Akamai Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 18, 2017

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

1) phone call with Technical Recruiter
    2) phone call with hiring manager
    3) on-site interview with 5 current employees, including hiring manager
    It was a very positive experience. Every one I interacted with was interested in speaking with me (in contrast to my experience at some other companies).

Interview Questions

• Each interviewer asked one or two technical questions. It might seem that two was too many for the time allotted, but it wasn't. The interviewers kept things moving.   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Akamai (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and had three round of emails in 2 months with HR to make sure that I did not need H1B support. Then I got a phone call from CA.

Interview Questions

• Two questions: when you type google in your web browser, what will happen? Explain DNS.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Akamai in October 2016.

Interview

Had an interview with someone from human resources after speaking to Akamai at a career fair. Got an email asking me to schedule an interview two weeks after the fair. Was asked behavioral questions and the kind of software development experience I had. She promised to schedule a technical interview within a month, but no follow up after 4 months.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Akamai in September 2016.

Interview

applied through a campus recruiter. got a cell-phone screen and didn't hear back after that. They forgot to call me the first time we scheduled the screen, and rearranged the call at a time that I wasn't available the second time. Overall not a bad experience though, The recruiter I met at the career fair was very nice and cool.

Interview Questions

• current classes taken, interest in hardware vs software   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Manager and HR were so unprofessional. HR told that the manager and team liked me but they were not sure of hiring me because I didnt have QA experience(That was an entry level position). If they weren't sure why put me on "hold" for 4 weeks, a reject the following week would have better so much better. Besides this nonsense finally (after 4 weeks) I got a reject saying I was technically so good that they couldn't reject me but they were very particular about experience (for an entry level position). It was such a time waste interviewing with a group of unprofessional Indians.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Bellevue, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

TLDR: I'm glad I didn't get this position.

The process began with an HR phone screen, followed by a technical phone screen, and another technical phone screen. And finally, an in-person (sort of) interview loop. The whole process from first contact and interview loop was about one month.

The process was unnecessarily complicated. Both technical phone screeners asked duplicate questions. They didn't seem to care about soft skills or project management, which is odd for a TPM position. The questions asked were largely, "how does X work?," where X is HTTPS, firewalls, load balancers, DNS, TCP/IP, and HTTP2. I get the impression they wanted textbook answers.

The in-person interview made me question why I'd want to work for Akamai. I arrived at the Bellevue office 5 minutes early, and the entire office was dead. (There wasn't even a receptionist to greet me.) My first interviewer was 10 minutes late. The following 4 interviewers were conducted over video conference.

Much of the interview revolved around basic networking questions. For example, what happens when I enter an address in my browser and hit enter? How does TCP's 3-way handshake work? What's the difference between SAAS and PAAS? These types of questions make me think they're looking for robots, who can spew textbook answers back at them.

The interviewers clearly had specific answers in mind. For example, one interviewer asked "How would you explain cloud computing to a customer?" This is a very big question. And when I tried asking clarifying questions, my interviewer refused to be more specific. (Am I talking to an end user? A developer? A CEO?)

The biggest insult was that nobody from Akamai bothered to followup with me after the in-person interview. A polite "thanks for coming in" email would have done wonders to convince me that Akamai wasn't staffed by robots.

I have the feeling that the interview closely replicates the experience of working for Akamai: cumbersome, redundant, cold, and off-putting.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai.

Interview

Many, many calls. First, an email from a Talent Recruiter to schedule a call. Scheduled... this call was a technical screen to clearly weed people out. Passed. Then, a general call with hiring manager. Then a new recruiter leading to a scheduler (crazy amount of unnecessary layered positions). Followed by 4 hour in person via Skype with four different people (but at their remote rental Denver office). So, I was in their office- but they were all out of state. Creepy.

Interview Questions

• Anything from DNS to SQL queries. Nothing related to project management. Overall kind of weird & super annoying repetitive questions worded differently by each person. Annoyed interviewers who viewed you as wasting their time. They talk your ears off then immediately want questions from you... while you are still digesting everything that was just spat at you!   Answer Question
    • Why Akamai? But why? But why?   Answer Question
    • Why https? But why? But why....?   Answer Question
    • What is SSL? But like why...?   Answer Question

Product Architect/Product Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was referred by a friend, got a call from HR for a quick conversation to make sure that my background and profile is a match. After that spoke to the hiring manager for around an hour and was asked to come in for an onsite interview. I was interviewed by another Senior Product Architect, Product Manager, Director and the hiring manager. Overall, it was a great experience, the team was very transparent, pretty straight forward questions, everyone was super excited to talk about Akamai and its future.

It took almost a month to get an offer after HR called me to inform me that they will be extending an offer, it was simply because their HR system was being migrated to a new platform. HR did an awesome job on keeping me up to date with regular check in. Very impressive!

Very very positive experience and excited to join the team.

Interview Questions

• Mix of behavioral and technical questions, make sure you know your resume well and describe your experiences.   Answer Question

Senior Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akamai (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

Had 4 phone interviews followed by an on-site interview.
    The process is entirely idiotic. I had 4 phone interviews before the on-site. And all the four people did a video conference at their Boston office since the position was in Santa Clara. Overall, the interview was easy and I have done pretty well.

Interview Questions

• HTTP, Network basics, Troubleshooting, Regular expressions in Python   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online. A recruiter called and asked basic questions like why Akamai, why this position, where do you see yourself in 3 years, tcp handshake, dns related questions, few linux commands.
    2nd- Technical Interview- http, http headers, dns, bgp, redistribution, mpls. Onsite- 5 interview 45 min each. 4 were technical and 1 behavioral.
    Prepare your resume thoroughly.

Interview Questions

• 1. What information is there in DNS error messages?
      2. http status codes, http cookies, troubleshooting scenario.
      3. SSL, SSL handshake, zero- day exploit and how would you handle it, tcp-syn attack n some other kinds of attacks.
      4. difference between juniper and cisco, ospf.
      5. how do you motivate yourself and others, tell me about a time when you had to bend the rules, how did you come across this position.   Answer Question