Amazon Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 6, 2017

3.2

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Interview

general recruiter reached out via email with a position I didn't apply for, scheduled a one hour phone interview with hiring manager, hiring manager is new to the position and is looking to build a team, next step will be made in 3 days.

Interview Questions

• how did you analyze data?
    Who uses your data analysis results?
    how large is the data set you work with?
    sql question one: the first table is customer purchase table, with five columns, customer id, purchase date, product id, unit price, unit purchased, write queries to retrieve data with unique customer id that made over $100 purchase in the past seven days.
    sql question two: a second table is the customer details table, with two columns, customer id, registration date, write queries to retrieve data with unique customer id that made over $100 purchase who registered in the past ten days.
    probability question: what is the probability of generating ten consecutive numbers in ascending order out of 100 numbers? this is a random number generation question.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

There were only 2 members in the interview panel and It was friendly interview . One asked all technical interview questions , while other was asking Behavior and logical questions.

Interview Questions

• 1.Basic SQL questions (eg: Difference between having and where)
      2.analytic function based questions
      3.Asked to write few query on white board
      4.Behavior type questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2015.

Interview

They follow the STAR review process. Situation, Task, Action, Result. Come up with stories that follow that format based on their leadership principles. For data analyst it was Deep Dive and then Disagree, Have Backbone and Commit. Though always expect a Customer Obsession one. For this they also did a basic excel test, but that is specific for Data Analysts and maybe a few other roles

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you disagreed with a manager and how you handled the situation? What was the result?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Tracy, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

First you take the math problem. after about 15 minutes, you play a scenario with the operation manager. and after that both HR and operation manager ask behavioral questions. questions like "tell me a time when you wanted to accomplish some task but you failed. tell me a time where you actually changed something in your department, tell me a time when you motivated a person/team"

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2013.

Interview

Went through the initial 45 mins of phone screening. Although most questions asked were pretty general and high level, I was not selected to move to the next round interview. The HR was very professional and addressed all the details for the meeting preparation.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

2 round phone interviews before onsite. 1st phone interview hold by hiring manager, asked briefly about my background, sth on my resume, and some project experiences. Then followed by 4 cases. In a case, manager asked me to design tests, build variables, and choose models to evaluate an ads. Another case is about how to compare two ads, a lot of details about statistical modeling. 3rd case is to evaluate the distribution of the sales of a shampoo. Finally, I did a programming question. I wrote some codes our shared screen. That's a SQL inquiry problem, but I did it with R. Amazon was really efficient, the next day, I got the notification for the 2nd round phone interview, an engineer interviewed me a week later. It was all about probability problems and calculus, but really tough. I also did some programming in R. I didn't get the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• How to design a test to compare the effectiveness of two commercials.   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Got a call directly from HR without any pre-notice. Set up a phone interview with a manager in the next day. During the interview, she asked a lot about my intern pojects at Adobe, although I told her I can't talk too much about it. Later asked on simple coding problem and some behavior questions. Come on! who would ask behavior questions duing phone interview. Got the result today. I have some kind of bad feeling that she is really interested in hiring me or just want to get information about what other companies are doing. Thinking of turning down amazon interviews in the future...

Interview Questions

• behavior questions like how do you deal with deadlines, how do you make decision without many information available   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

phone interview.. asked me about background and easy technical questions.. excel sql skills. asked about warehouse management system and how to evaluate it. Behavioural questions that ask you to describe a time in your own history when you dealt with a certain situation, and to explain how you dealt with it.

Interview Questions

• how do you make sales forecasting?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2016.

Interview

Initial chat with resourcing then two long telephone interviews with heads of the team. The process was a bit cold and felt like it was very difficult to bond with the interviewers. They are very technical and love the work and didn't appear to be too eager to bond. All conversation was about methodology and the choices you made. There wasn't much room for personality to show.

Interview Questions

• Each telephone interview was a very probing example led interview where they ask for a time where you had to do x or showed y or how you made a mistake etc and then every other question delved into lots of minutiae around your initial answer   2 Answers

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Extremely long and drawn out recruitment process - over four months from start to finish, with delays at every stage. First contact was for an online skills assessment, followed about a month later by a phone screen. About three weeks after the phone screen, I had a second phone interview with a project manager. Then about three weeks later I was asked to attend a full day of interviews on site - the majority of which were actually held by Video Conference.

Interview Questions

• All questions were very centred on the STAR method - and ranged from incredibly detailed ("tell me about the difference between a left join and a right join in SQL") to the very broad ("tell me about a time when you encountered a challenging situation").   Answer Question