Amazon Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Dec 6, 2016

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Passed the phone interview and got the onsite one . it was really a surprise that for a technical position , the 5 hours onsite interviews were focused mainly on behavior questions and project management . Looks like Amazon does not really care the technical background and level .

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hicksville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Hicksville, NY).

Interview

Overnight trip to large regional office. Met just one senior guy there in person; he was my host but not directly involved in the hiring decision. Three other one-hour video meetings with one or two other people each.

First was a sales & tech teamed pair, then a newly appointed leader for a new local-presence business unit who was also former team leader for the previous two guys. Finally, a standard engineering manager type.

Everyone had a prepared list of questions that must be asked. As long as the mandatory questions were covered, the conversation could evolve as needed. There were a few questions of the "tell me a time when" genre,

The eng manager was different, he kept asking me "and then what did you do, and then what did you do", maybe a dozen times. Not sure what he was after.

Interview Questions

• Prepare a brief presentation describing how AWS could benefit my present company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied on-line. Had one phone interview with a hiring manager and an on-site interview with the entire team.

This was the worst interview experience. Several hours of interviewing with different people asking the same questions…. As far as the questions go, be prepared to provide a lot of example for various scenarios (tell me about situation when….). The interview was emotionally draining. After a couple of hours there, I got tired of hearing how ‘special’ Amazon is. I understand (and expect) people to be proud of a company they are working for, but here it was the atmosphere of superiority and arrogance. The last drop was when during the interview with a hiring manager (after about 10 minutes talking) the manager announced with an arrogant confidence that she was ‘Type A” personality and I am “Type B’ personality… I found this rather unprofessional on the manager’s side to make such conclusions. The manager proceeded to say that from technical knowledge and experience perspective, I was a perfect fit, but she was not sure about personality (apparently they do not like perfectionists – if you want to deliver 100% quality work, you are a wrong person for the job).

While my last interviewer was walking me out of the office, I ran into the hiring manager again. She asked my last interviewer a few questions, completely ignoring my presence, and then walked away without saying any plain courtesy words (such as ‘goodbye’…..). I thought that was rather rude.

I walked out from the interview half dead and exhausted. I have to agree with that hiring manager, my personality is certainly a wrong fit for the company and in this case, I was sure it was a good thing.
    I felt rather relieved when I received a cold, general no thank you e-mail from HR……saying that they will keep my resume on file for a year…

I have to say that I applied for the position with Amazon because I admired the company so much. After this interview experience, I have the same opinion of Amazon as I do about Wal-Mart – I shop there because it is convenient and cheap, but I really despise the company.

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

It was a relatively long process, with several interviews ranging from forty minutes to three hours. Asked standard interview questions and to do some problem sets. The whole process is very scripted.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

After applying, I first had a phone interview with one of the recruiters. A couple of weeks later, I was told I would be coming in for the second round of interviews. The second round took about 5 hours, and each time I met with someone different- the hiring manager, senior engineers, etc. It was not very stressful, and fairly casual (they asked me not to wear a suit, for example).

Interview Questions

• I was asked to whiteboard a complex solution to a customer problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Richmond, VA) in March 2012.

Interview

The questions in the interview are algorithm design and coding.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

The process was smooth and I talked with some excellent people. I didn't prepare in advance and I think that helped, as all my responses were genuine.

Interview Questions

• How would you design x system. Now imagine you need to scale that 1000x   Answer Question

Concerned about work/life balance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

The phone interview was very pleasant and open ended. Was also tested on my skills, so have pen and paper ready to answer technical questions if asked. I was able to ask questions of the interviewer at the end, so have those in place, and the interviewer was very responsive. I am awaiting to hear the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Have you proposed an idea to your company that would save the company time and money? How was it received?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

i got a mail to show up 1 week before the interview. it was a 45min interview. i passed the first one and was scheduled for 3 more 1:1 interviews the following day. at the last interview i was told tat my decision would be conveyed to me in a week. they took 2 weeks though and rejected me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Applied online and got a phone interview.