Altman Vilandrie & Company Interview Questions in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 7, 2017

3.4

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

First round was a 1 on 1 phone interview with a current associate. The interview started out basic with behavioral questions but then moved to a market size/profitability case question. Knowledge of AVC is required as well as a clearly defined motivation to enter consulting.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do consulting?   Answer Question
    • The case question was a market size and profitability analysis of CVS potentially stocking a 100th Birthday Card. How many 100 year olds are in the US? How many of the cards would CVS sell? Is it profitable?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Cambridge, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Standard fit questions; e.g., "Why AV&Co.?", "Why do you want do do TMT consulting?" ("TMT" is "Telecom, Media, and Technology," which you should definitely know because that's the only areas in which they consult). Some other people have said the interviewers weren't very experienced at the interview process, and that was my experience as well: I had two interviews back-to-back, and one of the two interviewers wasn't at all skilled in guiding the case discussion along–so be prepared to take charge and ask questions if you don't understand. Their cases are also fairly quant-heavy.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a team conflict and how you resolved it; what was at stake for the team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a current AV&Co. employee and had a brief conversation with the recruiter. There were two phone interviews, followed by three in-office interviews.

The entire process was very smooth and the AV&Co. recruiting team was incredibly supportive. The whole process would have taken less than two weeks, but I had to work around my own work schedule for a final round interview.

Out of five interviews, three were with directors (or firm partners), including one of the founders. It was clear that people cared about recruiting from top to bottom within the organization.

The recruiting staff was also incredibly understanding once I received my offer. I was traveling extensively, and they were flexible with a decision deadline. The firm was very genuine in their desire for candidates to make a decision that was best for them, rather than the firm.

Overall, it was one of the best recruiting process I've encountered in consulting.

Interview Questions

• Fit questions followed by a case. Cases were generally unique and generated by each interviewer.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

resume screening, first round interviews with junior analysts (1-year) on campus and then final round with three higher-level employees at the office; straightforward process, friendly staff; some senior interviewers will put you through stress test (which is common) but mostly a good learning experience

Interview Questions

• general fit questions (why AV, teamwork, leadership, work experience, etc) in all rounds; two 30-min cases on the first round and three 45-min cases on final round   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an Altman Vilandrie alumni in March and was hired by mid April. The recruiter went into great detail answering each of my questions prior Q & A. Speaking about the origins of the firm, the scope of work, culture and personal story of why he choose them. From there I had two phone interviews that included 30 minute cases and some standard behavioral interview questions. Each interviewer let me know more about their background and experience with the firm prior to the case. what was nice was the recruiter met me for coffee prior to my interview to calm my nerves after long flight from Canada. The final round was challenging having a combination of video conference and in person case interviews. I found the cases fascinating and had me excited about joining, I remember at one point thinking can I start now? The next week I was extended the offer by senior management with a follow up call from the recruiter. Everything fell into place, after signing my offer I was contacted by HR and my work authorization form was sorted through quickly. I will be joining the firm in May and could not have had a more pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe the differences in "fiber hoods" relating to a google fiber case.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The compensation was covered up from on the initial call. I was told comp is kept at the same level so there was no negotiation. The offer was as described.

Experience Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiting firm online asking my interest. After speaking with this 3rd party, I had 45 mins behavioral interview, during which the interview talked most of the time. Following that, I had 2 back-to-back case interviews with consultants, and eventually they flew me to Boston for the final round, which consisted 3 case interviews. I heard back a couple a days that they were extending me an offer and I accepted.

Pros:
    1) People are super friendly and smart. It feels more like conversations than interviews
    2) Super fun cases from real Telco industry practice

Con:
    1) Process could be long - it took me almost 2 months to finish the entire cycle
    2) People are busy so be prepared to reschedule from time to time

Interview Questions

• Google fiber explores go-to-market strategy to a city.
      Online gift shop expands their line of business.
      Amazon Echo go-to-market.
      Movie studio monetizes through OTT.
      Mid-size wireless company operations.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Their in-house recruiter reached out to me to schedule a phone interview to start an experienced-hire process for a consultant position. I asked him a couple questions about the company that he couldn't answer (commission structure, partner track, etc), but he promised to get back to me the week after. He then emailed me twice saying he was still trying to figure out the answers to my questions. He then never got back to me again.

Two weeks later, a third-party recruiter reached out to me for the same position, and I told him their internal recruiter had already reached out to me before. I told him about the experience, and he apologized for the lack of coordination.

Another two weeks later, a different third-party recruiter reached out to me, so I told him about my previous experiences. Interestingly enough, this 3rd party recruiter had already made their own disappointing experiences with AV&C's internal recruiter.

Overall, this was the most uncoordinated process (or beginning of it) I have ever experienced with any consulting firm.

Interview Questions

• How do you see your career evolving over the next 5 - 7 years?   1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Took about 4 weeks, started with a brief call with someone who worked there, HR screen, two back to back case interviews, and then final rounds at their Boston office. HR was super friendly and my interviewers were clearly brilliant - both had attended Ivy Leagues and had a witty sense of humor. The actual case interview portion is challenging, but if you need help, they are willing to walk you through it.

Interview Questions

• Imagine it is 2012. Microsoft wants to either come out with a smart watch or a fitness band. Evaluate this decision.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

On campus interview and then I was called in for a final round at their offices in Boston. The on campus interview consisted of speaking with two Associates at the firm for 30 minutes each and then doing a case study with each of them--focusing on TMT.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you really struggled as a member of a team. What did you do?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

HR interview, 2 case studies, final round interview. Mix of managers and analysts in my interviews. Everyone was professional. Firm uses case studies to test analysts but also inserts some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you made a mistake   1 Answer