Akira Chicago Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.2

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akira Chicago (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

After applying on Indeed, I was contacted by Derek (one of Akira's recruiters) to set up an interview. The whole process moved relatively quick.

The position that was posted online said it was both a full and part time position. So, two days before my in-person interview I called Derek and inquired if the position was indeed salaried or hourly, to which I was told it was salaried.

Fast forward to my interview: The Akira warehouse is not in a good part of the city--directly off the California Green Line stop.

I knew the second I walked in, that I was not a good fit for this place. I understand that it is, in fact, a warehouse. But it was not a clean or welcoming environment --more disorganized chaos than anything else. I noticed right away that there were yellow sticky traps collecting bugs right over the 'kitchen area!' A lot of people appeared to have just rolled out of bed. The floor was littered with garbage.

I spoke with someone named Sara. The interview itself went really well, but only towards the end did I realized I had just wasted my time and hers. I asked, yet again, if the position was salaried and I was told a firm 'no' and that there were no plans on making it a salaried position any time soon. I truly wish I had known this beforehand.

I do believe that Akira is a great place to work for students and recent college grads looking to add to their resume.

IT Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akira Chicago (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. I was called twice for the interview. I spoke with Derek (HR), IT director and other staff. They were so cool. The interview is easy and duration is around 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my previous experience, other basic interview questions   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Akira Chicago (Aurora, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I emailed akira a resume and cover letter and got a email back the next day to set up an interview. Two days later I had my interview and I have never felt more comfortable in a interview ever! The hiring manager was super sweet and I didn't feel nervous at all! I was able to communicate smoothly as if I was talking to a friend! After the interview ended she told me that the other managers were in the store already so she would talk to them right then. About 5 minutes later she came back and told me I got the job and I started two days after!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Only thing I think people who want to apply here should know is that it's not an easy job. If you are looking for a job that's easy money than akira is not for you. You need to want the job and commit to the responsibilities that come with it. If you love retail though and you are a hard worker than akira is perfect!

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Akira Chicago.

Interview

Pretty relaxed. They wanted me to do most of the talking. They started by asking me how I saw myself working at AKIRA. The interview centered around selling and people skills.

Management Team Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Akira Chicago in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and the recruiter was pleasant in setting up a time. When I arrived to the facility, it was clear that the person who was interviewing me had no idea she had an interview that day.

I get that mistakes happen, but I don't think that it's okay not to read my resume before we stepped in the room. Interviewing is a nerve-wracking experience, so to be interviewed by someone who hasn't read your resume just feels off-putting.

What was laughable was that toward the end of the interview, the interviewer asked me what position I was interested in. The interview was barely 30 minutes and after the way I was treated, I wouldn't be interested in an offer. Based on my treatment thus far, I cannot recommend that anyone goes through the process unless they are in definite need of a job.

My recommendation to the recruiting team is to set up a work form isolating areas of talent that you're seeking to fill on your team. That way interviews can at least have a guide, if it's not structure. I would also invest in a HR coordinator at this company, or someone with significant staffing skills. That way you can think of incoming talent as more than just someone who just lives and breaths Akira. You need business minded talent doing the behind the scenes work to fill vacancies in openings.

If you're someone like me that's passively interested and you are seeking a change, I don't think this is the change to make or pursue.

I also think it says a lot when you ask more insightful questions than the amount of total questions they asked you. Akira may pride itself on being unconventional but they need to have a structured interview.

Best of luck.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked any questions that were relevant to the actual position. I was asked what I was doing at my current employer and why I was looking for new employment.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Akira Chicago (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Not professional, had no clue as to what the perks and cons was with the job. Couldn't tell me anything about the company and the development of upper management.

Interview Questions

• What makes you different from anybody else?   1 Answer

Tasker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Akira Chicago (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I brought my resume up to the store and I called them back a week later to check my status of my resume, the manager told me to come in for a interview. The interview was not bad at all, you jist have to be confident. The manager was nice and patient and it was a group interview.

Interview Questions

• -what animal describes yourself and why?
      -what color fits your personality?
      -who is your fashion icon?
      -why Akira?
      The manager took us back to the store and gave us seven items each and we had to put as many items back in like 4 minutes
      Answer Question

Stylist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Akira Chicago (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I met with a store manager for a 1:1 interview for the 1st interview then a on the floor shadow for the 2nd interview and was offered the job right after

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Akira Chicago (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I was so excited to interview here because I love the clothes and was sick of my current blasé internship & ready to get back into the retail industry.
    I went in for three separate interviews, the first two were a one on one with the Director and the next with a Manager. These went great, similar questions asked - casual and I loved the hands on part. The last was a hands on interview where they cleared a table for me to do. One of the interviewees was running late from traffic, never showed, and did not follow up with an explanation. I never heard back from the company after the interviews. I'm disappointed in the professionalism of this company.

Interview Questions

• Why Akira?
      Tough situation that you overcame?
      Proudest achievement?
      Pick item you hate in store, then style.
      Pick a different item you hate in store style, create another look for a mannequin with first outfit.
      Answer Question

Visual Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Akira Chicago (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied for the Visual Merchandising Internship and got a reply back the next day. Scheduled for a FaceTime interview the following Monday and NEVER received the call. Emailed the recruiter after 30 minutes of waiting and never received a reply.