Alcon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.9

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Alcon (Fort Worth, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Pretty basic behavioral interview
    Tell about your past working experiences
    Tell about your leadership, teamwork, time management, failure
    Elaborate on your future goal and how it ties to supply chain
    Only 1 round of interview

Interview Questions

• What makes you stand out compared to other candidates?   Answer Question

Alcon Response

Nov 14, 2016

Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Alcon (Fort Worth, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I had 5 interviews before getting the internship, every manager who interview me had its own style. Some were more friendly than others but in general all asked about my life out of school and big accomplishments that I obtained during my studies

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Alcon.

Interview

long multiple interview. interview with peers, hiring manager and director
    Outcome was a competitive off on position. Was in depth interview but not difficult if knowledgeable about the position

Interview Questions

• where you see yourself in 5 years   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst - Surgical Equipment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Alcon (Fort Worth, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Age Bias / physical appearance bias - Most interviewers were professional and had good interaction - last manager interview was biased - Below is a letter I sent to Alcon HR management. Do not bother to apply if you are not one of the beautiful people. I have never had a interview where the manager spent the time disparaging the company instead of asking me how I could help overcome the challenges in a job role.

Ms. **NAME REMOVED/HR MGR**
    I had an in-person interview at Alcon in Fort Worth on March 18th. I recently received my letter advising that Alcon was selecting other candidates. Normally I would not pursue a follow up after such a letter, however, I believe you should be made aware of the context of my interview with the last manager, **NAME REMOVED**. The first two managers and all preliminary phone interview were all very positive. My background and skill set to do the job are an excellent match. I do not believe they caused any disqualification to the position. I am, however, over 50, overweight and have asthma and I do believe that these things did remove me from your pool of candidates.

**NAME REMOVED**, the last manager to interview me was late to the interview and did not ask me more than three questions. She came in, scowled at me and proceeded to tell me how terrible the job was for which I was applying. I thought it odd to say the least. I have never been in an interview where a manager stated … and these are direct quotes:

“The salesmen yell at you all day long.”
    “You will be working until 9:00 p.m. or 10:00 p.m. at night and still not be able to catch up
    “They (management) just set you up for failure.”
    “They (management) say they are working on the solutions, but I will believe it when I see it.”
    “You have at least 200 actionable emails daily.” (I have managed more actionable emails on a regular basis.)
    “All the data is dirty. Outside customers (doctors’ offices) call and tell you accounts are incorrect and they are right 90% of the time. The data system is from the 1980s and crappy. All the data is wrong."
    "You spend all your time researching contracts and correcting them and then the salesmen get mad because they want the new contracts put in now.”

The entire interview was geared to make me not want the job offered. Unfortunately, I relish challenges and my reaction was not **NAME REMOVED** desired outcome. **NAME REMOVED** made it clear she did not want to be doing this interview by her distraction and short, sharp and sarcastic responses when I tried to explain that I have built an entire career on solving these types of problems. I excused her actions as a frustrated manager in the middle of putting out a fire. On deeper reflection and discussion with friends (HR Director at a Fortune 100 company, retired HR arbitrator at a Big Five accounting firm), I believe I was dismissed as a candidate due to my age and weight. No … I will not file a complaint. You need to be aware, however, that many people would file a complaint. It would be a valid and actionable complaint. If Alcon is only interest in hiring the young and beautiful, please do not waste anyone else’s time interviewing candidates over 45 years old. At the very least, **NAME REMOVED** needs some coaching on interview techniques. If I had been interviewing at any company but Alcon, I would have thanked **NAME REMOVED** for her time, stated that I did not think this would be a good fit (based solely on her interview, not on my ability to do the job well) and left the interview. I do not normally waste time with companies with an age bias.

I am certain you will attribute this letter to “sour grapes,” but I have always admired Alcon and have for years sought a position there. Your image is tarnished in my mind. I do, however, intend to post an interview review on Glassdoor, to help other seasoned professionals assess whether they want to waste their time or go on to other companies which use a level playing field for hiring. I will also be frank when anyone asks me about my Alcon interview. During my interviews, I was asked many times about my ethics. Part of ethics and part of being an honorable person prompted this letter. You need to be aware of what is happening. Over the last 25 years I have over delivered on the job with accountable dollar results … with savings from $2 million to $6 million dollars in either retained sales, salary impact, accuracy, audit improvement and capacity impact. As far as not being hired at Alcon … it is water under the bridge and Alcon’s loss. Best wishes for Alcon and their chosen candidates.

Best regards,

Interview Questions

• On both phone and in-person interviews, I was asked several questions using ethical scenarios   1 Answer

Alcon Response

Apr 18, 2016 – Social Media Manager

At Novartis/Alcon, we seek to create an inclusive work environment where associates regardless of their backgrounds can contribute fully. We appreciate the diversity and individuality of our ... More

Clinical Applications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Alcon (Lake Forest, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Brief phone interview with Recruiter.
    3 days later - 30 minute phone interview with CAS territory manager.
    2 days later - 20 minute phone interview with CAS regional manager.
    The next day I was contacted by recruiter to set up face to face interview and travel to headquarters in CA where I met with territory and regional manager.
    1 week later I was called by recruiter with verbal offer which I accepted and then received formal written offer.
    Signed written offer 2 days later and emailed to recruiter.
    Background check and drug screening scheduled immediately after formal acceptance and it took a good 10'business days to get confirmation that I passed both.
    Started job training 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very easy!

Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Alcon (Fort Worth, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and within a day I was contacted by HR. I believe I did a quick phone screen with the recruiter who quickly set-up a phone interview with the hiring manager for a few days later. The phone screen went well and was set for 5:30 pm because the hiring manager was so busy. It was typical tell me about your past experience. It was hard to read the hiring manager over the phone and she didn't seem to enthusiastic about anything. about two weeks later HR contacted me wanting to set-up an in person interview.

The in person interview lasted 2.5 hours and was really positive. First I met with the HR Manager responsible for that manufacturing department. She asked several questions and spoke about experience, salary, decision timelines, culture of the organization.

The second person I met with was the Manufacturing Head of Pharm Surgical. She asked several leadership questions and I felt i answered everything she asked well.

The third interview was with 2 Planning Managers that would be my counterparts if I were hired. I thought this interview went extremely well. Questions were aimed at my experience, situational questions and personality. After I had answered a questioned one lady commented that my answer was the exact right answer. After this interview I was waiting for the recruiter to pick me up and take me to a different building to chat the hiring manager one of the ladies I interviewed with point out several areas like where the lunch room was and the nurses office was as if she was expecting that I would get an offer and be her coworker soon.

The last interview was with the hiring manager. I thought she asked several good questions and I did a decent job of answering. Again I didn't feel she was overly enthusiastic but she could be a very analytical person.

After the interview I thought of 1-2 questions I didn't ask and e-mailed the people I met with. Of the 3 people I e-mailed only 1 person replied back and she e-mailed me back 2 weeks after the interview.

I never heard from HR after that and I did notice the position was closed. I thought I was going to get an offer but I did get the feeling that the company has a culture issue since being taken over by Novartis a few years ago. Everyone I met with seemed overworked with some frustrations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to deal with a difficult employee and what did you do correct their behavior?   Answer Question
    • Does your company have a formal S&OP process?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about s time when a project went wrong?   Answer Question
    • What is something you need to work on?   Answer Question
    • Often when you are working with cross-functional teams it is hard to get answers of info you need in a timely manner. What would you do to get answers in a timely manner?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bettendorf, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Alcon (Bettendorf, IA).

Interview

There was an initial phone screen then several face to face interviews. The face to face interviews are usually with the hiring manager and possibly with another district manager in order for them to get a second opinion. Along the process there will be a field ride along with a local rep or two. The final interview is usually with the Regional Manager down in Fort Worth, Tx.

Quality Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Alcon.

Interview

Applied through school career website. Two weeks later, they emailed me to arrange a phone interview. And two days after the interview, the head of quality assurance phoned me and told me that I got the intern

Cant intern in spring

Glaucoma Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Alcon.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter 30 min long. Received email from manager later that afternoon requesting another phone screen 30 min long. Face to face interview location was communicated the night before and was held in the middle of a crowded Panera. Not exactly the best place to conduct an interview.

Quality Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alcon (Irvine, CA).

Interview

First a phone interview that is mainly focused on behavioral questions. Some include - What are your strengths, tell me about a time you were on a successful team, tell me about a time when you had an issue and you overcame it in a team etc...If it goes well you'll get called in for an in person interview with 2 supervisors, 1 manager, and HR. Mostly behavioral questions again with some additional technical questions based on what you have on your resume. All in all, not too bad.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you performed root cause analysis?   1 Answer