Amazon Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Nov 27, 2017

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

First interviewer cancelled interview 15 mins AFTER the original scheduled time. Pushed to next week, but the job description is gone. HR called to explain saying that I need to get rematch to a different team if I pass the interviews.
Second interviewer asked some basic machine learning questions without going deep into anything. Then ask me a very ambiguous question about how to predict products that can be sold next month. Then coding question.

Interview Questions

• Coding: Given a bar plot and imagine you are pouring water from the top, how to qualify how much water can be kept in the bar chart.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

fist round general interview with hr, second round with a member in the team, live coding, I was asked some coding questions in data structure and algorithms, and some deep learning question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

3 SQL questions + statistics questions + machine learning questions. Questions about my job: explain with details about my work -what, how and why. First part: gave me 3 sql questions to solve, two were easy and one was more difficult (around 5-7 minutes to solve each). Second part: Ask me a lot of things about my current job (details: what, how and why I did), statistics and machine learning questions. Gave me some case-scenarios and ask me tech questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. Cumulative sum of top 10 most profitable products of the last 6 month for customers in Seattle.
      2. Assumptions about logistic and linear regression
      3. Explain colinearity
      4. Step by Step of a machine learning algorithms   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

2 phone interviews and 1 onsite interview and the onsite interview includes 5 small interviews with different people. Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screen of 45 minutes going over your resume / background. Describe the company and the team and asked you to complete 3 coding assignments using languages of your choosing during the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Onsite interview in the Alexa team's Boston office. Each interview is held by 2 persons: the manager and the less senior person. They are really nice and patient in asking questions. Half of the content is about the Amazon's leadership principle questions, and the other half about basic concepts in stats, data modeling and coding. It was more like a technical conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you did not agree with your advisor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Telephone, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Made contact with HR, several days later had telephone technical interview. They were clearly wanting a Software Engineer instead of a Data Scientist since my interviewer knew very little about Statistics or data science and only asked me CS questions. My interviewer also spent about 10 minutes discussing politics, which made me very uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• Write a Python function that displays the first n Fibonacci numbers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted about setting up technical interview regarding data science modeling. Recruiter stated collabedit would be used for the interview, however it was not. The interviewer asked a few questions about my background, then a few case questions related to time series modeling. It was of average difficultly and overall I thought everything went fine, however I was not invited for a second interview so I must have made more mistakes than I realized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

A recruiter saw my resume on Linkedin and they contact me. They sent over SQL and Probability Assessment Test to complete . The recruiter told me they won't ask me questions on SQL and Probability if you complete the assessment Test. When the interview process started I told the interviewer that I completed the Assessment Test so am not expecting any questions from SQL and Probability. Unfortunately the interviewer did not listen and the entire interview questions was on SQL and Probability. No questions on Data Science which I prepared for. I was very disappointed in the process. After 48 hours the recruiter sent an email saying they even though I did well in the interview they decided to proceed with other candidates. I could have even spent all my time on SQL and Probability if I knew thats what they were going to do, I smell something bad with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• They asked probability question:

1) The probability that item an item at location A is 0.6 , and 0.8 at location B. What is the probability that item would be found on Amazon website.

2). I have table 1, with 1million records, with ID, AGE (column names) , Table 2 with 100 records with ID and Salary then the interviewer gave me the following SQL script
      SELECT A.ID,A.AGE,B.SALARY
      FROM TABLE 1 A
      LEFT JOIN
      TABLE 2 B
      ON A.ID = B.ID
      WHERE B.SALARY > 50000 ( HE ASKED TO MODIFY THIS LINE OF QUERY)

How many records would be returned?

3. Give a csv file with ID, and Quantity columns, 50million records and size of data is 2gig, write a program in any language of your choice to aggregate the QUANTITY column.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn, and set up a technical interview with a hire manager. The entire process is good, HM looks nice. Asked about some project experience in my resume, you need to prepare more details for your project experience. Then, he asked me some technique questions about how to general monthly report.

Interview Questions

• When you have a time series data by monthly, it has large data records, how will you find out significant difference between this month and previous month   2 Answers