Alpha Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Alpha

2.0

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Alpha (Santa Monica, CA) in January 2020.

Interview

First off I should say that everyone I met and interviewed with was friendly. I applied in December and got an email from the recruiter for a phone screen in January. Below I have attached the scheduling of the interviews and below that my reasoning for why this company is getting a poor review from me and tbh my references would also like to leave a review.

Jan 10-16: Phone screen with recruiter, 30-45 mins
    Jan 21-22: Phone screen with hiring manager, 30-45 mins
    Jan 23-30: In person office 1:1 with 3 people at the company (hiring manager, two different teammates) 3 hours
    Feb 4-13: In person presentation on Saas Product to 3 people at company (hiring manager, two different teammates) 2 hours
    Feb 20-21: Interview with VP + requested for 3 references, 30/45 mins
    March 5: Generic Rejection letter

Here is the issue- Why is a company taking someone through 8 interviews, a presentation and requesting and speaking with references if you were unsure or not ready to hire the candidate?? I understand you are a startup and trying your best to make it in this big bad tech world but trying to interview like you are at the level of Google and wasting a candidate and references time is absolutely unacceptable. By interview 2/3 you should have had a pretty good grasp on the candidates personality, skill set/talent and felt if it was the right fit for your team. Not to mention during each interview feedback was requested and all that was received was positive. Almost 3 months later and only after a request for updates, to receive a generic email after working so closely with the recruiter is such a shame. Lesson learned here, if you feel a company is unorganized and not being realistic with you.. run while you can and don't waste your time. And pro tip to company- don't ask for references and take up time from their busy schedules if you have not already made up your mind yet.

User Experience Testing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alpha.

Interview

First a phone screening with the manager of the UX Testing team, then a second call with someone else on the same team. The first call was great; the guy went as far as to tell me that he believed his founder would love to chat with me based on my personal interests. The girl on the second call was very informative but evidently disinterested (I tend to engage by asking quite a bit of questions so I doubt this is due to my part) and asked basically the exact same questions the first guy asked me; she asked me only one surface-level question related to UX, when I was prepared to answer pretty detailed UX questions to showcase my knowledge and experience. A few days later, I received a standard rejection email, but when I wrote an elaborate and earnest email to the guy in charge of the interview process inquiring for some feedback, it was neglected.

Interview Questions

• What are some things you like to do in your spare time?   1 Answer

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Alpha in June 2019.

Interview

Had a call with Engineering Manager then straight to on-site. All the interviewers showed up either late or left extremely early. They struggled to answer some of the questions I had about the company/role.

In addition, they use outdated platforms to test your Javascript knowledge and CSS.

There was no context or structure, it felt highly unorganized and the interviewers gave a strong vibe that they didn't want to be there. Often time, they would interrupt to give you the answer and not lead you towards the answer.

The recruiter has very little communication so you will have 0 knowledge or preparation.

Interview Questions

• 1. Javascript Event Loop regarding Promises and scoping. Make a series of requests in parallel and output in correct values/format.
      2. Build tick-tac-toe with css
      3. System design Spotify playlist feature.   Answer Question

User Experience Testing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Alpha (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

The overall process consisted of: a call with recruiter, call with a manager, take home assignment, on-site interview., reference checks. The process took very long and communication/updates were only given if I asked for follow up. The process took a total of 3 months from the initial call with the recruiter to the final decision being made. My recommendation to this company’s recruiting is to make the process more streamlined, make it quicker and make sure that interviewers questions don’t overlap. I got asked by every interviewer what I thought the role was in my words and why I wanted to join Alpha. No real questions about research, methods or moethdologies.

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Alpha in February 2019.

Interview

Sent in my resume. Received an email about wanting to set up a call, which was also a phone interview with a live coding portion. After that, I was given a take home assignment.

Interview Questions

• Debug some javascript where asynchronous requests for users followers were made. When printed to the console, all results displayed with user id 4. Fix it to display the related Id's   1 Answer

Machine Learning Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Alpha.

Interview

Reached out by their recruiter, scheduled a phone screen, passed the phone screen, moved to onsite, 2 weeks later I was informed there will be one more round of onsite, no feedback for a few weeks unless you follow up with them.

Through out the entire process, you get both the good and bad of a startup experience. They are actively looking for new talents, you get the chance to meet virtually everyone in the company, yet they lack of the ability to proper schedule interviews/provide timely feedbacks. What bugs me the most is that their interviewers did not have proper "interview skill training", overtime in phone screen, poor logistics during onsite, not be able to keep promises made and etc... you can tell the final decision was made by their founder?/manager? by almost a "gut feeling".

Overall, felt like a little bit waste of time. They made you to make a trip to their office twice for no good reason – why not schedule a full day assessment?

User Experience Interview

Interview

One of the company recruiters reached out to me to set up an initial screener call, and we scheduled the meeting and I assumed everything would be alright. However, the recruiter never called, and didn't even follow up until midnight my time, saying they apologized and were out of the office, forgot to reach out to a manager about the call, and wanted to reschedule it to tomorrow - which I found out at 11AM the next morning tomorrow meant that very same day. However, even that got cancelled at the last minute. When it came to rescheduling a second time, it took the recruiter over a week to get back to me with timing again because they were out of the office. By the time we had nailed down a time and finally spoke for a short screener, it had been over 3 weeks since the initial email.

I haven't heard back from them since. Overall, not a hard interview, but very inconsistent communication.

Interview Questions

• How would you react being in an environment where client requests come in and are done/taken in without much/any structure?   Answer Question

UI/User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Escondido, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Alpha (Escondido, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

They sent out a mass email to every candidate that applied asking them to complete a sample project. They attached a Google Doc with a sample project. Once I passed the prototyping sample project vetting, I was sent a DocuSign document. After reading the DocuSign document, I noticed it said that “all work would be Alpha’s and I could not use the work in my portfolio or other uses.” This was why I had to decline. It was also $50/hr max with 2 hour max per assignment. I don’t believe in working on a per hour basis, so that was another deterrent.

Interview Questions

• Design two variations of this Translation App. You will be graded foremost on Visual Design and secondarily on the functionality of your prototype. (Bonus points for using advanced prototyping tools like Axure and Principle.)   1 Answer

Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Alpha (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

The hiring process usually involves an initial application, a phone interview and then a long in office interview where you meet and sit with different members of the team. The process is all about getting to know you as a person and how you fit into the company culture, how you work and what experience you have relative to the role. Be sure to also ask questions beyond the traditional interview questions and get to know the team.

Interview Questions

• The interview is all about learning more about you as a person beyond what is written on paper.
      Q - What do you like to do outside of work?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Alpha.

Interview

The hiring process is initiated through posting on indeed by recruiters.
    Then once your CV is screened by the management.
    If your profile select then they will call you for face to face interview.