All Star Directories, Inc. Digital Writer/Editor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

All Star Directories, Inc. Digital Writer/Editor Interview Questions

Digital Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at All Star Directories, Inc. (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I initially applied for a Senior Copywriter position in August 2011. After about 5 phone calls and several invites to come in for a personal interview (many of which were cancelled), I finally landed another phone screen with a hiring manager and then an in-person interview with her, too. I was given a homework assignment, but it seemed to fall flat and not impress.... I was asked why I hadn't though of X,Y, or Z, but that was not in the assignment I was given, which did, in fact, take an entire day to prepare. I was met with opposition from the start of the in-person interview. The woman interviewing me seemed overwhelmed and in over her head and perhaps she was desperate for her own job? That's the impression I was left with... and what made it worse was that she faced me with her hands folded across her chest the entire time. If that isn't a sign of being distant and closed off to me from the start... I don't know what is. Her body language was horrible and I knew immediately I would not be happy in such a work environment. I have also heard from others that the turnover is high, no one knows what's going on (the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing), and there is generally just a foul mood in the office. I felt relieved NOT to get an offer. The interviews themselves were not difficult, but there was no courtesy shown the job-seeker whatsoever. I know it is an employer's market right now, but there should still be some respect. Also, the position kept being dumbed down... from senior copywriter to senior writer/editor and then just digital writer/editor. I think they wanted to hire someone young who would be cheap. Advertising for senior writers/editors on Craigslist is not exactly something that gives serious job-seekers much confidence. I would avoid this place like the plague. Luckily, I have accepted a terrific job offer out-of-state.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. I was given a homework assignment and presented it.   Answer Question