Amazon Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2017

3.4

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

1-2 Phone interviews. Then 2-4 page written exercise. Then 8 hours of on-site interviews with 8 different people that feels like interrogation.
A grueling non-stop process with “tell me a time when” (listed below) behavioral questions. Each person types notes to record every response you make to questions. They ask for career examples, details and data many years in past career. Literally No time to get a drink of water entire interview day, not one of the people with whom I met even offered water or chance to grab it. One 15 minute mid day bathroom break (only time to check your phone & messages). Even during lunch you will constantly be answering “tell me a time when” questions so you can hardly breathe/eat/swallow. Overall It’s unpleasant and impersonal interrogation like experience. No one ever asks anything remotely about you personally nor offers any inducement at all as to why it’s a great place to work. It feels massively arrogant, big brother, one-sided, robotic, curiously harsh and impersonal. They compare typed notes & vote on you after you leave (which is also curiously opposite Amazon core principles -do not compromise for social cohesion!?!?). Its demoralizing.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The setup for the interview was unnecessarily complicated with the "coordinator" and was eventually completed. However no one showed up from Amazon for the interview - waited for the full time and no one. That "coordinator" never responded to my emails but a different one did try setting up another interview. This time the wrong people showed up for it and were interviewing for a completely different non-engineering role (I am an engineering director).

I did try to go around their army of recruiters and went directly to the hiring Sr Director, which went well except that their process required me to roll back around through recruiting where it was all mucked up again.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected difficulty was the recruiter.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

I had one phone screen, with a man who seemed junior to myself in terms of breadth and (arguably) depth of experience.

He kept asking if I had questions, but was "unable" to answer any them. Specifically, he said there wasn't a particular role that I was interviewing for. What? So what kinds of questions am I supposed to ask? I did ask about the particulars of the technology used by his team, some pretty technical details which he declined to answer, presumably because their solution is proprietary. That didn't leave much room for questioning.

He didn't ask me anything that I couldn't answer, yet advised the recruiters that I wasn't the right fit. I am mystified why I didn't at least get invited for an in-person interview. Gender? Age? Squeaky voice? I think I said "BS" at one point. Who knows, I have no idea. It was weird. He was polite and professional, but seemed quite junior compared to my experience level.

Interview Questions

• He asked me to describe in detail one technology that I had in-depth knowledge of and solved in the past year.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

8 one hour interviews in one day. Questions generally based on 14 principles. The people are proud of their intensity but keep things pretty close to the chest. Some interviewers actively try to push you off balance.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Fair and comprehensive. I really got to know the company and people and they got to know me. While it was a long day, I felt it was appropriate and necessary to understand the company and people and for them to get a complete picture of myself.

Interview Questions

• They are focused on you ability to think and make decisions as well as work in a dynamic, fast paced environment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Went through three rounds of phone interviews and then two days for onsite interviews. Onsite interviews were back to back for an hour each all day. They seemed to not like that I asked about culture and cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• In your past, who is one person you have hired that you wish you had not and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Was referred to a recruiter at amazon web services for a director position, submitted resume and conducted a phone screen. The recruiter asked me very general questions about my experience and background and was screening candidates. I believe my resume and background got me the phone interview but they were looking for specific experience and expertise. Once it was determined I did not meet the requirements of the position I was eliminated from consideration. Sometime after this interview the New York Times published their review of what is like to work at Amazon and their focus on ability to fit into Amazon culture

Interview Questions

• I was asked very generic questions about my experience and background and felt I was being screened for fit into amazon culture   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

Very professional process. Top notch recruiter and interview cycle. Everything scheduled quickly and the process kept moving. Amazon has a tough reputation as a place to work, but there is a passion and transparency that works. If you're not prepared for that, watch out though! Absolutely everyone I met was top notch and I wouldn't hesitate to apply again or recommend to others.

Interview Questions

• None really. Lots of behavioral interviewing structured around their leadership principles.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in May 2014.

Interview

Grueling interview process, with an interview for fit at the company, and then several around aspects of the job they're hiring for. All of the interviewers were very pleasant and intelligent people, and I learned a lot about the company. One thing that come across very clearly was that you'll work a lot of hours. When I had the chance to ask the interviewer about work/life balance he told me he worked 12 hours a day because the company was changing the world (he also said he rarely had to work 12 hours a day on the weekend days). He seemed sad when he said it, like he didn't even believe it, but was programmed to say it. 12 hours 7 days a week, wow, that's not the way to entice most people, but I was grateful at his honesty, at least with what was expected. After that interview I probably should have politely excused myself, because I knew it wasn't for me, and I wouldn't be a fit for them, nor would they be a fit for me. I'd just say to learn as much as you can about the company beforehand and talk to current employees because you'll need to understand what is expected of you.

Interview Questions

• What was a key failure in your career and how did you bounce back from it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

Interview process involved 4 phone screens and then a flight to Seattle for an 8 hour interview session. The interview process included several 1 on 1 interviews with all levels of management and then several technical deep dives.

Questions were very focused on the 14 principles and each interview was very very redundant with each taking detailed notes during the interview. For a company like Amazon, you would think they could coordinate who would ask which question. Also, the interview process was too long. Much of what could be accomplished could have occurred in 4 hours.

Interview Questions

The Seattle facility was poorly laid out. Job was very very restrictive in scope and did not lend to growth.