Amazon Customer Service Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Customer Service Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.5

Customer Service Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Bar Raiser required me to write an essay about "Why I would be a good fit at Amazon" and turn it in as homework. You could take a person who was a pizza delivery guy in his last job, but if he was hired at Amazon before you, then he thinks he is your superior.

Interview Questions

• There is an interview book of situational behavior questions that are tied to leadership principles. Pretty generic "Tell me about a time where" stuff.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Winchester, KY) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and then received an email that I was accepted for an online interview. Basic questions, with one math question thrown in there as well. Then, I got an email saying I got accepted for an in person email. They flew me out to Kentucky and got me a hotel and rent-a-car. There were 5 , 45 minute interviews (some one-on-one and some two-on-one) and there was a math question in the beginning as well. Overall a great experience. I didn't get the CSM position but I actually got offered a different position after they sent me the email that I didn't get the CSM .... but unfortunately I had to turn it down in the end. Interview questions are hard but also fun so just prepare and relax and you'll be fine!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlestown, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Charlestown, IN) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview first, followed by a video conference interview. If I had gotten past that, I would have had a face to face interview but I did not get the third interview.

Interview Questions

• What does it mean to you to be a leader.   1 Answer

Customer Service Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Let me start by saying this was one of the more tedious interviews I've been to.

Step 1: Email from recruiter asking whether I'd be willing to relocate, when I could start, etc.

Step 2: Online questionnaire that included 3-4 recorded answers (situational questions and one open ended question), as well as a couple of logistical questions again (start date etc). There was also a tricky math problem too. **Take this step seriously, my friend got rejected from this step, so they definitely take the online screening seriously.**

Step 3: Onsite interview. This is probably one of the more boring, tedious, long winded interviews I've attended. Amazon pay for everything including flights, hotel, rental car, and meal reimbursements. The interview consists of 5, 45 minute interviews as well as a 15 minute facility tour. The interviews are a little intense and somewhat awkward at times. Each interviewer really has a different personality and this seemed to dictate how that particular session would go. 2 out of the 5 were very friendly and open conversations, 1 of them was a pair of people interviewing me and they kept asking situational questions and what I learned. 1 of the sessions, the amazon manager just straight up read off his question sheet with no personality himself and long periods of silence. The last interview was with a different manager who was very full of himself and I could tell from the beginning he'd be cocky especially in his accepting of my responses. Oh, and the math problem they give you as an example ok the welcome packet, practice that one because the interview math problem is similar.

Prepare for the onsite interview very thoroughly. Being such a long, tedious interview, they will definitely dig a little deeper than your initial response to a question.

Anonymous Employee in Winchester, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Winchester, KY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the company's career website. Two days later, I completed an interview via HireVue (mobile application). Next business day, I was invited to participate in on-site interviews. I set up my flight arrangements that night with the company (which was extremely accommodating to my scheduling needs and preferences) and that night received a very helpful packet of interview prep materials (including those persons interviewing me, an example of a math question, etc). The company flew me out three days later to the site, where we had a mingling event for about two hours at the facility with other candidates and about 20 Amazon employees from all over the world. Next day was the interview (five consecutive 45-minute interviews with 1-2 interviewers per slot). With the exception of one case study and one math flow question, the interview was entirely behavioral.

This was by far the most exhausting interview experience I have had, but if it is any insight into the company and its values, I am so excited to start. I felt so heard throughout this entire process - when asked a question, interviewers responded and sometimes even challenged me, rather than just moving on to the next question. The emphasis on a casual dress code made for a comfortable environment - I felt liberated to express myself through style.

If you're looking for advice:

- When preparing for this kind of behavioral interview, understand and be able to articulate WHY you made a decision. You will be asked.

- Don't worry about memorizing the leadership principles word-for-word. Knowing all of them (14) will certainly benefit you in terms of constructing your answers with the language, but never was I asked to list them all. At my interview, I had them all listed in my notes and had a scenario or two for each. If you are invested in learning about this company, read about the principles not for means of impressing, but to find out if you connect with Amazon's way of practice.

- When they say casual, they freaking mean it. Do you and have fun with it.

- If going in for a group interview, tell yourself that you and all of the other candidates were all already hired and are now coworkers. Operating with this mentality will make you stand out because you will be a more relaxed, confident, and collaborative version of yourself. Candidates who played nice the entire mingling event stood out like a sore thumb and seemed disingenuous.

- Be courageous when asking questions. This demonstrates your level of thinking. which is what they are looking for. They are not just interviewing you, you're interviewing them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed. How would you do things differently?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you came up with a creative solution to a complex problem. What made the problem complex?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you got someone to do something they initially did not want to do.   1 Answer
    • Which leadership principle do you resonate with most?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a supervisor. How did you handle it? If you didn't speak up, why not?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Within a couple days they responded to my application. The first step was to complete a video interview. They don't give you much time to prepare for the process. I was given 48 hours, which is a short period of time, to submit the video interview. Answering in the STAR format is important to them.

Customer Service Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn, which was followed by a phone screening. I then moved on to a video conference with a hiring manager. From that point I flew to an onsite location for the in-person interview (about 6 hours) with various people. The Amazon recruiting team was very supportive (I was impressed) and aided in my preparation; they reinforced using the STAR method of answering interview questions. Although, an offer was not presented, my experience interviewing with the company was good. Don't read too much into the NYT article; I'm sure there are areas that are tougher than others, but to have Amazon on your resume is probably worth that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you failed to meet expectations?
      Describe how you developed your associates?
      Tell me about a situation where you had to convince others of a process change?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website for the Customer Service Manager position. I got an email saying my qualifications matched the requirements and I would get an online interview via hirevue if I answered four questions. The questions were when I was graduating, whether I would relocate, whether I would work any shift needed and whether I would work overtime if needed.

I answered quickly and got an email shortly after, that evening, saying I had 24 hours to complete an automated online interview. I did the interview the next morning.

I got all dressed up and recorded my interview answers on a webcam. There were several interview questions. The first few were the questions I already answered about relocating and working all shifts and overtime. Then they asked several more open-ended question to which I had to record a response on my webcam. They gave me a few minutes for each response, and allowed one retake for each. There was also a question requiring a typed in response.

The process was quick and easy- although I didn't get past the initial automated webcam interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you failed and how did you overcome it.
    • Question about dividing tasks

(Typed response.)
      Answer Question
    • Are there any more reasons you want to work for Amazon that we don't know?

Customer Service Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

phone call after initial contact with recruiter. basic behavioral questions. was told some one will get back to me in 2 days. had to keep calling to get what the next process was

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Louisville, KY) in May 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for this position which started with a phone interview which consist of basis behavioral type questions. If you pass this phase you move on to the Skype type of interview with the same behavioral questions from a different manager. The next step is the onsite interview. The company makes all the arrangement. This interview is pretty intense and last about Four hours.