Akamai Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Akamai Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone interview coupled with coding. Talked to the manager and she sounded nice and knowledgeable. Subsequently talked to a developer who claimed to be there for more than 10 years. He started asking general questions about experience and such and was eager to jump into the coding part.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find dictionary words from a scrambled text ("csary yarm" -> scary mary)
    2. Write an efficient function to compute 'Fibonacci' number
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Akamai

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Akamai (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Contacted thru Indeed Prime, received an interest , actually with salary but mess afterwards. After I replied, didn't hear them then support tried to help and got another reply asking about dates, then nothing , Indeed Prime support sent emails, I sent email but not a word.
    if you want to test a system, DO NOT do this on real people. Probably some recruiter just wanted to test Indeed Prime. After initial conversation, you may discontinue process but, after you contact with candidate and ask for dates, you can't just simply dissappear.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Interviewed for C++ heavy position in a core group at Akamai. First received Linkedin inquiry from outside recruiter, then phone call. Then phone conversation with inside recruiter, including salary expectations. Then phone interview with hiring manager, which was mostly conversational. I had an onsite interview following week. Met hiring manager in-person, chatted about general topics. Next three one-hour sessions with two engineers each covering coding, design, and brain teasers. All questions very straight forward. Engineers kept the interviews moving nicely by asking questions and providing suggestions. Surprisingly, there were no HR-style soft questions, which was great. Finally had hour long discussion with different hiring manager. Everyone was friendly and professional. Great company.

Interview Questions

• I won't reveal actual coding question, but it one of the easy ones in CTCI.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

1) phone call with Technical Recruiter
    2) phone call with hiring manager
    3) on-site interview with 5 current employees, including hiring manager
    It was a very positive experience. Every one I interacted with was interested in speaking with me (in contrast to my experience at some other companies).

Interview Questions

• Each interviewer asked one or two technical questions. It might seem that two was too many for the time allotted, but it wasn't. The interviewers kept things moving.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Akamai (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied for the role in July 2015 and got a call for telephonic interview in Feb 2016. The interview process is very slow. A recruiter called me and set up telephonic with the Hiring manager. Telephonic interview was just screening, he asked to write link list program and asked me to explain my roles in teams.

I was asked to fly down to akamai office for interview. The interview consist of 3 panels and final hiring manager interview.

1st Panel asked me basic questions on link list and NAT.
    2nd Panel asked me about design
    3rd Panel asked me about socket programming

Overall the ambiance, basic courtesy was good. But the interview panels was very rude and mocked me about immigration status. 1st panel passed comments during coding. It was very harsh.

Interview Questions

• 1: Reverse a link list example
             A -> B -> C -> D
          If the user says two as the order of reversal, the output should be
            C -> D -> A -> B
      2. Create data structures for NAT table. The entries should flush if no activity for 10 mins.

3. Design Akamai CDN network. Interviewer drew three circles. a. Client b.Akamai overrelay network c.Origin. How efficiently Client can connect to origin through akamai.

4. TCP socket programming.

5. SYN flooding problem - How to protect TCP program from hacking.

6. How to handle multiple clients say 1 Million in TCP server.

7. What will be the size of executable for these two programs

int a;
           };
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter. First phone interview where they asked Java core questions. Then phone interview with the hiring manager, he was pleasant and seemed to like my experience. In person interview was with 4 people. They asked technical and brain teasers. One guy put me on the spot several times. he didn't seem to like my answers even though they were reasonable.
    Asked about stack implementation
    Asked the light bulb question on 100 floors.

Then the response was they were looking for a principal engineer, Guys don't you read the resume???

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

Friend of mine referred me.
    Recruiter called an scheduled a phone interview.
    An engineer called and asked technical questions.
    Recruited called back the same day and scheduled an onsite interview.
    Interviewed by 4 engineers and an engineering manager.
    A week later recruiter responded with an offer.
    Negotiated the renumeration package and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions covering algorithms, data structures and systems design.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akamai (Cambridge, MA) in January 2014.

Interview

Hiring manager phone interview first. 4 hr technical interview. Two interviewers each round. Some through video conference. No lunch. Making offer decision quickly. Problem solving questions. Algorithm. Coding. Solution don't have to be perfect. But thorough analysis and design.

Interview Questions

• Read printout code with bugs or inefficient code. Find them and fix them   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, depending on how much they want you.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akamai.

Interview

Horrible and frustrating experience. Boasted hiring innovative personnel but really wanted to hire those they can control and who will follow the company's rules. Met with MIT alumni and other similarly "educated" personnel who touted their academics. Not a company and environment I felt that I can work happily and be creative.

Interview Questions

• No behavioral or best fit questioning. Requirements of detailed explanations of algorithms that are taught and used only in graduate schools and not in the field. Having frequently been on the hiring side and having multiple academic degrees as well, I understand they are trying to weed out posers, but unfortunately, they weed out common sense, practicality and experienced professionals with familiarity in qualifying business products. Their methods only exposed that they were really looking for drones to fill their lines.   Answer Question

Not conducive to a happily balanced work environment

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Akamai in August 2013.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter. Phone interview was technical on C basics like pointer manipulations and a design question on string manipulation.
    Onsite was very technical interview on multi-threaded web-server design, coding, string manipulations. Explain the challenging projects...etc.