Amazon Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2017

3.1

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

Like most people have already said, the Amazon hiring process is painful. I felt more like a ticket number than an actual candidate. Applied through employee referral in January, had a phone interview in February, then was finally notified I got a final round in March after I followed up with my interviewer/recruiter 4 times. Eventually, I just cancelled my final round because I got a better job offer and was tired of their unorganized process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your most proud accomplishment?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

step 1: 45 minute first round interview, basic interview questions, "tell me about a time you did..." etc.
    Step 2: back to back 30 minute interviews, one with a business analyst (great opportunity for job specific questions), one with HR for logistics of internship- both behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you found a simple solution to a complex problem   1 Answer
    • tell me about a time you had to work with a difficult person and how you managed that   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

45 minute phone interview (final round) because I had already interned here before. Mostly behavioral questions and 2 case questions. No questions about SQL knowledge, 1 question about Excel knowledge.

Interview Questions

• What was a time where you had to make a decision with incomplete information? How did you make it/what was the outcome   1 Answer
    • Describe a time where you thought you would miss a deadline.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

This process wasn't brief. It started with a recruiter that steered me to a position below my qualifications, continued with four phone interviews and concluded with being flown to Seattle during a holiday week where you're given six rapid fire interviews, with a guided lunch, over 3/4ths of a day.

This transpired over two months, and ended with me being used as a benchmark to compare against internal candidates, one of whom was ultimately offered the position in question.

Some things that are worth noting:

While the recruiters are friendly and welcoming, don't expect your interviewers to be. One of the interviewers had nothing to do with the position in question and appeared to be there because his presence was compulsory. Two of them clearly had an agenda that involved ensuring another candidate was given the position, one of whom bordered on being outright rude.

None of the interviewers had more than three years of experience at Amazon, and only one had hands on experience with the application in question. While the phone interviews will be fairly informal, the in person interviews will be strictly scripted and leave you, as the candidate, relatively little room to address the fundamental question of how you can benefit the organization. You are answering largely tersely asked boilerplate questions about experience, so be prepared to respond accordingly.

Finally, you get a feel for how much people enjoy their positions based on their body language, tone/tenor and their ability to ask you actual day to day questions about challenges they face in their position; these types of conversations happened only once in the six interviews I experienced.

You will most likely be dealing with multiple recruiters over the course of the process, and that makes it difficult to have a serious discussion about compensation/relocation etc. All in all, the process is cumbersome, disorienting and disheartening and involves probably four more people than necessary, even for a company that size.

Interview Questions

• Name the most challenging/disheartening element of a prior position, and how you overcame it.   2 Answers

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Amazon in December 2016.

Interview

In person with two hiring manager and adjunct manager. Simple technical questions, one coding whiteboard exercise a couple of situational questions and that was pretty much it Asked about experiences that would be relevant to the role and whether you think you can perform up to expectations

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through employee referral. Total process took about 8 weeks.

2 weeks after referral I received an email requesting information such as current & desired salary, whether or not I required visa sponsorship etc.

3 weeks later phone screen took place.

2 weeks after that onsite interviews took place.

1 week after that I received the offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Amazon Leadership Principles
      2. Past experience
      3. Lots of business cases
      4. Basic stats (significance testing, experimental design)
      5. SQL & R
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

The recruiter didn't call me until the day before my interview. She told me that the role I'd applied to had been filled, so instead I would be interviewing with two additional teams.

The day after my interview, she reached out with an offer from one of those teams and we exchanged emails a few times after. But then she completely dropped off the face of the earth! Most unprofessional interview process I've ever experienced.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very amazon. Asked about a time I innovated a process, time I used customer feedback, time I used limited budget/resources and outperformed.
    Study the 14 leadership principles, they definitely want you to be able to relay your work experience to them.
    It's all about efficiency and work ethic and the questions are geared to find candidates who fit that.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you used customer feedback to change the way you worked?
      Talk about a time you went beyond expectations.
      Do you have experience with SQL?
      Talk about a time you had to manage a budget. Were you able to get ore out of less?
      Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Some guy spoke unintelligibly and cut it short after I could not answer two SQL trick questions. They must have a million people applying. It is much easier to just start your own company or cure cancer.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online at Amazon.com. Got contacted for an interview about a month later. Started with a phone screen with who would be my manager. After about a week I was contacted to do a 2nd phone screen with the next higher-up manager. After some time, I was contacted for an on-site interview loop in downtown Seattle. It was almost an entire full day of interviews (with a lunch break).

The interviews were generally very relaxed. I was asked general questions about my abilities, why I want to work at Amazon and related behavioral questions.
    Definitely know the Leadership Principals and tie them in to every answer if possible! Amazon lives and dies by those principals.
    Finally I met with HR after about 6 or so interviews, and they explained the benefits and reviewed my salary expectations and explained when I would hear back regarding their decisions.
    It appears that Amazon doesn't interview multiple candidates and compares them - they interview a single candidate at at time for a position, and then decide yes or no - then move on to the next one.

Interview Questions

• How do you decide what takes priority if you have 3 important tasks that need to be done?   Answer Question