Alaska Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2017

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

I was very disappointed in the application process. With having to input so much information on to my resume, then application with 10 year work history and duties and reason for leaving only to have the application error then causing a freeze which erased my 45 plus mins of 10 year history data Input, not once but twice.

Needless to say I couldn't give it a 3rd chance due to me only have 6 hours from having seen the post to the apps deadline.

Alsakas Sky's may be friendly, but there job application is not.

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

Warning for those current or former flight attendants asked to attend the "all day face to face and group interview": don't waste your time or money!!
    They are using you as "ringers" for who they really want, which are young, inexperienced, workers. I fell for the bait and did the "all day experience", at my own cost (which was hefty for Seattle in the summer-$200+ per night in hotel, $40 each way cab ride to the very out of the way venue with no parking, plus meals, etc.). They knew they weren't going to hire you, period, before you even showed up. Out of 42 people at the "experience", 30 were current or former airline, and not ONE was selected. We all realized *after* the day, that they never were going to choose us anyway. We were there to set a high interview standard for the 6 they actually offered training to. The job is very competitive, yes, but we were all overly qualified for the position. They *only* took the non airline people, period, and at that, they also were the youngest in the room. After much discussion amongst all the ones that were not selected afterwards, we all collectively agreed that they weren't interested in any of us from the start. We are smart enough and experienced enough to realize this. Now, I'm not saying that no one from another airline wouldn't get hired, BUT I will put the odds at zero to none. Very, very slim chance. We all knew *afterwards* that we had been used; sadly, we all really truly felt that Alaska was where we wanted to work- but not so much after this experience. The odd part was, we all individually felt that the interviewers were bored and uninterested in us individually- until we all were collectively told we weren't selected and started discussing the situation amongst ourselves. The candidates were actually the best of the best-and Alaska knows that- they actually told one of my fellow candidates so, AND they made the comment that they did NOT want people from other airlines "because they bring the culture from that airline here..". Well, hello, maybe some of us didn't like the "culture" we were in and wanted to work for a different one??? It's such a shame, and we were all so disappointed; it wasn't that we didn't get the job, it's we all KNEW we were used, and it CLEARLY was a waste of time. There were at LEAST 10 airlines represented, they can't ALL be wrong about us. We were ready, polished, and perfect, but it really didn't matter. So I reach out to those of you who *know* that you *think* you want to work there. Think again. It really does nothing for you.
    For those of you who have never worked for an airline..go for it! You are the one they want! (Just so you know, there were HORIZON flight attendants who did NOT get it! Horizon is Alaska!)
    I'm not going to write an out the questions or how to act, or what to do, because the truth is, they really aren't looking for anything but someone young and inexperienced that they can train and mild the way they want. That's it. Even those that are customer experience Davy; that is of no interest. They want people who will learn, period. They already *know* airline people are the best candidates; they don't care. So, again, don't waste your time or money.

Interview Questions

• What about being a reserve?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was invited to do the digital interview and then a few days later, an in person interview in Seattle, Wa. The in person interview started at 8am and lasted to about 4:30 exactly. We started with check in, introduction videos, and then meet and greet with our table and an HR and/or flight attendant to ask basic questions and get the juices flowing, they also allowed us to ask our own Q's. After that we had our assigned times for our individual interviews and then our group interviews (its all random assignment). Once that was nearing the end, I noticed they were slowly starting to grab people to let them go and that sped up a bit after they deliberated for about 45mins which cut it down to almost half the starting group that came in. A little more time passed and then they came in with our reviews and papers from our interviewers to read off names, make sure everyone was there and then they brought us into the room, sat us on the couch and were told to stand when our name was called. At this point every single Alaska member that was there was crowding around so we can a pretty good idea we had made it. Once we all stood, they told us congrats on behalf of Alaska and they'd like to offer us a position as a flight attendant, which was followed by passing out of lanyards with tears of joy and hugs all around.

Passenger Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (San Jose, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Loooong! Competitive! and very selective!
    you get a video interview if they like you they set you up to go to a 4 hours in person interview.
    I am so impressed and disappointed on how they really even said that sometimes they even have 60 candidates in one day and at the end go empty handed"
    there were about 15 candidates and let me tell that some of the ones that came were not dress so professional , 2 girls with tide dress and wedges one showing her open chest, I was dress in a professional way blazer ,dress shirt,slacks.
    they did the presentation which they made it seem it was a "fun/hard work"
    i did not like the fact that they are very selective like if you were to work for the cia or the fbi when it is only a customer service position ( you care and love to serve people to the best of you) but i guess that it is not enough for them this is my 3rd interview and no matter how I've prepared myself for this interview is never enough for this people.
    and the funny part is that the ladies recruiters DO NOT EVEN LOOK PRESENTABLE AT ALL , messy hair and they look tired like if they are there but not wanting to be there, not just because you are the recruiter have to look unpresentable .
    while in the orientation she mention : " if you have 2 jobs then you have to think how will you manage, because we mite call you to come in to work and alaska have to be you priority" i was like what? they seem to be so blind working for this airline like "you have to breath, dream, and worship ,alaska spirit"
    nah..not worth it!
    i really do not know waht they look or expect in a candidate been my 3rd time i even felt discriminated because i am 100% sure i did my best and prepare myself because i know how demanding competitive they are, but they go ridiculous beyond selective.
    even if they would off offer me the position i would off feel emotionally bad knowing they will be checking every aspect of my job performance that it will be very uncomfortable to be working in an environment like alaska airline offers.
    i am sure there are 100 of airlines that really see your potential and what can you give to the company
    at the end i did not get and offer i received a called saying :" you were a really strong candidate, but unfortunately you were not chosen" i was like ok.....
    how come some one be a very strong candidate and not be chosen???
    oh well , i will not try ever again they make you feel welcome and rejected at the same time and i don not think i can work with people like that .
    there way better customer services jb out there that really appreciate and value your customer service experience.
    i will not waste my time any more with a so call company that demands too much since the beginning , i can not even imagine how is it once you in.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU OUT THERE .THIS WAS MY NOT SO GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS COMPANY.

Interview Questions

• Why Alaska Airlines? I think this is the question that put you in the spot for the job.   1 Answer

Reservation Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Kent, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied on-line - moved to a virtual interview. This was very strange and uncomfortable. I was at my computer at my home, using my web cam. A question would appear on the screen and then I video taped myself answering it. I had a few chances to record the ones I liked. It was a timed test too. I completely blew it. I couldn't stop laughing. Awful format to interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Tacoma, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Did a video interview on an app on my iPad. It contained 2 flight attendants asking 10 questions. They asked, I received 30 seconds to think of my answers and had 1 minutes to articulate it.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one time you diffused a situation with an angry customer.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

The process was challenging but completely rewarding! Orientation at first, then group interview questions. Then one-on-one with flight attendants and HR, followed by group exercises. Throughout the process people were eliminated. Make sure to dress professional appearing a flight attendant. Things to consider, skirt length should be modest, make up natural and be yourself!

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application in late Feb / early March and I was notified that they accepted my application in late March. Phone interview was scheduled for April 9th and they were very accommodating in selecting a day and time of day. I was successful in my phone interview (usual questions about why you want to work for Alaska Airlines and briefly describe how I went the extra mile for a customer) and I was invited to the next phase of the process which was the group and one on one interviews.
    I was again given a couple of choices of either Portland Or, or San Diego so I chose San Diego as it was scheduled for April 20th and Portland was April 12th (too soon). Keep in mind that you have to provide your own transportation to the interview sites and you are also responsible for food and lodging. If you want it bad enough, you just do it even if you have to drive there and stay with relatives which is what I did.
    Last phase of hiring process began bright and early at 8:00am on April 20. I would suggest that you scope out the meeting place the day before and show up a half hour before the start as they will not allow access after 8:01am.
    The morning started with a few video clips interspersed with talks from various Flight Attendants (FA's) and HR staff. We broke up into 4 different groups ( about 60 plus total people at event) and performed some group exercises. After break we gathered again ,the group of 15 was pared down to about 6-7.The 6-7 people were then taken individually by a FA to go over minimum requirements for jobs and then a one on one with HR person. After that process, we were taken out individually and told whether we moved on to the next round.
    The next round consisted of about 6-7 people from the first 2 groups. We then went through some group exercises that gauged team work ability, customer service skills and in some case just general knowledge and logic on just about every area. It was fun if that kind skills test comes naturally to you. The most important things to remember and I have seen it stated before on this thread is to SMILE constantly (but don't be fake about it, be sincere), Be HONEST, and be yourself. If you are acting, someone , somewhere will catch you and your journey is over.
    We were then brought to another room and told that we would be taken out individually to be told of the results. They took the 1st person out and after a couple of minutes they came back in to inform the rest of us that we got the job (contingent on passing a 5 week training class in Seattle, WA.

A couple of suggestions. If you already have a Passport book, bring it. If you do not and you are serious about this new job field, then I would suggest that you spend the 120.00 so at least the paperwork is started as it is a 8 week process to get your Passport book. Also they did stress that it is rare that the onsite interview process takes 2 days but it did take 2 days in San Diego. If you fly in be prepared to change your flight and come with an extra outfit.

All in all, it was a great interview process! I don't say that because I was successful, I say that because you will eventually see what they are hoping to achieve with this process and that is the continued success of this highly sought after Airline. There were a LOT of FA's from other airlines and I did not see a lot of those that had raised their hands in the morning to the time the dust settled in the afternoon. There are looking for a special type of FA but if you are unsuccessful the first time they very much encourage you to try again and again if need be.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Portland, OR) in April 2013.

Interview

Ok...I just had to post this!! I went to an Alaska Airline hiring event yesterday April 23,2013 in Portland OR. and wanted to let everyone know what to expect when Interviewing with Alaska. I would say at least 150 people came...and they chose around 17 ppl. It was VERY disappointing to say the least. First, what Alaska tells you to expect on their website is not what to expect when it comes down to whom they are looking for as an employee. They chose VERY odd individuals...A bartender, a barista, a hairdresser...not the nurses...the ex-flight attendant's...really no one with good experience. They tell you right away that if there is a 911 on the plane...your it!!! Well then wouldn't you want a nurse or a ex-flight attendant to help you on the plane....not a bartender or a hairdresser??? They ask you to tell them something about yourself that is not on your Resume and to give yourself bragging rights about that something...two of the individuals they chose of the 17 spoke of awesome grandkids and the other spoke of being a avid sports fan of the LA lakers. Then a ex-flight attendant whom they didn't choose stood and spoke of something not on her Resume which was that she had been giving a reward for catching the "fake hi-jacker" in a mock up when she flew for the airlines...Again...wouldn't you want an ex-flight attendant on your flight that has those bragging rights..not the individual that say's..."GO LAKERS" and her grandkids are cute!! ODD Alaska Airlines...I have such a different opinion of Alaska Airlines now....NOT GOOD!!!

Interview Questions

• Group question were in sets of 3 people and your all asked a specific question to answer from..."passenger won't put on seatbelt" to "fellow employee is texting while taking off"...what do you do?   3 Answers
    • They DON'T drug test you that day... they send you to Seattle for that; and most of you will be sent home at lunch...which is around noon after the group interview. They kept the 17 people for the one-on-one interview's. For me to walk out with over 100 others people that were very HIGHLY qualified made me not feel as bad...but still I was very frustrated. Then to top it off....you can't re-apply for the flight attendant position for 1 year....that is HORRIBLE to make these very QUALIFIED people wait that long to try again.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

Just smile a lot. Let them know that you are flexible, outgoing, and that you work well with others. Did I say smile a lot? Make eye contact, and be flexible.

Interview Questions

• If a passenger was holding a carryon and did not want to place it underneath the seat what would u do? Now what would you do if they told you it was their loved one's remains inside the urn they were holding?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A