Amazon Area Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Area Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Riverside, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and asked to participate in an interview. Being in Seattle, I though it would be in Seattle. Instead they pressured me to move to California, and after some consideration, I agreed to explore further. The "interview fair" was impersonal, and unimpressive. The company and the recruiter encouraged me to ask challenging questions, but when I did, it made them uncomfortable and probably backfired. One bad impression out all of the interview rounds, and you're toast. After learning more about the opportunity I would have declined an offer.

Interview Questions

• The story problem was 15 minutes long, and moderately challenging. If you're good at math and operationally experienced, it shouldn't be hard.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Lakeland, FL) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview was about 12 minutes long, including the open session for questions. The first step was to go over the work history and previous employment, two questions regarding to leadership and how to motivate employee. The 2nd step was followed by a math problem.
    The phone call was very short and sloppy; the manager was busy talking to another manager while conducting the interview; there was no interest to proceed with the interview.

Interview Questions

• How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity? How do you motivate people?   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I was recruited at College during one of our job fairs, so my first interview was at the school's career center. it was 2 days later that they called me for an on site interview. I was flown out to their Delaware fulfillment center and interviewed with 4 different managers. Overall the process took about 2 weeks and the on site lasted a little over 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions asked were pretty standard but one rather difficult one that stumped me initially was when they asked me a time to speed up a process. There is also a math problem solving question that you have to answer. They give you 15 minutes to figure it out then you have to discuss it with one of the interviewers.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

30 minute phone interview. Questions asked-Tell me about yourself, strengths and weaknesses, how do you work on a team and give an example of a time when you worked on a team and things did not go the way you wanted

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online through my schools career portal. Within one hour of applying the recruiter emails me about setting up an appointment the next day. He sends me the link to apply directly to their website, then sets up an interview with someone else. The second phone screen was simple, why Amazon? Lasted about 15 minutes, then interviewed again over the phone the following day. Started off with the workflow problem it was easy. Then followed up with telling him about myself and the like. Nothing too out of the "ordinary" behavioral questions. It was a great 30+ minute conversation until I got to the last question he had for me. The interviewer asked me to tell him more about my finance interest, I went on and on about how great finance was. After that it got awkward, I just couldn't wait to get off the phone and i'm sure he felt the same. I should have expressed more interest in operations. He went on to say they were not hiring at this time LoL.

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online at the amazon fulfillment website. Started off with a 30 minute phone screen that asked basic questions including a simple math problem. The interviewer told me that I passed the phone screen before it ended. About a week later I was invited to an on site interview. The on site interview started with a production flow problem, not hard if you are generally familiar with algebra. Just draw out a diagram of the problem so that you can fully understand each component. Later the interviewer will change a portion of the problem and you will have to recalculate. After the initial math problem, you will do four separate interviews. After you finish all four, you are free to leave. 8 days later I received an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer was excellent and there was no need to negotiate

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I connected with a recruiter via email after a job fair. I was initially set up for a phone interview, which consisted of 4 questions, three behavioral and one math question. It was pretty straightforward. I don't believe the interviewer knew anything about me, probably didn't even have a copy of my resume. I was then contacted about an on-site interview, in about three weeks. I attended the "on-site interviews," which were actually at a hotel. There were around 15 other candidates. I was interviewed by four different people, each asking behavioral questions, except for one who went over a harder math problem. It was fairly straightforward, but a little nerve-racking. The interviewers ask more questions that drill down to the details of your answers.

Interview Questions

• The question that caught me off guard the most was "Describe a time where you did something unexpected to reach a solution."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Nashua, NH) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position of Area Manager after seeing a posting for it on Indeed.com. A former military colleague works at Amazon so I also sent him an email asking for his endorsement on my application. A few days later I was sent an email from Amazon's HR department asking me to provide several different dates/times I'd be available to interview over the phone. Soon after responding, I received an email with an agreed upon date and time. Unfortunately, I never received a phone call.

After telling the HR representative I wasn't called, it was re-scheduled. An Operations Manager from Delaware phoned me on the rescheduled date but was 10 minutes late in calling me. He asked four general questions about leadership, process improvement, and then one math problem (previously posted in forum). I then had time to ask several questions regarding the position.

A few weeks later I received another email from the same HR representative saying that they wanted to continue interviewing me. However, Amazon failed to call me two more times on agreed upon dates/times. After their third failure to call, I decided I was no longer interested in pursuing a career with Amazon.

Soon after I notified the HR representative that I no longer wished to seek employment with Amazon, she called me and tried to reschedule the interview in the following 10 minutes. I wasn't impressed with Amazon's hiring process or professionalism so I declined on the offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate people?
      Explain a time you dealt with a difficult employee.
      Explain a time that you increased productivity.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Interview

So far so good. Standard questions. In person interview is next week. Phone interview and screening process with recruiter went smoothly. No surprises. Be confident is the best advise I would have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arizona State University, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Arizona State University, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

I met recruiters at a college supply chain career fair. I stopped by because the recruiters were all dressed in jeans and t-shirts instead of suits like all the other companies. I really liked how lax they were. I chatted with them and they asked me to apply. I interviewed with them the very next day on campus and it went great. The interview questions and math problems listed in here were word for word the same things they asked me. The interviewer was VERY friendly and it was more like talking with a buddy than someone interviewing me. This was on Tuesday Sept 16th (I'm writing this on Friday after the interview) and they told me that because they had done so many interviews that I wouldn't hear anything until Friday at the very earliest but I ended up getting an email from them the very next day saying that they were really impressed and that they wanted me to come back for a final interview on Oct 4th. I'm very excited to see how this next interview goes and to see what they offer. One thing they suggested that I read up in before the final interview was Amazon's Customer Obsession. I put that I wasn't given an offer but we'll see after my final interview. I'll update this after my final interview.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time where you had to take leadership of a group of employees or a situation and what was the outcome?   Answer Question