Altria Territory Sales Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Altria Territory Sales Interview Questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Altria (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Brutal. Long, drawn out, saber-metric type of reinvention of the wheel. Maybe the company is great overall, but the territory manager and district manager drank more kool-aid than I have ever seen. Reeeeal company boys. Nothing wrong with that, I take a lot of pride in my job(s) for sure, but these boys were robotic about it. Pound for pound the worst interview process I've ever seen or been a part of. Completely turned me off of the position and the company. It's the type of top-heavy BS that you see in larger companies. Hire consultants and other drones to spend a year to come up with a "Perfect" interview process/system. Maybe the system works overall, maybe it doesn't. But I'm not the type of guy who needs to have meeting after meeting to talk about things that a) are rudimentary b) don't need to be talked about if everyone just rolled up their sleeves and executed the task at hand. i'm a doer. I'm impatient and do not like to waste my time or the time of others. These are the type of guys that have meetings about meetings just so they can play dress up and wear their fresh dry cleaning to impress their peers. They benefit from selling a product that actually changes the way your brain works/prioritizes things, not from their superior skillset they are all led to believe they have. I didn't have the heart to break it to them lol, but I could see them coming a mile away. Couldn't tell you the first thing about relationship building and earning someones business, but could tell you both the wood type AND grain pattern on the underside of their bosses desk.
I did NOT get an offer, which honestly surprised me. I'm overqualified for the position. This will probably seem like a bitter post, it's really not. I saw all I needed to see and would not have accepted the position unless it was insanely aggressive. Even then, I likely would have had my ear to the ground for something a little less stuffy as soon as orientation ended and I flushed my kool-aid down the toilet.
Their line of questioning was pretty basic stuff. A lot of personality stuff fishing for leadership qualities etc. I had a few phone calls including a phone screen that was an hour long and then advanced to the panel interview. More of the same ho-hum line of questioning. "Tell me about a time you made a mistake and what did you do?" It's all quintessential interview questions that, if you actually have ever had a job in your life, you can make connections with your experiences to answer their questions.
My issue isn't the questions, it's the process required for the position at stake and the personnel sent to execute the mission. This isn't the Pentagon, it's a route sales position where you're more of a consultant than an actual salesperson.
This is the type of company that would rather pull a 40 year olds SAT scores and College GPA from 2 decades ago and consider them with more clout than successful work experiences, personality/intangibles, etc. Not really the interviewers fault, it's a giant company that likes to paint every region of the Country with a broad brush, but these guys certainly are "yes" men who will do well in the company because of that.
Again, no bitterness toward the actual company, I heard good things which is even why I answered the posted position. I mean it's global and stuffy, but I know they do their fair share of donating money etc, so it's hard for me to totally throw stones. Their biggest knock is the management when you read through Glassdoor. I, unfortunately, just had a very underwhelming experience with the two managers I met and echo those sentiments. Supposedly a tremendous company to work for if you can get past selling something that will likely kill it's consumers (I was fine with that), great benefits, and decent salary for sure. Sales is a relationship business though, and if you drag me into an interview (the third one over 4-6 weeks time) with TWO people who are part of the management team and "leaders" of the company, at least make sure they can sell the company. They didn't. I left dreading I would get an offer and be forced to take the position just because of the financial benefit and superior medical benefits.
Ironically, a week after my interview, my thank you letter, and absolutely no response from R2D2 and C3PO, I got promoted at my current job. Weird how things work out.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you made a mistake at work and how did you rectify it?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Altria

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Altria (New Brunswick, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a campus event, then interviewed the next week with a lot of behavioral questions. I interviewed a second time by having a half hour with a case study, then presenting my tactics to improve sales. The third interview was in the field, where I followed around a Territory Sales Rep and a Unit Manager, then went to lunch. It was all pretty straight forward. After going through the whole process, I didn't hear from anyone for over two months (which was pretty inconvenient) until I got the call offering me the position. When I called back to accept the offer, my phone call was sent to voicemail.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when there was a problem with management and the specific steps you took to resolve the issue   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altria (University Park, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

First round: Behavioral-based and resume
    Second round: Case-based then behavioral-based/ resume again

Overall this part was not too difficult and the case appeared more intense than it was. The interviewer talked me through the case and I was able to pick up on things I missed on my own. This part was basically just used to see how well you can work through a problem.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?
      Describe a time when you worked in a team to solve a problem.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altria (Madison, WI) in January 2013.

Interview

I was approached by an Altria representative during my junior year of college. First there was a phone interview where i was asked basic question about myself and certain things on my resume. Then i was asked to do an inperson interview with one person and it basically was the same as the phone interview. I was called back for a third interview which was a panel interview and had 3 people asking me leadership questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altria (Kansas City, MO) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied for the job through my school's career services website and completed a 2:1 first round interview. The questions were average or slightly above, with a couple of curve balls and tests thrown out to see how I handled dealing with pressure. I'm sad to say I didn't get the second round.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you managed the collection of data and how did you ensure that it was properly collected?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altria (San Francisco, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

I found about this job opportunity through my college's career website. I applied online and was picked to be interviewed on campus. I went for the interview and was interviewed by three people; hr rep, district manager, and Sales manager.

Most of the questions were about my resume, what my goals for the future were, behavioral type questions, what kind of salary was I looking for, and what other companies did I apply at.

Territory Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altria in March 2012.

Interview

I had my initial screening interview, which was 2:1. The interviewers were really nice. They asked a few traditional interview questions and some behavioral questions to be answered in STAR format. Thy asked follow up questions after my answer to their question. Waiting on the panel interview now.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?   1 Answer