Albert Einstein College of Medicine Research Study Coordinator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Research Study Coordinator

Create your profile to get personalized information

Research Study Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Albert Einstein College of Medicine (New York, NY) in November 2007.

Interview

I was replied to via e-mail (I saw the listing on Craiglist) and was scheduled to meet with someone in HR. My meeting with her was fairly formal, but very generic. I got the feeling she didn't know or care about the specifics of the research job for which I was applying. Mainly asked why I was leaving my other job so soon (which I explained without going too in to detail).

Then I met with the person for whom I would be working, the PI. She was very nice. She opened by talking at length about her research interests and what she would like to begin doing with the aid of the person who filled the position. I felt at ease with her, and it was really just a discussion of the research. I expressed particular interest in certain tasks, and she responded positively to my enthusiasm. It was apparent that the HR person was not familiar with the PI, and vice versa.

The PI did want me to interview also with the Chief of the Division, her boss. The PI was fairly green and I got the feeling she just wanted someone to back up her choice of candidate. That was arranged the following week. When I met the Chief in her office, she made it clear that ours was not going to be a proper interview, more just meeting me to see how I might fit in the department. She told me a bit about the history of the division, what the primary in-house research projects were, what grants had been awarded and what was being sought in the future. She made it clear to me that my would-be boss didn't have experience hiring or supervising a dedicated staff member of her own, and I was warned that I might have to remind her if/when I was without work to do! (This has never been an issue). I was given a brief tour of the small office during this third interview, and sat down with the division administrator to discuss any questions about working in the office that had come up for me. The office that day seemed stark and very quiet; I have since found it warm and cozy.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current position (after only 4 months)?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was almost no negotiation. In an initial e-mail (before being interviewed at HR) I was told the salary range, given that it was slightly lower than my salary requirements stated previously. (They would not interview me until I provided a salary requirement, which was then amended by me to agree to the lower range they stated).

Once I had interviewed with everyone, in a follow-up e-mail to the PI, I told her that I would like the highest number of the salary range. She told me she had little control over these matters, but would pass on my request. I was suspicious of her not having "any control" in this decision, because, while institutions like this typically have a range associated with a position, the ultimate determinant is usually the person whose grant is to fund the candidate.

When I then expressed my salary request to the HR manager, reiterating the range previously provided, she said she would not have sent me a range, that they never let a candidate know of this information beforehand! I found this rude and inconsistent - I had the e-mail!

Anyway, I settled for very slightly less than than what I was told was the top number; it was worth it to me because I very much wanted the job and because I would be getting four weeks vacation, which makes up for a few $$thousand!!