Akamai Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2017

3.2

Security Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Half-hour phone screen with a recruiter, half-hour phone screen with an engineering manager (mostly about experience and background, no technical questions), on-site interview with 4 people. Everyone was friendly and likable. Most of the questions were about my experience and background: only two or three problem-solving type questions.

Interview Questions

• Here is an application design diagram. How would you secure this application?   Answer Question

SDE1 Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akamai.

Interview

First Call: HR .very very friendly. Very helpful. told me what is expected in detail. Best HR interview.
    Second Call: Hiring Manager. Three easy questions. Based on Job Requirements
    Networking Protocols
    Handshake
    HTTP
    Security
    IPSEC
    Waiting for next round. Will update when it happens............

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone interview coupled with coding. Talked to the manager and she sounded nice and knowledgeable. Subsequently talked to a developer who claimed to be there for more than 10 years. He started asking general questions about experience and such and was eager to jump into the coding part.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find dictionary words from a scrambled text ("csary yarm" -> scary mary)
      2. Write an efficient function to compute 'Fibonacci' number

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was a referral candidate. Within a week of submitting my application, I got a call from the HR. As usual, normal HR related questions were asked and the HR asked me very basic networking questions and one question on Ajax call. Then the next week had an interview with the HM. The interview was largely on behavioral questions and he wanted to know my interest. The questions mostly were tricky like- if I call your previous manager,what would he say about you. The questions were mostly on how would you gel in a team, how would you react with conflicts within your team,etc. Then I was called for an onsite interview. Initially I was scheduled for 4 persons but when I met the team I interviewed with 5 people. 3 were pure technical and 2 were behavioral. The technical questions were heavily stressed on HTTP,HTTPS,TCP. Lots of questions were asked on SSL and Digital certificates. Question on how Akamai really works, how does the traffic get directed to their servers. The technical manager drew a graph and asked me questions related to the spikes in the graph and reasons how it is a DDOS or a normal traffic and how will you know what kind of traffic it is. The questions were mostly related to Layer 7 and he was expecting answers related to layer 7 not solutions which could be provided by the other layers.I was also asked a Logical question which I completely did not expect. Overall, It was good experience, everyone I met there were friendly and made me feel welcomed and comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Entire process of DNS?
      HTTP headers and HTTP request and response
      SSL process
      Digital Certificates entire process

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Akamai (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Contacted thru Indeed Prime, received an interest , actually with salary but mess afterwards. After I replied, didn't hear them then support tried to help and got another reply asking about dates, then nothing , Indeed Prime support sent emails, I sent email but not a word.
    if you want to test a system, DO NOT do this on real people. Probably some recruiter just wanted to test Indeed Prime. After initial conversation, you may discontinue process but, after you contact with candidate and ask for dates, you can't just simply dissappear.

Senior Product Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Akamai (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First manager telephone interview , followed by on-site interviews by other senior product architects and a product manager. On-site interview was almost four hours. Interviewers were nice people and asked questions that are relevant for the position.

Interview Questions

• Questions on HTTP caching , problem solving and design skills   Answer Question

Director Media Customer Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, some time later received an email from a recruiter, late at night, asking for time. We scheduled to talk the following day, in the afternoon, for 30 minutes. The recruiter called about 10 minutes too late and was eager to get off the phone. He would not respond to any question, saying that it is against their policy to answer (who is the hiring manager? what is the salary range? etc., normal candidate questions which other Akamai recruiters happily answered for me in the past). He would not provide any background on the role (that's up to the hiring manager) and I had the distinct impression he has not read my resume and cared very little about anything. He promised to get back to me "by the end of next week". Two weeks later, when an inside contact within Akamai reached out to him, he promised to get back to me, you guessed it, "by the end of next week", Akamai weeks must be very flexible and infinitely long.

In conclusion, shame on Akamai, a successful company can hire better recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Question to Akamai - I don't care that you do it to yourselves, but why inflict this incompetence on candidates?   Answer Question

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

2 Phone interviews. Onsite 3 rounds. One with the Architect was the hardest. Learn all abou the CDN infrastructure and DNS error codes. Also dive deep into TCP and UDP protocol structure.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about CDN?
      What is the maximum size a DNS packet can carry?
      TCP/UDP packet structure?
      AWK command
      Sticky Keys?

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Process was straight forward - phone screen with a manager then a full-day in-person interview day. l enjoyed meeting with the team and they were very open about the team, company, etc. Very refreshing to have a human conversation with your future team and really get to know what it will be like working with them rather than sitting in a room answering cookie cutter questions. They still asked important questions about my technical and management experience but did it in a way that felt like a conversation rather than a test

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about a time... xyz - disagreement between team members, a plan changed, etc.
      2) Tell me about a time you had to solve a technical hurdle that may not have been identified by the engineers

Personally I wasn't asked technical questions about DNS but I would highly recommend knowing your stuff when it comes to how the internet works, nameservers (all types - authoritative, recursive, top-level DNS, etc), networks, what happens when you hit enter in a browser, how a page is rendered/DOM loading order, ip addresses, etc
      1 Answer

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Boston, MA).

Interview

HR Round, basic technical question, next round was 45 min telephonics, focused on l4 and l5. Asked some analytical question. DNS, DHCP, STP. How to swap 2 numbers without using any module