Altman Vilandrie & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Altman Vilandrie & Company Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2017

3.4

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company.

Interview

normal case interviews - I had two cases via phone and then flew into their office in boston for the final round interview process. The cases were quite challenging to be honest.

Interview Questions

• They start off with questions about you and just getting to know you as a person and your background, but then they dive into specific cases just like any other case you have done before.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

First round was a 1 on 1 phone interview with a current associate. The interview started out basic with behavioral questions but then moved to a market size/profitability case question. Knowledge of AVC is required as well as a clearly defined motivation to enter consulting.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do consulting?   Answer Question
    • The case question was a market size and profitability analysis of CVS potentially stocking a 100th Birthday Card. How many 100 year olds are in the US? How many of the cards would CVS sell? Is it profitable?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through campus and was invited to do a first round phone interview. It was back to back, 45 minutes each, with around 15 minutes of behavioral questions and 30 minutes for a case study.

Interview Questions

• What did you do when there was a conflict between your group members?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

I was invited for a first-round interview which consisted of two back-to-back 45 minute interviews, each with a principal. Definitely a mixed experience; the first interviewer was very enjoyable to speak with although he seemed very tired. On the other hand, the second interviewer was terrible, both extremely obnoxious and inattentive throughout the whole interview. Each interview consisted of a couple of behavioral questions and then a case within the TMT industry. I enjoyed both of the cases and generally thought I did well but not well enough I guess.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in technology? Give me examples.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Cambridge, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Standard fit questions; e.g., "Why AV&Co.?", "Why do you want do do TMT consulting?" ("TMT" is "Telecom, Media, and Technology," which you should definitely know because that's the only areas in which they consult). Some other people have said the interviewers weren't very experienced at the interview process, and that was my experience as well: I had two interviews back-to-back, and one of the two interviewers wasn't at all skilled in guiding the case discussion along–so be prepared to take charge and ask questions if you don't understand. Their cases are also fairly quant-heavy.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a team conflict and how you resolved it; what was at stake for the team?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a current AV&Co. employee and had a brief conversation with the recruiter. There were two phone interviews, followed by three in-office interviews.

The entire process was very smooth and the AV&Co. recruiting team was incredibly supportive. The whole process would have taken less than two weeks, but I had to work around my own work schedule for a final round interview.

Out of five interviews, three were with directors (or firm partners), including one of the founders. It was clear that people cared about recruiting from top to bottom within the organization.

The recruiting staff was also incredibly understanding once I received my offer. I was traveling extensively, and they were flexible with a decision deadline. The firm was very genuine in their desire for candidates to make a decision that was best for them, rather than the firm.

Overall, it was one of the best recruiting process I've encountered in consulting.

Interview Questions

• Fit questions followed by a case. Cases were generally unique and generated by each interviewer.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

resume screening, first round interviews with junior analysts (1-year) on campus and then final round with three higher-level employees at the office; straightforward process, friendly staff; some senior interviewers will put you through stress test (which is common) but mostly a good learning experience

Interview Questions

• general fit questions (why AV, teamwork, leadership, work experience, etc) in all rounds; two 30-min cases on the first round and three 45-min cases on final round   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an Altman Vilandrie alumni in March and was hired by mid April. The recruiter went into great detail answering each of my questions prior Q & A. Speaking about the origins of the firm, the scope of work, culture and personal story of why he choose them. From there I had two phone interviews that included 30 minute cases and some standard behavioral interview questions. Each interviewer let me know more about their background and experience with the firm prior to the case. what was nice was the recruiter met me for coffee prior to my interview to calm my nerves after long flight from Canada. The final round was challenging having a combination of video conference and in person case interviews. I found the cases fascinating and had me excited about joining, I remember at one point thinking can I start now? The next week I was extended the offer by senior management with a follow up call from the recruiter. Everything fell into place, after signing my offer I was contacted by HR and my work authorization form was sorted through quickly. I will be joining the firm in May and could not have had a more pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe the differences in "fiber hoods" relating to a google fiber case.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The compensation was covered up from on the initial call. I was told comp is kept at the same level so there was no negotiation. The offer was as described.

Experience Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiting firm online asking my interest. After speaking with this 3rd party, I had 45 mins behavioral interview, during which the interview talked most of the time. Following that, I had 2 back-to-back case interviews with consultants, and eventually they flew me to Boston for the final round, which consisted 3 case interviews. I heard back a couple a days that they were extending me an offer and I accepted.

Pros:
    1) People are super friendly and smart. It feels more like conversations than interviews
    2) Super fun cases from real Telco industry practice

Con:
    1) Process could be long - it took me almost 2 months to finish the entire cycle
    2) People are busy so be prepared to reschedule from time to time

Interview Questions

• Google fiber explores go-to-market strategy to a city.
      Online gift shop expands their line of business.
      Amazon Echo go-to-market.
      Movie studio monetizes through OTT.
      Mid-size wireless company operations.   Answer Question

Experienced Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altman Vilandrie & Company (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

One 30 minute phone interview. Then, two 45 minute case interviews over the phone. After the two case interviews, I did not hear anything from Altman for over two weeks. After two weeks, I asked the recruiter to reach out to them and they said they were not moving forward. (No additional feedback.) Overall, they did not seem very interested in learning about my background/interests and were not courteous enough to inform me of their decision. The interviewers seemed very focused on intelligence / quickly performing math problems. One even bragged about the average IQ of their staff.

Interview Questions

• Case question about Google Fiber entering the market. Including a quantitative portion about break-even analysis and how to price their service.   Answer Question