Alcoa Interview Questions in Knoxville, TN | Glassdoor

2.8

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Network Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alcoa, TN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Alcoa (Alcoa, TN) in April 2016.

Interview

My recruiter found my resume on a job site and gauged my interest. I sent him an updated resume and he contacted the client. They wanted to meet me and I interviewed that day. It was very positive. Pending a drug screen and background check, they were going to make up their minds. I am not sure how many people applied or sat for an interview. I had no problems with the screen and background check and I was offered the job, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Summarize my experience with networking, general comfort with managing communications and not having any actual hands-on work. This did change later, but the job was about 95% project communications and scheduling and 5% hands-on.   1 Answer

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Alcoa (Knoxville, TN) in June 2015.

Interview

After waiting 4 months I here back from Alcoa asking me to take a test. It was a general knowledge test and was easy. Four weeks later I was emailed by Alcoa asking when I could interview. They provide aa two week window to schedule it.
    I showed up to the interview with all my documentation showing training and certifications. They never asked for anything. Asked a series of role questions and what you would do.

Interview Questions

• If you see an coworker violating a safety rule or policy. What would you do?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alcoa (Knoxville, TN).

Interview

I was contacted over the phone for an interview. Then had one interview in front of a panel of 4 people.

Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I interviewed at Alcoa (Knoxville, TN) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online including a resume and a cover letter. I was set up with a 30 minute phone interview. Interview questions were quite difficult. As far as the technologies and tools the group used, it sounded like they were almost exclusively an Excel shop. I should have spent considerably more time learning about commodities pricing and the aluminum industry as a whole.

Interview Questions

• If federal interest rates increase, what will the effect be on the price of metal?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alcoa (Knoxville, TN) in November 2010.

Interview

Process was pretty standard. Company hires an outside firm to recruit potential candidates and review resumes submitted online for the position. In addition, there is a phone screen with the outside recruiter with standard type interview questions. Outside recruiter then narrows it down to 8-10 solid candidates and sends the resumes + pertinent info from phone screen to the manager of the position looking to be filled.

The manager went through the resumes with the other 2 members of team (Intern and Direct Supervisor), and the candidate list is narrowed down to 5-6. Once the list is narrowed down, in-person interviews are conducted.

I met with 3 people during my in-person at 30 minutes each. They were with the person who currently had the position I was interviewing for, my direct supervisor (Finance Manager), and the supervisor's supervisor (Controller of the business unit). Each of the 3 interviews were unique and the questions asked were selected by each interviewer personally. The first interview was with the person currently in the role. He covered the technical aspect and quizzed me on related topics. We got along immediately, so after a few minutes of formal questions the interview became more of a conversation around approaches to tackling certain issues, war stories, and I asked him alot of questions about the actual role. The second interview was with the Controller, and it was a little harder to get a read on. In my experience, this was the weirdest interview I've ever had. He didn't really dig much into my background, and I felt like there could've been more diligence on his part. Ultimately we ended up talking about soccer and high school as I had both those things in common with his children. The last interview was with my direct supervisor. She went completely off book, using almost the entire 30 minutes to tell me all kinds of random things about the company, position, struggles of the position, and Benefits. It was the only time I felt like I didn't get near enough time to talk in an interview.

They suggested with so many candidates left they might choose 2-3 to bring back in for a 2nd round of interviews and would let me know in a few days. 2 days later I got called with an offer and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked with Steamships before?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any experience with SWAP accounting?   1 Answer

Negotiation

This company doesn't really give young employees much of a chance to negotiate. They offer you a number before you even get to talk to them about salary. In my case, I was able to leverage my experience and expertise in areas where they've lacked it in the past to get a sign-on bonus of 1 month's salary. From a base salary perspective, they really aren't that competitive. But they make up for it in other ways with Profit Sharing and a higher company match than most Fortune 500 companies.