Alvarez & Marsal Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Alvarez & Marsal Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Alvarez & Marsal

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal (Chicago, IL) in June 2007.

Interview

I had a very good experience during the interview process, straight forward interview, regular background check, I really liked the job but i got a better offer at another company.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest challenge at home?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Alvarez & Marsal

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

At the time of my interview, I had only heard of the firm through a friend who worked there. I put in my application as a backup, but was blow away by the opportunities the firm has to offer its employees.

Do: Your homework about the partners you will be interviewing, the fields they work in, and what that work entails. Also, unlike some firms it is encouraged that you have real conversations during the recruitment and show personality.

Don't: Ask questions that can be found on the front page of the website and avoid asking to many generic questions. Alvarez prides itself on hiring inteligent people who can solve complicated questions.

Positives: Friendly people, great offices, very competitive pay, great opportunity for advancement
    Negatives: The firm is young so some of the kinks are still being worked out with in the recruitment process.

Interview Questions

• How much should you charge to wash all the windows in our building?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest weakness, and your answer can't be a positive (such as too hard of a work, caring too much, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation

They are willing to negotiate if you bring the right qualities to the table. However, realize that they aren't going to move too much because their compensation packages are already quite competitive.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had one in-person informal interview and three phone interviews, each with directors.

Interview Questions

• Market Sizing: What is the market size for the billboard advertising market in the U.S.?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was very good, therefore I did not negotiate. I don't know if A&M negotiates, but they were very helpful and respectful throughout the entire interview process, so they are definitely approachable!

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal.

Interview

Informational first round interview and then a second round interview that included a 3 hour group case interview. Very difficult group case interview but was an interesting experience none the less.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think that you'd be the best fit for A&M over the other candidates?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Phone interview first folowed by in person interview in their offices

Interview Questions

• If you are prepared for the lifestyle/demands of a job with a consulting firm,   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Met with many people, senior and junior, in the office. They all took time to talk about their work, experiences and expectations. Everyone seemed intelligent, yet down-to-earth. Also, they really took the time to get to know me as a person and my likes/dislikes from a professional standpoint. Interview questions revolved around modeling certain scenarios and light accounting questions.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult questions were about examples of relevant experiences.   1 Answer

Got another offer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Was contacted through university recruitment office and asked to interview. Initially had a phone interview with the hiring manager and then met with hiring manager, director and senior associates at their office. Questions mostly revolved around previous experience with financial questions thrown in as well. Overall it was a smooth process and they moved quickly with a decision.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal.

Interview

I was first called by phone and then was contacted a few weeks later informing me that representatives would be coming out for campus interviews. They had told me to set aside almost an hour for the interview, but I was only in there for no more than 30 minutes. I was slightly intimidated when I realized one of the interviewers was a Managing Director, because I had not anticipated this for a campus interview. However, both of the individuals were very easy to talk. They didn't really ask the typical interview questions, and it was more structured like having a conversation. I could tell that they liked me, but knew I was under-qualified for the position. After a little over a month they contacted me to schedule a final interview at the company's location. This interview did last the full time (roughly 2 hours) and consisted of four separate conversations with potential colleagues. They asked more challenging questions that assumed I did preliminary research, which I had. Everyone I encountered in the company was very friendly, and didn't seek to be intimidating -- overall a positive experience.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

The process took a few weeks. Most of the employees are referred. The people are friendly and the interview is very behavioral in nature. The best way to prepare is to know your story.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Alvarez & Marsal (Berkeley, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Participated in a first round interview through on campus recruiting. There were two 30 minute interviews. The first was a behavioral interview and the second a case interview. Both were with two employees at A&M and the case interview had a senior partner. The behavioral interview was straightforward starting with "tell me about yourself" and moving into specific situational questions.