Akamai Senior Principal Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Akamai

1 Interview Review

Senior Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

I have worked here before, but these particular interviewers did not know me at all. This was for a quite senior engineer position, though the questions felt like they could/would be asked of anyone. Note that it was senior but not management.

Overall I'd call it a tough interview that did not focus on annoying gotcha puzzles and more or less stayed on the topic of reasonably realistic design/coding/architecture matters. I appreciate this, as it won't weed out people who can't handle "brainy" questioning that's more fit for, I don't know what, but not actual engineers. There was also no "do this hard thing in 2 hours on your own" types of challenges, which I also appreciate.

Somewhat annoying was the lack of time to explore each question, as 45 minutes was not enough given the pace of discussion. This, of course, depends on the interviewee, but I was having healthy discussions, not hemming and hawing.

Interview Questions

• Architect elevator system   1 Answer
  • Some tricky concurrency question answering which is only possible with experience of relatively low-level details of various lock types and other details.   Answer Question
  • Implement a queue using only stacks.   1 Answer
  • Describe how to implement, basically, Java's LinkedHashMap.   1 Answer
  • Discuss pros and cons of a past project I worked on back in 2005-2007 at the same company. Discuss design aspects of this project and how they might have been improved to make it more successful.   1 Answer