Amazon Area Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2017

3.2

409 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2014.

Interview

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   15 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in September 2017.

Interview

First round, online assessment test. Second round, they invite you to go to an onsite interview. Basic behavioral question (two rounds of 45 minutes each) and a case study question.

Interview Questions

• What are the biggest obstacles you have faced in your life?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

I interviewed on-site. There is a pre-briefing with your recruiter, then two 45 minute interviews and to end things off you meet again with your recruiter for a de-briefing. The interviewers I had were very welcoming and made sure you didn't feel too uncomfortable. Not a very hard interview, but they want to know that you can think on your feet.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you set a goal and didn't make it. How did you respond?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2017.

Interview

2 35 Minute interviews, In order to get the interview, I had to pass a skills and behavior assessment in which they assessed how I would respond in certain situations, the interviews were conducted by operations managers and other area managers

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2017.

Interview

Very easy interview with. I was very comfortable and the questions on here were exactly what you should expect. First there was an assemennt then invite to the DC. 2 45 min interviews with current employees

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in September 2017.

Interview

A recruiter found me on LinkedIn and made the position available to me. I applied online. The online process was moderately difficult and you had to answer a lot of behavioral based questions, or "how you would react in a situation." It seemed that all of the answers they were looking for were goal-oriented, leader based. I did not expect to hear back once I took the assessment, because I found it pretty difficult. A week later, I got an email from a different recruiter who told me I had made it to the final round interviews. This interview was on their video chat platform called "Chime". The interview was set up for a 1.5 hour time frame. They send you a lot of resources in an email on how to prepare for the interview. For example, they want every answer to be shown in STAR format (situation-task-action-result.) They also highly recommend looking up their leadership principles and answering based off of those. I have never received so much prep from a company so it was refreshing to have their help during this intense process. The interview was all behavioral-based questions. You meet with 2 different upper-level managers who were also interns at one point. They ask one case question, and they are looking to see how you react in a situation. The interview process was very casual. Neither the recruiters nor the hiring managers seemed very interested about your personal life. They were looking for straight forward answers that showed them how you would react in a situation, and what kind of a leader you are.

Interview Questions

• You are the direct manager of an employee named Suzy. Your colleague, Hank is the direct manager of an employee named Mark. One day, Suzy and Mark carpool to work together and arrive 30 minutes late. Because they arrive late, 30 minutes are automatically deducted from their pay once they clock in. You later find out that Mark has approached Hank and asked him to reverse the 30 minute deduction because Mark is a long time employee of 30 years, he has never been late, and money is quite tight for him. Your colleague, Hank, decides to reverse the deduction and therefore allow Mark to be paid for those 30 minutes. What do you say to your employee, Suzy, who approaches you about the situation? And, do you approach Hank about the situation, and if so, do you report it to anyone?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Houston, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Started with an online test which I found to be easy. Then followed a virtual interview that took almost two hours. I was then put in touch with a recruiter who scheduled me to fly to a location to interview with multiple managers which lasted a few hours in total.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Dallas, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

After applying I received an email the very next day to attend a face to face interview in Dallas. It was all very quick, my interview was a week later and they were very accommodating with travel arrangements. The day of the interview there were about 8 others there to interview for the same position at that time. There was a very short briefing with a recruiter and then two 45 minute interviews. It was actually a great experience for my first time interviewing. The interview wasn't too difficult, they asked basic behavioral questions and they had a few follow up questions. Overall it was a good experience, both interviews were pretty conversational so it wasn't too bad.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you took a big risk and failed.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Speak with current Area Manager and Operations Manager. They omit a lot of information about the job itself so ask specific questions. They make the job look perfect and try to gloss over challenges since they're scrambling to hire anyone.

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (San Bernardino, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

There is a pre-loop for internal candidates to see if there ready for the big interview which is called a pod. From there the pod will consist of 3 interview which should be 45mins -1hr. Once this process is over they will contact you whether or not you got the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you didn't have time to use any data but had to use your judgement to get the job done? What was the outcome??   Answer Question