Amazon Account Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

3.8

63 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Started with a recruiter screening interview, then had two 45 minute phone interviews. Moved on to the 'interview loop' round where i met with 6 people on the various teams for 45 minutes each.

The asked almost all behavioral questions. Use the STAR method in your responses and make sure you're able to have specific ways YOU contributed and the results. Amazon is a quantitative company and any change you have the chance to back up your responses with data do it.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

The entire process is very thorough, transparent, and moved quickly. I applied to jobs online, was contacted by an initial recruiter who talked to me for 20 minutes about the role, what the process is like, and why I wanted to join Amazon Media Group. I was informed that the questions would be behavior/situational only, each interview would last 45 minutes, and they look for company culture fit first and then specific team fit. I was then scheduled for a phone interview with a hiring manager2 weeks later and was asked several behavior questions (Google examples) and had time to ask her questions. I was then scheduled for on site loop for a full day of interviews three weeks later with five people from different verticals and roles. They all asked various behavior questions. At each step I was informed of what to expect next and AMG really stuck to the timeline promised. After the loop I was informed of their decision within five business days. We then negotiated the offer, although there wasn't much room because it was indeed a really good offer.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you weren't satisfied with the status quo and challenged it. What was it and what did you accomplish?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I first had a phone interview which consisted of some behavioral questions and questions about my experience and resume. After that, I was schedule for an on site interview which is an entire day at the Amazon office. The day consisted of 5 interviews lasting 45 minutes each with a break for lunch. Almost all of the questions were "tell me a time when you made a mistake" "tell me a time when you over delivered for a client" "tell me a time when you disagreed with a boss" "have you ever had to help a colleague?"

When it was my turn to ask questions, a few of them I asked about the stigma of the work life balance, what they thought and what their experience was and the expectation of this role. I felt like they danced around the truth and in reality you'll be expected to be in overtime on a normal basis.
    I was told Q4 it is normal to work 10 hour days, and was told a story of someone who needed to stay til midnight to make sure a campaign launched.

I wound up not getting the job. I was given the standard "went with a more qualified candidate" answer. In the end, despite being disappointed of not getting an offer I feel like I was not going to be a fit for the culture of Amazon. I believe they want people who are willing to sacrifice their personal lives for the company and that just isn't someplace I would be happy at long term.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with two phone interviews. The first with a Manager and the second with a Senior Manager. Then an office interview with 6 different individuals. Two of the managers I interviewed with and had just started with Amazon in the past year. They were Directors at their previous jobs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online and recruiter followed up fairly quick with about 15 questions. Then set an initial phone interview. Very scripted questions and mostly repeating what was on my resume. I was told I would have an appointment set by end of day with the recruiting coordinator however it took 4 days to hear back.
    2 more phone interviews with other account managers which was also very robotic and scripted. The 2nd interview called me 45 minutes late and didn't have time to reschedule. A lot of passive questions and roll play. Heard back 3 days after that they went with a different candidate.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you came over an obstacle and how you did this.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

Nerve Racking to some degree, but generally easy (for me)

- Consisted of a presentation
    - "Loop" interview with bar raiser
    - No input or temperature check possibilities of how interview is going.
    - Very one-sided, where you do most of the talking (as with most interviews)

Preparing for an interview at Amazon is a must. Self Reflection is integral at successfully interviewing and connecting those business experiences to the leadership traits. Generally if you can sell yourself you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral and scenario type questions with exploration of scenarios and incorporating leadership traits.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with a recruiter on the phone, then an interview with a Hiring Manager on the phone and 5 different people interview on site which was a all day event

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you disagree with your manager, why and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

One phone interview, then one in-person full day interview. aka 'the loop'. The loop involved 6 one on one in person interviews then presentation role play. You are presenting an AWS solution to the C-level members. You will need to learn AWS in order to present. During presentation role play they will distract you and ask you questions you can't possibly know to see how you react, to see if they can throw you off and how you deal with different roles. All interviewers then get together in a day or two to discuss and debate whether or not they think you would be a good fit and why or why not. One of the interviewers are known as a 'Bar Raiser'. They can completely override everyone's vote. During the process, no one can provide feedback on how you are doing because it is a group decision. It is a very lengthy day. Lunch was provided. You eat while you are being interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Questions are all behavioral 'tell me about a time when'...the questions are driven from the leadership principals. Lots of questions about 'why AWS'. Many questions about how you created change in your past organizations and how those have translated into results. Many questions about how you have helped others on your team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

This interview process was challenging....It is very intense! The entire four-week process consisted of three phone calls/interviews, then an all-day on-site visit to Seattle HQ. The fIrst call was with an internal Recruiter - very high-level, explaining role/oppty. Second call was a phone interview with the hiring manager, and the third call was a phone interview with a peer. It was easier to have a chance to ask questions in the second phone interview (with the peer). It was a more relaxed interview than the one with the hiring manager. In both phone interviews, be prepared to answer a lot of "situational" questions relative to Amazon leadership principles + apply situations you've experienced in working past deals, or working with peers, or in past roles, directly to the leadership principles as you formulate your response. If you make it through the phone interviews (only 1 in 17 does), you will be invited to go through the LOOP at HQ. This process consists of an all-day series of interviews (with 5-7 people – usually 45 minutes each), as well as a 45-minute presentation. Lunch is spent with someone from the team, and that individual is not necessarily interviewing you (they tell you this), so it’s a great chance to ask questions in a more relaxed manner. The presentation is delivered to all interviewers, and is focused around either a use case for AWS or positioning your current company’s solution. The hiring manager was the CIO, one of the peers who interviewed me was the CMO, etc. They will ask you questions throughout the preso, and it’s super-important not to break character and stay in the roleplay. Each interviewer has a specific leadership principle or two, that they will be asking questions about. You need to think quick on your feet and answer the questions succinctly – focusing on the results of how you executed on that leadership principle. Some of the interviews are easier than others. There are a mix of personalities, and after talking for many hours straight, it’s challenging to stay focused. Shorter succinct, direct answers are usually better! Be prepared for things that may throw you off. One of my interviews was via video conferencing, for example. Bring a list of questions you have for the team. Each interviewer will ask their questions and give you 10 mins at the end to answer your questions. You should also be able to specifically tell the interview team WHY you want to work at Amazon. That was asked of me a few times.

Interview Questions

• TIP: (not a question they asked) Know the Amazon Leadership Principles and be prepared to effectively explain how you demonstrated those principles, relative to your past work experience!!   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Hired in early days. Took three months as they were building out team. Never met hiring Mgr in person. Interview was average. Harder now. I was lucky to get in when I did.