Alarm.com Device Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Alarm.com Device Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Alarm.com

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Vienna, VA).

Interview

Had a brief interview with a riddle shortly after first talking with the recruiter. After being invited to their Vienna HQ for a final technical interview, I was declined an offer even though I felt like I had a really good experience at the final interview. The final technical involved a few riddles, a few C coding questions, a written test, and talks with some of their top level technical execs.

Interview Questions

• They showed a board from one of their devices and asked to identify the various components on it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Alarm.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Vienna, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied through my university's job portal. Alarm.com saw my resume and gave me a call in early September 2013. The caller was friendly; we talked about my resume, my experiences, and they asked me some behavioral questions.

Then, Alarm offered me an on-site interview a week later. They paid for my flight and the hotel. However, my plane was delayed about 3 hours and I ended up in an airport an hour away in Baltimore. Ended up taking a taxi to DC with two others and then to Vienna alone. Due to an address mix-up, didn't get to my hotel until 2 am. Luckily I woke up for my 9 am interview.

I went to the waiting room first where I waited with 3 other candidates. I ended up going through the interview process with 2 of the candidates (we interviewed separately at the same time).

The on-site interview consisted of a series of one-person interviews. In order:
         -A lead device engineer talked to me about my resume and asked me a brainteaser
         -Another lead device engineer gave me a PCB and asked me to identify all the components on it. In addition, he asked me to identify common acronyms used in microcontroller and embedded programming (SPI, I2C, UART, etc.)
         -A sheet with some basic coding questions
         -Lunch with some employees and the two candidates. We had good conversation.
         -An engineer interviewed me and asked me a C coding question with bit-shifting
         -The CTO interviewed me and we talked about why I wanted to join Alarm.com, etc.

I had a great experience with the interview process. Everyone was very friendly and enthustiastic about their work. The engineers are all young; most of them have been out of college for a year. The culture is like that of a start-up, but Alarm.com has been around for 10 years and has carved out an established niche for the market that it's in.

Interview Questions

• The bit-shifting problem had me thinking for a while, but I got it with some prodding.   Answer Question

Alarm.com is a very small company, so I felt like working there would limit my career opportunities in terms of breadth and exposure. Also, they wanted me to make my decision by the end of October, at which point I hadn't received any other offers. I got a two week extension, but ultimately ended up declining. They were really nice about it; they even let me talk to a current employee about his application process and why he chose Alarm.com.

If I had a few more offers on the table, I could have made a more informed decision, but Alarm.com wasn't enticing enough for me to place it at the top of my job list with no competition. I had a good experience with the interview process overall.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

I had an on campus interview the day after the career fair. They called me after looking over my resume and were almost already booked on interview slots. The recruiter I spoke to was very nice and easy going.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a coding question involving a 16x16 grid populated by LEDs where the columns where represented from 0-15 bits and the rows were only represented by two bytes 0-1. They asked me to write a C script to turn on any of the given LEDs. They only have me the variable name that represented the array of LEDs [16][2].   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Tysons, VA) in March 2018.

Interview

Started with a simple HR screen, which was then followed up by a technical screen with one of the Device Engineers in their Needham location. Was then given a basic coding proficiency test. At about four weeks into the process, I was asked to do in person interviews at their Tyson's location. I did three fairly technical interviews about the position and my experience. After this, I had a Skype interview with two more engineers from the Needham location. All interviews went very well, yet after 7 weeks of interviewing I received a canned response saying I was not selected. A very long interview process with lots of downtime in between interviews, it is a bit disappointing it took this long to get a rejection email.

Interview Questions

• A few brain teasers during the in person interviews. Coding test was mainly algorithms and data structures.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Boston, MA) in January 2020.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me for a phone interview 1.5 months after I submitted my application.

The phone screen consisted of logistical and behavioral questions. The Interviewer started to rush the interview towards the end. The interviewer informed me that I would hear back within a week. The phone screen ended in 15 minutes.

I got a rejection email 5 days after the phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Willing to relocate? authorized to work in US?
      What do you know about the company?
      Why did you choose this position?
      What is something you learned recently from job/school?
      Tell me about one of your most recent projects.
      Any questions for the interviewer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tysons, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Tysons, VA) in October 2019.

Interview

ADC (alarm.com) was always very quick to reply and the entire process from application to offer took just under a month. Everyone who interviewed me was kind and courteous -- it was a great experience!

The 'interview' was a 3 stage process:
    1) Basic phone screen
    2) Online code challenge
    3) All day on-site

Interview Questions

• Basic screen was a mix of behavioral and high level questions about technical knowledge. This was followed by an online code challenge which was some leetcode easy / medium level questions. Finally, the onsite ran the gamut from hardware to behavioral to software design questions depending on the interviewer.   Answer Question

Device Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Alarm.com in February 2019.

Interview

The process was long for me but not too bad. I had 2 phone interviews and then a coding challenge which was 4 somewhat basic c questions on hacker rank.

Device Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Alarm.com in October 2011.

Interview

The interview lasted around 30 minutes. The first 15 minutes were about the knowing my qualification and the rest 15 minutes were about the company and the position. Some behavioral questions were asked and a circuit board was given and asked what do you think it is. My first interview, did not do that well, no response after two weeks.

Device Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Alarm.com in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewer was quite friendly. He asked everything from my Resume. He asked me to explain projects & my role. He has asked simple questions about it.

He gave me a simple brain teaser.

Application

Interview

Had a Panel interview. 6 interview rounds. Panel was suddenly changed. Had an event interview. There was a lot of Alumni influence in the company though. Nice company to work though. Showed us labs and work area. 7 other candidates were flew in there at Virginia. The HR was really nice and so were the top notch people in the company.

Interview Questions

• Draw a logic equation with only NAND gates with minimum number of NAND gates   Answer Question
    • State Machine Diagram for a sequence   1 Answer