Allstate Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Allstate Data Scientist Interview Questions

2.6

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Allstate (Northbrook, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

It was an awful experience. I had a phone screen from the HR. Went through the resume, standard questions about the projects done and few behavioral questions. All went extremely well. I had done good research about the company. While wrapping up, i was asked my immigration status. I was told i will have a technical round. Inspite of making them understand that i am legally authorized and don't need a sponsorship, they rejected my profile. I wonder what was going on in HR's head. The status was updated in the portal. I tried reaching them, but there were no mails from HR after that. They don't even tell you or give you a valid reason.

They brag about their new data science division everywhere, but i guess its going to be as bad as this one. Why would they take pains to call a candidate if they are unsure of hiring.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Allstate

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Allstate.

Interview

Went over the resume and described the projects and stat analysis softwares used and mentioned python experience will be a plus. Then told me direction of the data team is working on. HR said there will be a technical one, but finally there is not.

Data Scientist () Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Allstate (Northbrook, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

1. Phone screen HR
    The basic questions to make sure you are human. What is my current research? Where do you see yourself in this company?
    2. Phone interview (2 data scientists)
    Logic questions - How many jelly beans do you have to pull from a bag to guarantee you have two of the same color?
    3. Onsite Interview (6 hours, 12 different people)
    Presentation, behavior, lunch, coding sections.

Interview Questions

• 1. Coding (pseudo code)
      2. Logic questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Allstate (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was lengthy. It started with a phone interview with 2 data scientists that was mostly knowledge-based questions. After that was a data set challenge where you have to present your findings to 2 other data scientists and expect follow up questions. Last was the on-site where there were one data exercise interview and one behavioral interview. You'll also have to make another presentation about a past analytical project to the entire team.

HR was quick to respond if you've made it to the next step but awfully slow at scheduling. It would take weeks and was frustrating since I was also scheduling other interviews.

For those with a CS background, this is a heavy math/stats role so don't expect much programming.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Allstate in March 2015.

Interview

Only had an HR Interview. It was a little weird. He started negotiating about salaries, and tried to negotiate and see how low I can go. When I said that if the opportunity is interesting, I can definitely negotiate on the salary part, then he reminded me how high the living costs in the area were!
     He spent a lot of time on what salaries he can pay to new hires etc, except for a cursory question on projects and languages I know.

Never got a call back after that. Maybe it was just that HR person.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Allstate in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter soon after set up a phone screen. The recruiter didn't read my resume and know that I was graduating. She told me I was not eligible for the internship but liked my background and would refer me to the recruiter who handled the full time positions. Never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Questions were just related to explaining my background and interests.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Allstate in June 2014.

Interview

Per the interviewer, Allstate is currently expanding its big data group, hoping to double its size by hiring another 20 data scientists this year. They are hiring all levels of data scientists.

The interviewer was friendly and professional, and asked about experience with various big data platforms and software. He indicated they are particularly interested in people with experience with Python and Hadoop.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected; the interview was straightforward and did not contain a technical component (except for asking about experience in various statistical languages/programs). The most difficult question for me, however, was what experience I have had in business/industry, since I have none. (All my experience is an academia.) Based on the interviewer's tone and subsequent questions, I believe that answer took me out of contention for the job.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Allstate in February 2014.

Interview

1 phone interview with hr
    1 technical phone interview with current associate data scientist. Review of resume, analytical coding questions, modeling questions.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Allstate.

Interview

Three basic steps to the process, I was referred by a friend to the job opening. First you talk to HR and they gauge your general fit to the position. While I did not have experience, my technical background fit the job requirements well so I passed. Second was a phone interview of a predictive modeling case study as well as some simple analytical questions. If you pass that portion of the interview, they will fly you into the office for an in person interview.

The in person interview lasts for a good part of the day (8:00am - 2:00pm). It will be split into a few 1 hour sessions as well as a few 30 minute sessions which involve giving a presentation, coding, modeling case study, as well as basic behavioral questions. Typically a decision will be made on the day of the interview by end of day, but it can take a few days for the results to get back to you.

Interview Questions

• Recall a time where you had a problem with a colleague, how did you resolve the conflict?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much negotiation, it was for an entry level position. I was offered something slightly higher.