Amazon Area Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Scottsdale, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

applied on amazon career website, heard back within a few days to finish an online operations-related math questions along with personality test, and heard back after a couple weeks for an on-site final interview. I was surprised at first because it seemed like everyone on this website had to go through a long process of multiple phone interviews to get to the final interview.

Then, I was flown out to Scottsdale, AZ (plane ticket was given, and other transportation + food expenses that I had to spend during my stay were reimbursed. keep all your receipts!)
It was a tiring plane ride because I was supposed to fly out to AZ the night before the interview, but there was a problem with American Airlines and I was declined boarding. I had to wait in the hotel until the next morning to get on the flight, and got to the hotel 3 hours before the interview.

The interview itself was VERY difficult. People I interviewed with were all MBA students with multiple work experiences, and I was only an undergrad senior.
I had two different 45 minute interviews. One asked behavior questions like "tell me about a time when..." and the other one asked long and specific case question, like "you're an area manager in a facility with 100 workers, you face blah blah VERY SPECIFIC operations-related problems. How would you deal with it? What would you say to this person and what would say to the other person?"
Basically, the case question was very behavior; just asked what I would do if I were them. but again, I was an undergrad senior, had absolutely no experience dealing with large number of people in a professional manner, and I did not expect it because I couldn't find "case questions" in any of glassdoor reviews. Maybe I just missed it.
Honestly, I think it would have been a breeze for people with prior operations experience. but for an undergrad business student who only has some internship experiences, it was difficult.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time when...   Answer Question
  • you're an area manager in a facility with 100 workers, you face blah blah VERY SPECIFIC operations-related problems. How would you deal with it? What would you say to this person and what would say to the other person?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Submitted online application. Got a follow up screen phone call, followed by 45-minute phone interview. After successful math problem over the phone, I decided to not take them up on the offer for the F2F

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2015.

Interview

I must say I was impressed. The process was extensive but Amazon wants the best of the best. It was as described; phone interview which included a math flow question and 3 behavioral questions. It was a 45 minute process. My interview was late in the evening. I was emailed by the recruiter about the next steps the very next day. They scheduled the (hopefully) final interview in a different city. It started with a tour of the fulfillment center, then there was a math flow question, for which we were given 15 minutes. This was followed by 4 different interviews; it is random and you might not answer the math flow question to start with. Don't get scared by the math question, take a deep breath and read it once or twice. I did that and was able to correctly answer it in less than 7 minutes. The person that talked about the math flow question with me was the one that talked to me about the case study. Then I was walked to a senior operations manager for a second interview. My 3rd interview was with HR, and then my final one was with the site leader. They pretty much ask about 3-4 behavioral questions which could all be the same. I had a great experience. Don't get me wrong, the interview was pretty difficult, but Amazon team was very very professional. I know not everyone has the same experience, but mine was wonderful. Make sure that you read up on their interview method and the 14 leadership values.

Interview Questions

• Why Amazon?, Tell me about a time you failed to finish a project, tell me about a time when you had to finish a project, tell me about a time you helped your direct report with their ideas, tell me about a time when you had to convince your direct report to finish a project that didn't belong to you, tell me about someone you helped develop in a given role (i think that's pretty much it). Follow the STAR method and you will be fine. The math flow question was complicated. It was one of the stream to two departments question. I signed the NDA so I will not be able to elaborate on it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

I was flown to interview and touched down at 4pm the afternoon before. The whole travel ordeal was rather stressful. Getting to rental car area and driving an hour to the hotel only to have to make it to the facility at 700am the next morning. 8 other candidates were there flown in as well and they said we weren't competing against one another, but we were... awkward! We waited about a half hour to be greeted by our facility tour guide. Then checking in was a 15 minute process. We were given a 1 hour tour of the facility. The main reason we were there, to interview, was not long at all. They said the process would be 4, 45 minute interviews, but no one's seemed to be more than 35-40minutes. The process was very rushed, hurried, and impersonal. You had to re-establish yourself with each interviewer leaving each of them to ask you only 2 questions. Be prepared to be interrupted in mid sentence. One interviewer said "be more specific"...I guess he wanted the actual name of the individual I was referring to... not sure of the relevancy or value add in that. My thought was he only wanted to interrupt me. I guess that is a high IQ tactic I hadn't learned. One interviewer had only been employed with Amazon for 4 months and she seemed miffed when I asked her about her Amazon experience at the end of the interview when she asked, "do you have any questions for me?". Amazon is a successful company, but 3 of the 4 interviewers went out of their was to attempt to intimidate, by either interrupting or giving cold stares. They like to ask canned behavioral questions about leading groups of people and they like to hire young students strait out of college... so basically they like people to lie to them. What 23 year old has several various scenarios of leading a team of people!? If working 13-14 hour shifts and working them 6 days a week Oct-Dec is what your looking for, then this is your gig. Hope you don't own a home because that's a black eye in the Amazon world.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you were leading a team of people and dealing with two separate issues only to realize they had the same underlying cause? What!? That was real question!!   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

first was a phone interview where they ask you basic interview questions at the end of the interview they will have you do a basic math problem, make sure you do well on the problem. If you do well on the phone interview they will bring you to a different location where you will again do a work flow math problem, then you will do around 5 interviews focusing on amazon leadership principles.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a employee who showed up late?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

They have a very thorough interview process to make sure they have a good fit with those they offer jobs. There is typically a tour of the fulfillment center, a math question, and multiple back to back interviews.

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2014.

Interview

So they fly you out to a fulfillment center after doing a phone interview. You are taken on a 45 minute tour of the facility. Then you through 4 interviews which consist of behavior or situation questions. There is a math flow problem you do before the interviews and then your work and results are to be explained to the interviewee which is an operations mgr. Two interviews are given by operation managers, one HR mgr., and the other by an area mgr.

Math Flow (Exact Question):

You have an upstream picking department that feeds two downstream packing departments: pack singles and pack multis. Those packing departments feed to a shipping department that loads the outgoing trucks.

30% of your pick volume goes to pack singles and has a packing rate of 171 units per labor hour (uph). 70% of the pick volume goes to pack multis and has a pack rate of 266 units per labor hour.

Your pickers pick both single and multis items throughout the day at an overall average rate of 114 units per labor hour. All units that are packed in both processes go through the ship process at a rate of 570 units per hour.

You have 102 people today for all 4 departments and you have to pack 47,780 units in pack multis items to meet customer promise metric.

How do you allocate labor to balance the flow in your department if you work a 10 hour shift? No breaks or lunches.

Fill out table: Answers included

Department % of volume Rate (uph) People Daily Volume
    Pick 100% 114 60 47,880
    Pack Singles 30% 171 12 20,520
    Pack Multis 70% 266 18 47,880
    Ship 100% 570 12 x

Interview Questions

The pay wasn't very good, location choice was horrible, you can't take a vacation or practically see your family november through january because of peak season. Would $45,000 a year sound good for a very fast pace environment with lots of tasks including lots of overtime november through december with no difference in pay for overtime.

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2013.

Interview

Initially conducted a telephone interview with a recruiter. After the initial interview I was referred to the Operations Manager team and invited to attend a hiring event. Before I attended the interview I had to provided a written paper for one of two questions provided. The interview process was with four seperate people for 45 minutes each. One of the interviewers was an HR person while the others were Operations Managers. The first interviewer asked me to introduce myself and provided a synopsis of the writing assignment. There was also a math flow question which I was concerned about but they are not worried about the answer as much as they want to see your problem solving skills. The remaining interviewers asked standard behavioral questions. Overall I would say the interview was in a very relaxing setting.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer asked me about my resume, well a specific bullet on my resume. Other than that there were no real hard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received a phone call first stating I did well during the interview and they were inclided to hire me. The offer did not come right away but that was because of my desired location. The actual offer was emailed to me and I had 10 days to accept of decline. I can say the offer was generous and it was easy for me to accept.

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2011.

Interview

Don't pay any attention to the negative reviews of Amazon's interview process. The phone interview went off without a hitch; basic leadership type behavioral questions. Within two days I was notified that they would fly me out to Allentown, PA for another round of face to face interviews. The math problem and case studies came in an email shortly after that. The point of contact for this process was locked on and professional. The flight and hotel and rental car were all taken care of. When you get to the interview location you will be put into a small group with a minder to escort you around and get you where you need to go. The interviews were three 1:1 interviews and then the math/case studies discussion with senior management types who came out specifically for this event. None of them were combative or grumpy. I estimate that about 200 candidates went through the process, spread out over three days. The Talent Acquisition personnel were very helpful and gave out lots of pointers on how to do well in the interviews. They were very clear that we were not competing against each other for one job. They have hundreds of openings and they are looking for solid leadership skills that make for a good fit within their corporate culture. Each interviewer had a competency to focus on. Figure out what that is (it will be obvious, in fact he or she will probably tell you what it is) and then bend all your answers to that topic. They tell you several times during the process to bring up numbers and quantified success.The math flow and case studies are more conversational in nature. And when they say 'show your work' they mean they want to see the actual full-out equation that gets the numbers you talk about. After you go through that the curveballs start and you just describe how you would adjust. It was the portion of the process that I feared the most and it turned out to be my favorite part. There was no problem with my return flight and the offer came in the next week. I accepted.

Area Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2011.

Interview

1st off I have to present 4 case studies prior to the interview
    2nd a word math problem
    3rd you will have to present them in your interviews
    4th three separate interviews with two people each.
    5th people were nice and they all seemed to love what they do.
    6th do your research I was over prepared but it worked to my advantage I got an offer
    7th know your worth. Highly encourage you negotiate your salary

Interview Questions

• How much does revenue does my favorite team earn   1 Answer
    • What do you like about Amazon would change and how   1 Answer

Negotiation

Do your research