Altria Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Altria Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Altria (Columbia, MO) in October 2016.

Interview

I only made it through the first round of interviews. It wasn't too difficult--they asked questions like if you are able to relocate, and then they asked some behavioral questions. Overall it wasn't too difficult, and the two people that interviewed me were very friendly. Slightly surprised I didn't make it to the second round.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you told a customer they could get a product for a certain price, but then you found out that price was much cheaper than you could actually give them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Altria (Fresno, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

first was phone interview. second was panel interview with 3 managers. both used basic star behavioral questions. was given a case study at panel interview which was presenting a coffee product. overall learned a lot. was very disappointed to not move on and get offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Storrs, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altria (Storrs, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

Met representatives at a university recruitment fair. I had two rounds of interviews. One was a two on one interview, which was standard. The second was a brief case study where I had to recommend a new kind of coffee to a convenience store owned based on information given. The third part was a day in the field, where I spent a day with territory sales managers in Worcester mass. This was more casual than I had expected, and they didn't ask me many questions, just gave me an opportunity to see what working there was like. Lots of situational questions

Interview Questions

• How would you behave if you promised a client one thing, and were not able to follow through on that promise?   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Altria.

Interview

Got the interview by applying to the website and was later reached out through email by one of the recruiters to be interviewed a week later. Interview was an hour long and very casual with going over the resume, behavioral question and one short mini case study asking what I would do if I had messed up placing an order at a retail store. Overall, pretty good experience and interviewers were very nice. There were a total of 3 rounds, round 1-behavioral, 2-case study, 3-field with territory sales manager to see how well you fit into the position.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altria (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I was screened by HR via a phone call within two weeks of applying. I was able to pass to the next stage, and did a phone interview with the hiring managers.

One of the hiring managers seemed brash and disorganized, he kept asking me irrelevant questions. In addition, the job description that they advertised does not properly fit the post they are trying to fill. I had a bad experience.

Interview Questions

• Q. In the initial screening call they will ask you if you are comfortable with working for a tobacco and alcohol company.
      Q. Why did you apply?
      Q. Tell us briefly about your research and why it's relevant?
      Q. A bunch of inconsistent and irrelevant questions from one of the managers.
      Answer Question

Territory Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Altria (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Brutal. Long, drawn out, saber-metric type of reinvention of the wheel. Maybe the company is great overall, but the territory manager and district manager drank more kool-aid than I have ever seen. Reeeeal company boys. Nothing wrong with that, I take a lot of pride in my job(s) for sure, but these boys were robotic about it. Pound for pound the worst interview process I've ever seen or been a part of. Completely turned me off of the position and the company. It's the type of top-heavy BS that you see in larger companies. Hire consultants and other drones to spend a year to come up with a "Perfect" interview process/system. Maybe the system works overall, maybe it doesn't. But I'm not the type of guy who needs to have meeting after meeting to talk about things that a) are rudimentary b) don't need to be talked about if everyone just rolled up their sleeves and executed the task at hand. i'm a doer. I'm impatient and do not like to waste my time or the time of others. These are the type of guys that have meetings about meetings just so they can play dress up and wear their fresh dry cleaning to impress their peers. They benefit from selling a product that actually changes the way your brain works/prioritizes things, not from their superior skillset they are all led to believe they have. I didn't have the heart to break it to them lol, but I could see them coming a mile away. Couldn't tell you the first thing about relationship building and earning someones business, but could tell you both the wood type AND grain pattern on the underside of their bosses desk.
    I did NOT get an offer, which honestly surprised me. I'm overqualified for the position. This will probably seem like a bitter post, it's really not. I saw all I needed to see and would not have accepted the position unless it was insanely aggressive. Even then, I likely would have had my ear to the ground for something a little less stuffy as soon as orientation ended and I flushed my kool-aid down the toilet.
    Their line of questioning was pretty basic stuff. A lot of personality stuff fishing for leadership qualities etc. I had a few phone calls including a phone screen that was an hour long and then advanced to the panel interview. More of the same ho-hum line of questioning. "Tell me about a time you made a mistake and what did you do?" It's all quintessential interview questions that, if you actually have ever had a job in your life, you can make connections with your experiences to answer their questions.
    My issue isn't the questions, it's the process required for the position at stake and the personnel sent to execute the mission. This isn't the Pentagon, it's a route sales position where you're more of a consultant than an actual salesperson.
    This is the type of company that would rather pull a 40 year olds SAT scores and College GPA from 2 decades ago and consider them with more clout than successful work experiences, personality/intangibles, etc. Not really the interviewers fault, it's a giant company that likes to paint every region of the Country with a broad brush, but these guys certainly are "yes" men who will do well in the company because of that.
    Again, no bitterness toward the actual company, I heard good things which is even why I answered the posted position. I mean it's global and stuffy, but I know they do their fair share of donating money etc, so it's hard for me to totally throw stones. Their biggest knock is the management when you read through Glassdoor. I, unfortunately, just had a very underwhelming experience with the two managers I met and echo those sentiments. Supposedly a tremendous company to work for if you can get past selling something that will likely kill it's consumers (I was fine with that), great benefits, and decent salary for sure. Sales is a relationship business though, and if you drag me into an interview (the third one over 4-6 weeks time) with TWO people who are part of the management team and "leaders" of the company, at least make sure they can sell the company. They didn't. I left dreading I would get an offer and be forced to take the position just because of the financial benefit and superior medical benefits.
    Ironically, a week after my interview, my thank you letter, and absolutely no response from R2D2 and C3PO, I got promoted at my current job. Weird how things work out.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you made a mistake at work and how did you rectify it?   1 Answer

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Altria.

Interview

Several different rounds of interviews including a panel interview with a case study. In the big panell interview you will be asked to answer a few behavioral interview questions and then given a case analysis. They purposely give you more information then you can process with the allotted time so you will have to be very smart and efficient to identify the important information you want to use. Also, don't be intimidated by their game faces during the interviewing. They want to see how you work under pressure.

I've heard its a great company to work for but I lost a lot of respect for them when they didn't even have the professional courtesy to return my follow up or let me know that I hadn't been selected.

Summer Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altria.

Interview

Three stage interview. First included behavioral questions in the S-situation, T-task at hand, A-action, R-result format. Second included case study where you needed to calculate penny profit, margin and break even and use it to support the case study, then role play it. Also, a few more behavioral questions. Last round was a day in the field where you got to see what you would be doing and try it out for yourself.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to prioritize and use time management.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altria (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

1st round: Behavioral, questions about yourself and situations you have been in. Then are given a theoretical situation and need to apply the SCAR method. Time to ask questions at the end.

2nd round: Behavioral, panel interview where you are given a case and 15 minutes to analyze the problem and gather information. Then you pretend to sell it and present it back to the interviewers.

3rd Round: Day in the field

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to convince a group to go forward with your idea?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altria.

Interview

Process so far has been 3 steps:
    Met with on campus recruiter at involement fair, and showed great interest

Phone interview for about 45-60 minutes which were normal STAR behavior based

Next round is a panel interview

Interview Questions

• Named a time you created a new system for the betterment of yourself or organizaiton, what was it and how did it changes things   Answer Question