Amazon Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

They use the S.T.A.R. method of interviewing which is all situational questions that begin with "tell me about time when.." The idea is to get a sense of how you deal with adversity and other types of situations. The problem is asking hypothetical questions only leads to hypothetical answers as you may not have experienced all of these scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you didn't follow protocol and how did you resolve that with your manager?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Recruiters are sensational. Outreach, follow up top notch. They provide you background company philosophy and values which are incredible. Its too bad the folks you interview with are not following the same standards. Found interviewer to be abrasive, bumptious and quick to focus on their problems. And 30 mins late to call.

Interview Questions

• Most challenging professional experience   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2016.

Interview

Couple of exploratory calls with HR. 3 different area phone interviews, then a standard "you've not been selected email." I'm thinking that I could still continue in the process but nothing like getting the wind knocked out of your sails.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to solve the issue using leadership?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

All happened very fast. Had a phone interview and then was invited into the office for a final round where I interviewed with three different professionals. They asked a lot of leadership questions. Be sure to thoroughly understand the position you are applying for before you go in for an interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a goal that you have failed to reach and how did you handle it? How did you prepare for this interview?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Pretty tough interview process. Mine consisted of 5 1-1's and a 45 min presentation. They focus heavily on the leadership principles and your understanding of their technology. You need to be able to relate your experiences with Amazon's principles to be considered.

Interview Questions

• How would you treat an executive from a start up vs an established corporation?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The process begins with a brief (30 min) call with a recruiter who is looking to verify your resume and ask basic questions about your qualifications. If that goes well, you will have a second phone interview/screening with someone within Amazon, usually a senior level manager. The woman I had was TOUGH! She asked very deep career situation questions (see below) and will look to see how you handle yourself on the phone and being put on the spot. If you can make it pass that, you will be offered the opportunity to come to Seattle and interview at the HQ in what they call the "loop." The loop is a series of 5 interviews each one hour long, with 1 of them being with a "bar raiser." The job of the bar raiser isn't to ask you questions about the role you are applying, but to see if you have what it takes to be an Amazonian. Do you have the drive, the intelligence, the ability to grow into a manger (leader), etc. if you can pass all THAT - you'll be extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• (1) Give me an example of a time when you were 75% of the way through a project, and you had to pivot strategy - how were you able to make that into a success story?   1 Answer
    • (2) Give me a time where you took a calculated risk and how was it successful?   Answer Question
    • (3) Bring up a time in the past when you were able to really focus on the company – thinking how a customer will benefit from this.   Answer Question
    • (4) Share a time when you were able able to spot a trend, evaluate the risk then work through it with a team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone interview for about lasted for about 20 to 30 minutes. They asked a lot of questions about my background experiences and also a lot of behavioral questions. First I went through my past experience, and then the person asked me a lot of behavioral questions. How I would deal with a certain challenge, how to deal with people you work with, etc.. The person also, asked how much I knew about the job and the company and things I would be looking for out of a new opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Amazon? If you had to deal with 1,000 clients, how would you know who to prioritize?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Qualifier - This review is for Amazon Web Services only.

If i had to pick one word to describe their process, it would simply be difficult. My first observation - They have a stable of recruiters and HR specialists you will engage with, but none of them are assigned to a region, functional skill, or segment. It is also not clear which of them has "responsibility" for the process. The second issue is that the well advertised culture issues are very real, but their employees can't see them. The level of arrogance and elitism during the process was genuinely disappointing. They spend a lot of time telling you about the Amazon culture and the leadership principles during the process (and how special they are), but they seem to forget that candidates are also evaluating whether AWS is actually a good place to work. They also completely disregard the recent New York Times article about their culture issues which seem relevant to my experience as well.

The process itself is pretty standard. Initial interview with HR screener, interview with a HR scheduler, 1st call with hiring manager or lead, second interview with HR screener, then a 1/2 to 3/4 day onsite interview panel of 4-6 people. It is also important to note that the hiring manager doesn't have any real authority in the hiring process. FYI - you have to gain consensus from all the people you meet with (not sure about the ratios, they wouldn't share any details on this), and the manager is only one vote in this. I would suggest bringing food and drink with you, and be forewarned that "bio" breaks are minimal, if you get them. You will either have to do a presentation on a topic of your choice or provide a writing sample of 1-4 pages on a topic they will provide you. You will not receive any feedback on either of these afterwards. They will not tell you who you are meeting with in advance, nor did most of the interview panel people introduce themselves before jumping into their battery of questions. Be forewarned, AWS is real big on data entry, and the people in the room will spend a large portion of their time entering notes into the HR system during the process. This is a another area that they could improve on as it's not very personal (which is a consistent theme with them it seems). The only highlight of the process is that they are very quick to let you know whether or not you got the job or not, usually within a day or two. However, they again will not provide you with any feedback on gaps if you have them so you can improve if you wanted to come back and try again later.

With the incredible growth of AWS, their interview process is likely going to have to change if they want to attract high quality candidates. It's also reasonable to assume that as they grow and need to add talent, that they are going to have to soften some of these rough edges at the expense of their "culture". If you can't convince potential employees that AWS values your potential and that the culture is great, they will continue to struggle to attract talent. This process likely works well in geographies with limited employment options, but in the Silicon Valley Google and Microsoft are right down the street, and hiring as well.

Hope this helps others have a better experience than i did.

Interview Questions

• Map your sales background to the Amazon leadership principles.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview process was thorough - behavioral based questions with how would you handle a specific situation and dives into your background, interest in working for Amazon, and must give examples of how you approach business

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one of your biggest accomplishments?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview for their Amazon Local group in Seattle. They asked a number of questions about my experience. They also asked the typical situational questions that you read about here.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to make an unpopular decision.   Answer Question