Akamai Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.2

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Reston, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

There was a conversation with a recruiter that involved salary requirements and not much else, like a rubber stamp type conversation followed by a similar rubber stamp style interview (probably to establish cultural fit more than technical) with the hiring manager (no technical questions were asked) followed by an person interview with six people (two in pairs, two via video conference). There should have been more emphasis at every stage of screening - it would have saved everyone a lot of time. It was a pleasurable experience that would have been smoother if the team had been on the same page or if the recruiter had told me the full scope of what I was being evaluated for since it wasn't in the job description. I don't fault the recruiter for not knowing - this was clearly a telephone game situation where different people had different ideas about what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• Internet and systems architecture questions that were out of sync with the job description as advertised. It was like two of the interviewers were interviewing for a systems programmer role and not a full stack developer role. Also questions about what x or y was in relation to the full stack language and framework technology required for the job.   Answer Question

Technical Project Manager II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Akamai in April 2016.

Interview

First contact from recruiter in early March to ask if I was still interested in the role. Second contact in early May to setup a phone interview with the hiring manager for the following week.

I sent a thank you email and a follow-up email to the recruiter (unable to get the hiring manager's email address). The recruiter replied that the role was still open and that a decision had not been made.

Human Resources Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Quick, short, and to the point. I was going to be covering someone elses LTD leave. Interviewed with the person going on leave, their same level coworker, and the supervisor.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

a good interview, a good hr, a good manager. very fast process. almost everything worked quite well. 2 calls were there. then few documentation formalities. then on boarding. overall good experience. No problem at all. All interns join as temp employees. Salaries come from 3rd party who hired by akamai.

Negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Akamai (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process itself was smooth, the questions were straight forward. Just two rounds of phone interview since this was for an intern position. Each interview lasted only 30 minutes. But they are very rigid with extensions for offer deadline. I got a call almost everyday asking me when I'd be accepting the offer. This was very unprofessional. From my understanding its pretty common for students to use the full 2/3 weeks time that is provided to make a decision.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Akamai in February 2016.

Interview

HR takes a Technical Interview!
    I got a call from a HR in Akamai. The interview was supposed to be to know my "skills and experiences". The HR called me and started with an expected question " How is this position related to your experience and skill-set?" Right after I finished answering to this, she asks me the "difference between virtual and pure virtual functions". Even though I am pretty good at all these, I paused for a while trying to figure out why the lady is asking me this question. After I answered, she goes on to ask Networking questions!
    She started asking me the linux commands (How dumber can this get?) Ex: What is the command to find network latency between two servers. I answered a few but not all. No, this is not a system admin job! With just a simple google search I was able to know all the answers after the interview. I wonder if I don't know even a single command (hypothetically) but was an excellent programmer, would it have made a positive or a negative difference to the company.
    Dear Managers in Akamai, invest some of your resources for hiring. It is these people who will be working with you. Whether the engineer knows the commands or not does not make any difference, all that matters is if he has technical knowledge, can code and has a good track record!
    I haven't heard back from the HR cum C++ coder cum networking engineer yet. At this point, I don't even want a job from them who give a damn about recruiting new engineers.

Sustainability Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Akamai (Champaign, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

I received an email with details about an interview over phone and the time. On the day of the interview, I got a call at precisely the time mentioned and the interview took place over the phone for about 30 minutes. Most of the questions were directed at my previous job. There were questions on why I chose renewable energy and how I handled problems. At the end (and this is where I think I should have prepared more), I was asked questions on SQL. These questions were pretty basic and mostly about what do SQL statements like "Join", "Null", "inner Join" mean. Overall, I would say that the interview was quite informal with average difficulty.

Interview Questions

• What didn't you like about your work during your previous job and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Senior Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Just some advice, but always look for a job while you have a job once you suspect (or know) that there will be massive changes at your current company, because this made my experience with Akamai so much easier to bear. Thankfully, I have a job, but Akamai called me up and asked if I would be interested in new opportunities with them; so I was interested because I had applied in the past and they basically "ignored" me.

It started with a call from one of their HR recruiters and it was very light-hearted; but she did have some pre-canned technical questions, so it seems they do a light technical screen in that first introduction. If you cannot answer those initial (easy) questions, they KNOW you will not be able to get any farther; so I swept through the questions and then they set up a phone screen with the hiring manager. The second call was around my background, verifying details on my resume, and made very clear he was not interested in a technical phone screen; but more about my business acumen, pre-sales experience, etc.

The third call was definitely technical and questions jumped from explaining the "trip" from one's browser to the page and back to how web servers provide web streaming services, so it was more challenging. I got through the technical screen and was told someone would be in touch with me; but there was no UP or DOWN response as to my performance. Already 3 weeks "invested" in calls; but finally the HR recruiter contacted me and made clear that they were only interested in bringing me on-site if I am serious about accepting a potential job offer and that it is very competitive.

They informed me what topic they would cover during the on-site and that I would be expected to whiteboard solutions and answer a variety of questions. I went one step further and actually prepared a PowerPoint presentation to pre-empt any questions they might have. A TWO day investment "after hours”, but this would "kill two birds with one stone" because I can absorb more information while preparing my presentation and I would be able to be able to showcase some of my "soft skills".

Anyway, I felt the on-site went GREAT. I could see they were impressed and the presentation staved off some questions they probably had, because some in the meeting actually declined to ask questions. Then a final "interview" with their superior was over lunch, which basically covered Akamai as a company, what I know about them, my experience with them, it was very high level and more of an excuse for someone up top to "approve" the candidate.

Finally, there was a short chat on my way out with the hiring manager where he explained that Akamai puts everyone through about a year of training and that one more person was supposed to join us, but there was training going on. He mentioned that I should look at other opportunities if I join Akamai as they need people in other areas; but that I have some strong "soft skills" with a promise to receive a call within a week or so. Did that call ever come? Nothing. Not even a "thanks but no thanks", so everything that seemed positive ended with utter silence, which is disappointing and regretful.

Major Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I approached Akamai sales and was routed through a recruiter for a phone screen first off. The recruiter asked the typical gate keeper questions that are not always relevant to sales, but I got passed to the next phase. I met w the hiring manager and discussed 2 possible roles. Then had 1 peer interview and one engineer interview with people who are on/ support the team. Was then asked to telecon interview w 2 VPs of sales. One of these VPs told me to expect an offer. The hiring manger told me the same. I followed up after 9 days had passed with little contact and was told by the hiring manger that he had already filled both positions. Very disappointing and backs up the negative attitude I've heard from customers and competitors in the space. I feel like I dodged a bullet by not working here in the end.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your background. How did you come to Akamai?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai.

Interview

The hiring process conducted by Akamai is fairly consistent (based on what I've read from others). Follows the process as outlined by others for a TPM. Phone screen by recruiter, followed by phone screen by hiring Manager, then a phone screen by a senior team member and finally onsite interview that lasted 4 hours. Again as outlined by others the interview questions are pretty standard as described. They have a great training program onboarding employees so its not so much about do you know every specific technical area, but do you have the aptitude and willingness to learn.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions covered topics like TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, SSL/TLS, BGP, Packets, Routers, Cookies, Caching.   Answer Question