Akamai Interview Questions in Reston, VA | Glassdoor

Akamai Interview Questions in Reston, VA

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Reston, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

There was a conversation with a recruiter that involved salary requirements and not much else, like a rubber stamp type conversation followed by a similar rubber stamp style interview (probably to establish cultural fit more than technical) with the hiring manager (no technical questions were asked) followed by an person interview with six people (two in pairs, two via video conference). There should have been more emphasis at every stage of screening - it would have saved everyone a lot of time. It was a pleasurable experience that would have been smoother if the team had been on the same page or if the recruiter had told me the full scope of what I was being evaluated for since it wasn't in the job description. I don't fault the recruiter for not knowing - this was clearly a telephone game situation where different people had different ideas about what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• Internet and systems architecture questions that were out of sync with the job description as advertised. It was like two of the interviewers were interviewing for a systems programmer role and not a full stack developer role. Also questions about what x or y was in relation to the full stack language and framework technology required for the job.   Answer Question

Network Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Akamai (Reston, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter about an open Network Admin position at the Reston, VA location. I submitted my resume, made it through the phone interview, and was invited in for in-person/video interviews with local VA staff, and Cambridge, MA staff. The interviews seemed to go well; I answered all their questions successfully. The interviews concluded with them saying they'd follow up in a few days. I never heard anything back at all. No "Sorry, we're not interested" or anything. Very unprofessional. I called my recruiter back, but they had no information after the point that they put me in direct contact with Akamai. I didn't have any direct email addresses for the people who interviewed me, but a quick browse of the website showed me the general email address format, so I took a guess and sent "thank you" emails to everyone I interviewed with. None of the emails bounced back to me, so they were delivered somewhere. However, I never heard anything from anyone.

I was very disappointed. In addition to being well qualified for the position, Akamai has a reputation of being a great place to work. Unfortunately, their interviewing/hiring practices leave something to be desired. At least in the VA office.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really. Just run of the mill IT questions.   1 Answer

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Reston, VA) in April 2012.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by Akamai's internal recruiter who did a basic check of my background to see if it fit the job description. I was contacted then a week later for an additional phone interview by a Service Line Manager, and again the following week by another Service Line Manager from the west coast.

At that point, I was asked to come on site for an in-person interview. This interview was about 5 hours, and was with about 6 different people. This ranged from meeting with who would later become my direct report supervisor, a Senior Sales Manager, a Practice Manger, two other senior solutions engineers, and an account executive that would be paired with whomever was selected for the role.

This interview helped give me a great insight into the culture of the company and helped me realize how many smart people there actually were at all levels of the organization. The number of people who had been there for 7+ years was a great indication that people were happy with the company and not just there for a few years before moving onto the next "big thing".

At the end of the week, I was contacted again by my future supervisor who had a few additional questions for me. At the end of the conversation, the supervisor indicated he was interested in moving forward with me and began salary discussions. After asking my requirements, he said they would make an offer that he did not want to go through multiple rounds of negotiation and that he felt I would be happy with.

Later that day, I was contacted by HR who gave me verbal details of the offer and indicated he would overnight the official offer letter the next business day. The offer exceeded my original requirements and then some.

Interview Questions

• Describe how DNS works. What would the flow look like from a user's request to final destination.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not any real negotiation. After asking my requirements, they actually exceeded the requirement. The company indicated they wanted to move quickly and made an offer to end discussions I was having with other companies at the same time.