Alcon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 3, 2017

3.1

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Alcon (Fort Worth, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

The Recruiters were very nice. I got to the interview and wasted my time. They were late by 20 mins. They didn't even know my name. YOU ARE INTERVIEWING ME! One of the interviewers was more focused on their phone and their agenda than me. I'm a strong believer in being prepared for an interview but that did not matter too them. I was asked 5 questions that had nothing to do with the job. How does that tell you who you are hiring? Not to mention that they did not write anything I had to say down. The atmosphere was not welcoming and before I can even leave the room they were on to the next applicant. I understand that you are interviewing several applicants, and may even have to go "through the motions" of the hiring process but have the decency to respect the fact that they came out. Then I didn't actually get a no I had to call the recruiter to actually get a "they went with other applicants" and "they made their decision Monday and I apologize you didn't get the email". Very UNPROFESSIONAL! Jobs come and go and you either get them or you don't and life goes on but respect is becoming more and more unknown. Thank you for not hiring me because I do not wish to work for you.

Interview Questions

Alcon Response

Nov 14, 2016

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are sorry to hear you had this experience and will use some of this feedback to strive to be better for our candidates going forward. We wish you all the best.

Compliance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alcon (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview with hiring Director in Houston mid Nov 2016. Had all qualifications + had worked with top pharma/med device firms. Director new in role but still no excuse for poor communication. I was a local candidate and mentioned I had other interested employers so I needed a timely response. I was told I'd hear one way or another within 2 weeks. I followed-up with HR; HR was waiting on direction from Director & could not provide update. Now it's Jan, I have 3 job offers, all from Fortune 100 companies. Very disappointed with Alcon's responsiveness and inefficient hiring process. I'm used to and expected much better. I had seen other reviews mentioning similiar experiences but can now say I've lived it. Glad I'm going elsewhere. I've hired numerous employees in my career and understand that things come up. However, leaving well qualified candidates up in the air is quite unprofessional and disrespectful.

The company I'll be accepting an offer from reached out the next day after completing a video interview! They have moved quickly on answering questions, scheduling the site interview, and making an offer. AMAZING! That's the type of company I want to work for!

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work for Alcon?   1 Answer

Jan 12, 2017

We are sorry to hear about your experience as we strive to give each candidate the best experience possible. Your feedback is what will help us improve. All the best to you.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Alcon.

Interview

I recently applied for a sales representative role . I received an email a day later from a third party called Korn Ferry asking to setup an interview for the Alcon position. Before I could respond I received an email that day from the hiring manager about a second phone interview with him. He wanted to do the phone interview the next day. I work full time so was only able to complete one of the phone interviews. I then started receiving texts from Korn Ferry that they were going to complain to the hiring manager that I hadn't done their phone interview yet, and have him stress the importance of doing their phone interview. On top of that I was asked asked to then attend an in person meeting . All of this happened within 48 hours. I work full time. It across disorganized and the Korn Ferry recruiters text messages led me to withdraw from consideration.

Interview Questions

Alcon Response

Nov 1, 2016

We are sorry that you have had this experience. Your feedback is what will help us improve.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Alcon (Lake Forest, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The company is looking for a data analyst, actually it requires someone has the skill with SAP. Because I recently graduated from school, never used SAP before. So the result would be obvious for me. The interviewer is very nice, he only asked me few questions. Most of the time, he talked about the company business. After the interview, he took me to look around the company, and introduced every apartment of the company.

Interview Questions

• what is your background about data analysis and the SAP skill?   Answer Question

Oct 17, 2016

Good luck to you on your future endeavors. We appreciate you taking time to write a review.

Inventory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alcon (Fort Worth, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

There were several scripted questions about what you would do in multiple situations in front of multiple people. the interview took 4 hours with 4 different people one at a time. I had a good experiance and it was relaxed / laid back.

Interview Questions

• How inportant is safety to you!   1 Answer
    • if team members weren't getting along how would you handle the situation   1 Answer

Sep 16, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Good luck to you on your future endeavors.

Clinical Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Alcon in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and a few weeks later a recruiter contacted me to get my availability for a phone screen which was later moved to a different date. Several weeks after the phone screen I was contacted for an onsite interview with very little notice and the interview was only confirmed a day before. The on site interview itself was great (although my interview schedule was full of errors the hiring manager had to correct). Typical behavioral interview with 4-5 different team members, but no peers which was a little disappointing. I would have liked to ask someone in the actual job about it. I left the interview with a good feeling about Alcon. However, 6 weeks later and I never heard anything back, couldn't even get the recruiter to respond back to me to confirm if they'd gone with another candidate. Incredibly unprofessional and unorganized recruiting staff.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to change someone's mind.   Answer Question

Nov 1, 2016

We are sorry to hear about this. We strive to have a great experience for our candidates so we appreciate your feedback to help us improve for the future.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Alcon (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

First round is a general background check with the HR , she will try to see what you are looking out of this internship. Second round is onsite. the second is the tougher one. But mostly you will get it if you manage to get an on site interview.

Interview Questions

• HR called me and asked me about myself first
      then asked me to walk through my resume
      She asked me how i will manage myself at the internship
      Told me about the company

Over all experience was good, she was a very nice lady
      Answer Question

Oct 4, 2016

We appreciate your feedback and review.

R&D Interview

Interview

Applied through looksharp, then I got an email to schedule phone interview. So I scheduled and still waiting for the outcomes. Overall, it was not too bad but it was not too easy. Just be prepared for any unexpected question.

Senior Financial Analyst - Surgical Equipment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Alcon (Fort Worth, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Age Bias / physical appearance bias - Most interviewers were professional and had good interaction - last manager interview was biased - Below is a letter I sent to Alcon HR management. Do not bother to apply if you are not one of the beautiful people. I have never had a interview where the manager spent the time disparaging the company instead of asking me how I could help overcome the challenges in a job role.

Ms. **NAME REMOVED/HR MGR**
    I had an in-person interview at Alcon in Fort Worth on March 18th. I recently received my letter advising that Alcon was selecting other candidates. Normally I would not pursue a follow up after such a letter, however, I believe you should be made aware of the context of my interview with the last manager, **NAME REMOVED**. The first two managers and all preliminary phone interview were all very positive. My background and skill set to do the job are an excellent match. I do not believe they caused any disqualification to the position. I am, however, over 50, overweight and have asthma and I do believe that these things did remove me from your pool of candidates.

**NAME REMOVED**, the last manager to interview me was late to the interview and did not ask me more than three questions. She came in, scowled at me and proceeded to tell me how terrible the job was for which I was applying. I thought it odd to say the least. I have never been in an interview where a manager stated … and these are direct quotes:

“The salesmen yell at you all day long.”
    “You will be working until 9:00 p.m. or 10:00 p.m. at night and still not be able to catch up
    “They (management) just set you up for failure.”
    “They (management) say they are working on the solutions, but I will believe it when I see it.”
    “You have at least 200 actionable emails daily.” (I have managed more actionable emails on a regular basis.)
    “All the data is dirty. Outside customers (doctors’ offices) call and tell you accounts are incorrect and they are right 90% of the time. The data system is from the 1980s and crappy. All the data is wrong."
    "You spend all your time researching contracts and correcting them and then the salesmen get mad because they want the new contracts put in now.”

The entire interview was geared to make me not want the job offered. Unfortunately, I relish challenges and my reaction was not **NAME REMOVED** desired outcome. **NAME REMOVED** made it clear she did not want to be doing this interview by her distraction and short, sharp and sarcastic responses when I tried to explain that I have built an entire career on solving these types of problems. I excused her actions as a frustrated manager in the middle of putting out a fire. On deeper reflection and discussion with friends (HR Director at a Fortune 100 company, retired HR arbitrator at a Big Five accounting firm), I believe I was dismissed as a candidate due to my age and weight. No … I will not file a complaint. You need to be aware, however, that many people would file a complaint. It would be a valid and actionable complaint. If Alcon is only interest in hiring the young and beautiful, please do not waste anyone else’s time interviewing candidates over 45 years old. At the very least, **NAME REMOVED** needs some coaching on interview techniques. If I had been interviewing at any company but Alcon, I would have thanked **NAME REMOVED** for her time, stated that I did not think this would be a good fit (based solely on her interview, not on my ability to do the job well) and left the interview. I do not normally waste time with companies with an age bias.

I am certain you will attribute this letter to “sour grapes,” but I have always admired Alcon and have for years sought a position there. Your image is tarnished in my mind. I do, however, intend to post an interview review on Glassdoor, to help other seasoned professionals assess whether they want to waste their time or go on to other companies which use a level playing field for hiring. I will also be frank when anyone asks me about my Alcon interview. During my interviews, I was asked many times about my ethics. Part of ethics and part of being an honorable person prompted this letter. You need to be aware of what is happening. Over the last 25 years I have over delivered on the job with accountable dollar results … with savings from $2 million to $6 million dollars in either retained sales, salary impact, accuracy, audit improvement and capacity impact. As far as not being hired at Alcon … it is water under the bridge and Alcon’s loss. Best wishes for Alcon and their chosen candidates.

Best regards,

Interview Questions

• On both phone and in-person interviews, I was asked several questions using ethical scenarios   1 Answer

Apr 18, 2016 – Social Media Manager

At Novartis/Alcon, we seek to create an inclusive work environment where associates regardless of their backgrounds can contribute fully. We appreciate the diversity and individuality of our ... More

Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Alcon (Fort Worth, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and within a day I was contacted by HR. I believe I did a quick phone screen with the recruiter who quickly set-up a phone interview with the hiring manager for a few days later. The phone screen went well and was set for 5:30 pm because the hiring manager was so busy. It was typical tell me about your past experience. It was hard to read the hiring manager over the phone and she didn't seem to enthusiastic about anything. about two weeks later HR contacted me wanting to set-up an in person interview.

The in person interview lasted 2.5 hours and was really positive. First I met with the HR Manager responsible for that manufacturing department. She asked several questions and spoke about experience, salary, decision timelines, culture of the organization.

The second person I met with was the Manufacturing Head of Pharm Surgical. She asked several leadership questions and I felt i answered everything she asked well.

The third interview was with 2 Planning Managers that would be my counterparts if I were hired. I thought this interview went extremely well. Questions were aimed at my experience, situational questions and personality. After I had answered a questioned one lady commented that my answer was the exact right answer. After this interview I was waiting for the recruiter to pick me up and take me to a different building to chat the hiring manager one of the ladies I interviewed with point out several areas like where the lunch room was and the nurses office was as if she was expecting that I would get an offer and be her coworker soon.

The last interview was with the hiring manager. I thought she asked several good questions and I did a decent job of answering. Again I didn't feel she was overly enthusiastic but she could be a very analytical person.

After the interview I thought of 1-2 questions I didn't ask and e-mailed the people I met with. Of the 3 people I e-mailed only 1 person replied back and she e-mailed me back 2 weeks after the interview.

I never heard from HR after that and I did notice the position was closed. I thought I was going to get an offer but I did get the feeling that the company has a culture issue since being taken over by Novartis a few years ago. Everyone I met with seemed overworked with some frustrations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to deal with a difficult employee and what did you do correct their behavior?   Answer Question
    • Does your company have a formal S&OP process?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about s time when a project went wrong?   Answer Question
    • What is something you need to work on?   Answer Question
    • Often when you are working with cross-functional teams it is hard to get answers of info you need in a timely manner. What would you do to get answers in a timely manner?   Answer Question