourself.

About one week after the last interview I received my official offer.

Interview Questions

• Three out of four technical questions were questions you can find on Glassdoor for Airbnb software engineer interviews.   Answer Question
    • Given an IPv4 IP address p and an integer n, return a list of CIDR strings that most succinctly represents the range of IP addresses from p to (p + n).   1 Answer
    • From non-technical interview: If you had an unlimited budget and you could buy one gift for one person, what would you by and who would you buy it for?   Answer Question

Guest Experience Agent Interview

Interview

In addition to a resume, there was an awkward webcam "interview" process where you had to film yourself answering questions, sometimes pretending like you were talking to users on the phone.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in October 2016.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me and the process was pretty quick. I had an initial technical phone screen followed by onsite interviews. As mentioned in other reviews, they expect fully functioning code with no errors. So be well prepared. Also, they stress a lot on culture. It would be helpful to go through some of their blogs.