Amazon Area Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.2

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2014.

Interview

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   8 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

I was asked to complete an online interview through Hireview. It was super easy. I had 2 mins to prepare for each question and then unlimited attempts to record and approve my response.

Interview Questions

• What was one of your mistakes? How did you handle it? What did you learn from it?   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter, then went through the formal application and interview process. Had to sign non-disclosure agreements and then participate in 2 separate 45-minute interviews. One consisted of situational based questions, one consisted of behavioral questions, pretty basic interview stuff. I haven't heard back about an offer but it's only been a few days and they said it should take 5-7 business days.

Interview Questions

• Case study type question. Presented with a scenario and asked how I'd handle it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter in November, applied and took online assessment. Had two 45 minute onsite interviews that were more like conversations, basic behavioral questions were asked in addition to a case. Received an offer within 5 days.

Interview Questions

• Generic case study question, asked in order to see your thought process and reasoning.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in DuPont, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (DuPont, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Must need preparation before jumping into this interview. Get opinion & feedback from those that have experience. Use the STAR method to compose your a formal answer. Understanding of Amazon leadership principles is a must.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Pretty easy process, interviewers make you fell really comfortable. Question focus on your ability to problem solve and lead. As long as you can relate your experiences to questions you should be fine.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2016.

Interview

Recruiter conducted initial phone screen.
    Operations manager conducted additional phone screen with math questions (see above examples)
    Interview conducted on-site. Consisted of an on site tour, case studies (sent in advance with discussions afterwards), a math flow question, and 4x 1 on 1 interviews.

Overall, Amazon does a great job setting everything up and making sure candidates are prepared and that travel is coordinated for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with your supervisor? What was the outcome?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had a poor performing team member? How did you remedy the situation?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

After initial application, was prompted to complete an online "virtual job". I suppose it would be about what your function would be like in person. Have a pen and paper ready to jot down some math equations.

Interview Questions

• There were a series of questions which ask how you deal with stress. f   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me and encouraged me to apply to the position. I applied online and heard back a week later that I had been offered and interview. The interview consisted of two thirty minute phone calls with current Area Managers at Amazon. They were mostly behavioral based and left time at the end for questions.

Interview Questions

• There are two employees who carpool to work: one works for another manager, and one works for you. They are half an hour late one day. On their next paycheck, the employee working for the other manager gets paid for half an hour more than the employee who works for you. Your employee asks you why the other employee was paid and they were not.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you worked in a team and... (many variations of this question)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I submitted my resume on an employment website my school has. I received an email about a week later inviting me to apply on Amazon.com, I didn't recieve a phone interview and about a week later I recieve an email inviting me to an interview. I set up the date and they paid for a hotel room.
    Going into my interview I was under the assumption I would be interviewing at a Fulfillment center, but I was interviewed in a hotel and by two different area managers. The first interview went well it was a case study and then behavioral questions, it felt more like a conversation than an interview. My second interviewer was negative and kept talking about how this is the most stressful and difficult job ever he was short and he only asked behavioral questions. I asked questions after the interview it lasted about an hour and a half.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had conflict in a group.
      Tell me about a time you failed.
      Tell me about a time you persuaded a group to take your idea when they already had an idea made up.

Case study:
      Two employees carpool together Jennifer and Tim, they each arrive 30 minutes late one day. When they recieve their checks Jennifer who is in your team notices she was not paid the same as Tim, as Tim was paid the 30 minutes he was late and Jennifer was not. Jennifer tells you that Tim was paid the 30 minutes. What is your course of action? Do you talk to Bruce(Tim's manager)? What would you say to Bruce?
      Let's say Bruce gives you a sad story about how Tim is having a hard with his personal life and that's all he tells you. What would you say to Bruce? What would you say to Jennifer?
      If Jennifer is still not happy would you talk to your manager or HR.
      Answer Question