Altera Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

3.2

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

2 technical questions, they're really big on the whole data structures and being able to optimize the whole process.

Overall went well but definitely could've prepared self more if I knew what I was going into.

Interview Questions

• Given an array that increases then decreases, find the peak.   Answer Question

High End FPGA Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

The office assistant emailed me time slot for a phone interview with 2 engineers. They called 10 minutes late and were in a huge rush to finish it. Questions about the company and hiring landscape were answered briefly and reluctantly. They don't even want to ask about your entire work experience or relate it to the job description.

Interview Questions

• Write Verilog code for sequence detector 1101   1 Answer
    • How would you improve timing on a 32 bit ripple carry adder?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

First round has 3 interviews.
    1 math software question
    1 datastructure software question
    1 High Level Hardware design question to implement arithmetic operations

Math question:
    int func(double reference, double target,int& m, int& n)
    Choose integers m and n such that it gives an output in integer such that
    target is closest to reference as possible.

Data Structure software question
    See below

High Level Hardware Design

Design a hardware that does the function below

f(n) = 3n +1 if n is odd
    n/2 if n is even given adder blocks and multiplication block

Interview Questions

• Software Question:
      Design a data structure such that, given a key, output the values.
      Given values, output all key with this values   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2012.

Interview

First round includes two half-an-hour interviews with a software engineer and a hardware engineer. Second round includes a group lunch and five individual interviews with senior managers, half an hour each. Most questions are technical. People are nice and the entire process is efficient and professional.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2010.

Interview

Interview consisted of two stages, both 1:1 (6 interviews total). They didn't seem interested in discussing my past projects and dived straight into the usual white board programming questions. The questions were stimulating and I was able to eventually answer the questions. They have some interesting projects going on.

Interview Questions

Pros: Great location in downtown Toronto; free drinks and nice office.
    Cons: (Biggest for me) Most of the projects, while interesting didn't seem related to my past experience and I was unwilling to move away from my technical niche.

Analog Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Califon, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Altera (Califon, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got the call for a phone screen very soon. The position was for a Analog Design Engineer. They were looking for person with knowledge in Analog.

Interview Questions

• Asked many technical questions regarding analog designs. Most of the questions were related to OPAMP. They asked about the projects which I have done before   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied for position, got a call 2 weeks later requesting an interview. 3 separate interviews, 30 mins each with a different manager each time. Questions were algorithm questions with coding in C involved.

Interview Questions

• Find and count duplicate elements between 2 unsorted arrays   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview was held in person at their office in Toronto. There were 3 interviewers. Each interviewer interviewed for 30 minutes without a break in between. The interview was purely technical.

Negative experience: The second interviewer did not seem interested in the interview at all. I answered the question promptly and talked through my solution but he kept looking at his phone.

NCG Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

First phone screen-30min Onsite - 5 rounds Interview was moderate to difficult. The interviewers were friendly and the interview was not easy. The concepts should be very clear to answer all the questions.

Interview Questions

• Asked about designing 4:1 mux using 2:1 mux and write verilog code,c program for swapping 2 variables without using a temp register, how the bidirectional pin would behave , frequency divider circuit,mestability,blocking and non blocking statements ,difference between dram and sram,diff between == and === in verilog,why gate level program is not written,finite state machine for a wending machine and writing the verilog code for it,questions related to sram project,clock domains in which the fifo would be working. Asked a whole lot of questions related to phase locked loops,ring oscillators and MIPS Project.   3 Answers

Accelerator Debug Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was a senior studying Computer Engineering when I applied. I first contacted my professor who told me one of his technical leads in Altera was looking for a Java programmer. He gave his technical lead a great recommendation of me, so he decided to contact me for a phone interview. It took two phone interviews before I got the on-site interview, both times I was asked to solve coding questions.

During the on-site interview, the first three interviewers asked me a couple questions about my resume and spent most of the time allocated on technical questions on bit manipulation, string manipulation, and recursion. I was able to answer what I thought were easy questions and struggled on the hard questions, which I now know weren't hard or tricky. The next one was the one who gave me my first phone interview, who mostly asked me questions to establish job and culture fit. As this was my first interview, I didn't really know what to say to him at all, let alone know what the job was really about. My last interviewer was my professor who told me the position would about writing drivers in a Linux kernel environment.

Since the interview, I did myself a favor and studied up on CS fundamentals, Linux kernels, and embedded systems and I found myself interested in the last two as a career entry point, but I didn't realize it at the time.

Interview Questions

• What is an efficient method to count the number of set bits in a bit vector?   Answer Question