Amazon Area Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

3.2

397 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2014.

Interview

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Strengths
3. Weaknesses
4. Why Amazon?
5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
5. What is your take on leadership?
6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
8. How do you motivate people?
9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
3. How do you deal with stress?
4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
6. Name a time you screwed up
7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   14 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in September 2017.

Interview

First round, online assessment test. Second round, they invite you to go to an onsite interview. Basic behavioral question (two rounds of 45 minutes each) and a case study question.

Interview Questions

• What are the biggest obstacles you have faced in your life?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Speak with current Area Manager and Operations Manager. They omit a lot of information about the job itself so ask specific questions. They make the job look perfect and try to gloss over challenges since they're scrambling to hire anyone.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Amazon responded a month later. I Interviewed in Atlanta, GA 3 weeks later. Amazon sent me an offer letter a week after the interview. The recruiting team is on point. I did not feel neglected like I do with other companies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sea Girt, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Sea Girt, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

Same story as most. I took the on line management test, and was emailed about a month later. They wanted me to come to the local branch for a tour and (3) interviews.

I have 15 + years of management experience, and I can not think of a less organized company to interview with. The first interview was with an HR rep. He was very dismissive of me from the time we shook hands. He just about called me fat. He just rushed over the questions, no eye contact because he was typing answers while I was speaking. I found this the case with all 3 people who I interviewed with. This was just really distracting.
    The second interview was with someone else, who did not really introduce himself. Who was more happy with eating lunch than speaking to me.
    The third was with a woman who talked more about herself than me. Again no eye contact with me.
    They tell you to answer in STAR, but I did not get a chance to, as each of them interrupted me while I was speaking.

If you have not managed over 100 people do not even bother apply for this role. Or just lie, they do not check. I have more experience than the people that have interviewed me. Amazon also preaches much about how diverse they are. If you are a straight, white, male over 40 I would suggest you look elsewhere, because Amazon does not want you. In fear of offending anyone I changed locations and did not interview at the site mentioned above.

Interview Questions

• They like to know that you can think on your feet. If you messed something up, how did you fix it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (San Bernardino, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

There is a pre-loop for internal candidates to see if there ready for the big interview which is called a pod. From there the pod will consist of 3 interview which should be 45mins -1hr. Once this process is over they will contact you whether or not you got the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you didn't have time to use any data but had to use your judgement to get the job done? What was the outcome??   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Lexington-Fayette, KY) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Took a "day in the life of a manager" online assessment. It was very straight forward and did not require any additional thought. They are looking for optimal leadership so answer how the "perfect" leader would respond. Was contacted via email by a recruiter about a month after initial application was submitted. I was invited to an interview day at the fulfillment center. The interview lasted about three hours. Three 45 min interviews and a 45 min tour of the fc. Each interviewer was looking for certain things. The questions centered around Amazons leadership principles so if you studied those and had stories and answers related to them then it makes it easier. Overall the interviewers tried to keep it casual and conversational.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you analyzed data and identified a problem. Then how did you correct the problem?   Answer Question
    • Identify a time you had a disagreement with another manager or your manager and ultimately you had to back down and follow through with what the other manager said.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

Interactive and seamless. Three 45-minute interviews with someone from different departments with very engaging questions. Although I prepared for common questions, the interviewers made me feel at ease so that I breezed through questions I didn't prep for.

Interview Questions

• Why Amazon?   1 Answer
    • How did you handle a situation in which you didn't agree with a decision?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied online through the career website they transported me out to interview site. I had three different interviews they were informative and honest. They provided a tour of the facility and contacted me within 72 hours with a decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had an employee that was not performing tasks to standard?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Ventura, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and waited several months for an reply. Overall pleasant experience. Flew me out to interview and was treated nicely. The interviewers were very nice and helped create a positive experience. They focus a lot on the STAR method and like to hear numbers. Overall interview time was a little less than 2 hours.