Alaska Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 23, 2017

3.1

Reservations Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

It was a very long process. I received a request to complete a video interview more than 2 weeks after submitting my resume/application. The video interview is interesting, to say the least. You are given 30 seconds to read the question and start recording your response and 2 minutes to video tape your response. A lesson learned the hard way is that you only have 1 opportunity to record your response (with the exception of your introduction). The "best practices" video gives the impression that you will have the opportunity to re-record if you find yourself "rambling" but that is not true. My suggestion is to treat this as you would any other interview and dress up, look nice and smile. Use the camera to make sure you are presenting yourself in the best way possible.

After the video interview it was another 2 weeks before I got a call back for the next interview that was a behavioral based interview in person, and the interview was set for another 3 weeks after the call. During the second interview we were placed in a room with about 40 other people and watched an orientation video, then they called people in one at a time for a 1:1 interview where they asked some questions about our experience. We were then told to go back and wait until we were called for the next step, which was a role play activity to see how good we were with navigating around a computer and a few more questions from a second interviewer. We were then again asked to go wait. During the third call the applicants were either offered the job or told they didn't get the job. Those who got the job were sent immediately to complete the drug and nicotine testing and advised the background check information would be coming through email.

Even after the interview process it is nearly a month before training starts. Altogether it was close to 3 months between application and training.

The most important takeaway is that these are behavioral based interviews and require extensive answers with specific examples. Google behavioral based interviews before proceeding to the interview process. Also, keep in mind that when you get to the second interview they are likely watching you from the time you walk in to the meeting room. Act professionally and be sociable with the other people in the room.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Alaska airlines?
      Do you have a problem with working odd hours?
      Describe a time you went above and beyond?
      Describe a time when you disagreed with a policy and how you handled it?
      Where do you see yourself in 3 years?
      Describe a time where you made a mistake and what was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Vancouver, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied Feb 28 when it opened up and was emailed to completer my VI one week later. But I had a trip planned and was in England at the time. Very unreliable internet and we were on the road so the only internet I had was in pubs and resturants. Of course I didn't have anything with me ie: business outfit, makeup etc. I emailed the contact name I had and explained it to him. He told me not to worry about it and complete it when I got home in 2 weeks. Whew. So I completed my VI March 22. And waited. 7 weeks later I finally got the email with 2 datesfor the f2f. I took the soonest one which was May 16 in Vancouver, WA. Less than a week away.

What a day. Alaska is first class all the way. 14 employees came into the meeting room in the morning. Recruiters, HR and FA's. From the beginning they made us feel very welcome. This is not survivor. Be yourself and relax. You are among friends and you will make many more that day. The FA's circled the room during the day and talked with everyone answering a million questions.It was a long day but flew by. Take some snacks with you to munch on.

I had the group interview with 13 others. A couple of scenarios you worked out with a smaller group. Then back to room until my 2 on 1 interview. I felt very comfortable throughout the process. Then back to the room and waited. I was the 6th to last person called out and was offered a cjo. I am ecstatic to be asked to be a part of this airline. I start training in Aug.

So if you are thinking you may be too old to follow your dreams you are wrong. I am in my late 50's and ready to start a new adventure.

I read Glassdoor back several years to research questions.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

It was great , everyone was very friendly. You were giving a sticker with your name on it and it had you One on one interview time and group interview time.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

Heard back relatively quick after applying (I applied a few days before the posting closed & reached out to the hiring manager via LinkedIn - which def. helps get you noticed) Heard back from hiring manager within 24 hours saying he would keep an eye out for my application. Later that week had a 30 min phone interview with a recruiter. Conversation was great, questions were general "tell me about yourself", "what attracted you to this role", etc. At the end of the conversation the recruiter mentioned she was going to recommend me to go through to the next round of interviews & that I should hear back in a week or so to schedule (this was over a month ago). I sent a thank you e-mail after my call, a follow-up e-mail a week later & an additional follow up three weeks post-phone screen. Nothing. I was really excited (especially after talking with the recruiter) at the opportunity to move forward in the interview process & the job would have been a great fit. Bummer.

Interview Questions

• Pretty general questions, typical for a phone screen (see description of interview process for examples)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I filled out the online application on 2/28/17, received the invitation via email to complete a video interview on 3/31/17 which I completed the next day, and then received invitation for the face-to-face interview on 4/18/17 which I have scheduled for 5/2/17.

I didn't research interview questions before doing my video interview, but I highly suggest you do! I was led to believe I would be able to re-record answers as much as needed, but this only applies to your introduction. After that, a question is presented with 30 seconds to prepare your response which you only have one chance to record within two minutes. Dress as if this is an in-person interview. I'm not saying full-blown suit, but definitely don't think that this is a more casual affair than a typical interview just because it is digital. I kind of rambled my way through my answers because I didn't expect such intensity from the interview, but I spoke clearly and smiled whenever it made sense to do so which I think made up for the rambling. I was honestly shocked when I got invited to the face-to-face. I'll update when that interview is done!

UPDATE: I completed the face-to-face interview two days ago. Checked in 15 minutes early. Orientation fell through because their projector wasn't working so we went straight to interviews. Unfortunately my 2:1 was scheduled for directly after orientation and because that never happened I went into my interview completely cold. As the day went on I became very comfortable and even friendly with the other applicants, it really was a fun day. However my interview felt very uncomfortable as there had been little to no ice-breaking beforehand. My interviewers had both been with the company less than six months and were stuck to the script which did nothing for my nerves and I fumbled my way through the entire ten minutes. At the end, my interviewers told me that lots of senior flight attendants were in the main room to talk to us and I should "drill them for information". Over the next six hours only one FA was ever in the room and only for brief periods of time while most of the room swarmed her. After three hours of mingling with all the other wonderful applicants (they really were great!) I was sent to my group interview with ten others. Two interviewers stood and engaged with us while three more sat at the table and mostly just took notes. It was not nearly as uncomfortable as the 2:1. We were split into three smaller groups after an ice breaker. My group consisted of three much older applicants, all of whom were FA's for other companies. My chances at this point were basically shot. We were given a scenario to work through and present to the room. We presented our schpeel and were then drilled by the interviewers as they made the scenario more and more difficult until there was really no good answer. My group essentially threw me under the bus with their answers. Teamwork! Two more hours in the main room and we were told decisions were made and we would be pulled one at a time from the room with outcomes. As my name was called and I was led to the door it was rather obvious I was not receiving an offer. I'll try again in six months with hopes high that the cards will not be stacked so high against me.

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Vancouver, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Was able to view the first question as soon as I downloaded/opened the application. Gave me plenty of time to prepare. The rest you will have 30 seconds to formulate answer. I believe there were six. I would strongly recommend that you have a whiteboard behind where you're looking at the camera. Do some brainstorming on it in the days before your video interview. Write down the basics about why you would like to have the job, why you would be good at it, key words and reminders about how you have resolved conflicts, dealt with customers, etc. It's only been a couple of days since I interviewed so no way of answering the last question about whether or not I was asked to move forward in the process but checked in the affirmative as I am optimistic. Good luck!

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Very quick! from start to invitation to orientation less than two weeks! Most important is to review the company's website, mission statement, and when answering the online video questions....SMILE!

Interview Questions

• Question 1 of 8
      We're excited to get to know you. Can you share a few highlights from your resume?   Answer Question
    • Question 2 of 8
      Please share with us why you want to work at Alaska Airlines as a Customer Service Agent.   Answer Question
    • Question 3 of 8
      Alaska Airlines' mission is: To Have The Best People, Provide The Safest and Best Service, For The Best Value, To Each Customer Each Day. What part of our mission resonates most with you?   Answer Question
    • Question 4 of 8
      Alaska Spirit is the heart of Alaska Airlines. Tell us about a time when you exceeded a customer's service expectations.   Answer Question
    • Question 5 of 8
      Tell us about a time when you received negative feedback from an angry customer. What was the situation and how did you respond?   Answer Question
    • Question 6 of 8
      Tell us about a time when you were part of a team that worked exceptionally well together. What did you do to contribute to the team's success?   Answer Question
    • Question 7 of 8
      You'll have the opportunity to meet and interact with many different people every day. Does working with the public energize you? Why or why not?   Answer Question
    • Question 8 of 8
      Being able to multitask when operating a computer and engaging customers will be critical to your success. Tell us about a position you held where a computer was vital to your role.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

I applied online then had a video interview. Thought I did ok, definitely an awkward situation but not bad then a few weeks later got the email about the face to face interview. Now I have an interview in Vancouver WA next week!

Interview Questions

• tell us about a time you had a conflict with someone   1 Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Portland, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online for this open position at PDX. I was then interviewed on the phone for about 5 minutes and then invited to an in person interview the following week. It started as a group session with about 12 candidates. They reviewed job requirements and benefits for about an hour. I was then interviewed one on one.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked together with your team to accomplish a difficult task.   Answer Question

Team Captan Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Bellingham, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was pulled into an interview with the station manager and supervisor. They asked some preprinted questions and then asked about my experiences. They explained a little bit about the station challenges and if I had any ideas to help our current situation. Also asked if I had any ideas to help bring some fun to the station.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time you had to mitigate a situation between two employees who did not like each other and it was affecting their work performances.   Answer Question