Amazon Executive Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Executive Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I submitted my resume directly to a job requisition, and was contacted by the temp agency who was charged with hiring for that position. After a phone screen by the agency, I had a phone screen with a senior EA for the department. I was then invited in for an interview loop that consisted of five sequential one hour interviews. The next day I received an offer for a several month contract. The interview process is grueling, but not unpleasant; people at Amazon are amazingly nice. The atmosphere is definitely casual - a suit would be out of place. Business casual attire works fine for an interview process.

Interview Questions

• A question I received multiple times was "how do you keep your executive on track with their meetings?", and also "how do you know when it is time to go home?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I am still on contract, but currently in consideration for full time position. If you are good, don't hesitate to take a contract position - the company is growing and hiring, so the opportunity is there to come on full time, plus it gives you the opportunity to see if the position is a good fit before you commit to full time.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

The entire process started via an online application through their career site. It's a pretty typical fill-in-the-form sort of process, with the chance to attach a resume and cover letter. The information is then sent onto the recruiters handling the hiring for that particular job. They see a lot of resumes, so make sure yours highlights those skills and accomplishments that directly relate to the position.

Applying at Amazon is a marathon, not a sprint. In total, including phone and in-person, I went through over 10 interviews for the position. The important take away from this is drive and consistency. They really want to make sure you're the best fit. But, this process also provides plenty of opportunities for you to really get to know and understand the company culture. Be consistent. And, strive to maintain your energy level and balance throughout.

A few days after applying, I received an email from a recruiter interested in setting up a phone interview. This is really just to see if there are any immediate red flags. After the interview with the recruiter, I had two more phone interviews. The first was with an EA and it covered many of the expected questions about organizational and time management skills. The second interview was with the manager I would be supporting. Here the questions tended to focus on fit, approach, and multitasking strategies. These phone interviews took place over the course of a week. The more flexible you are with scheduling, the better.

The phone interviews were followed by several in-person interviews on campus. I meet with two additional EAs, the manager I would be supporting for a second time, two of the managers with the organization, one of the recruiters, and several others. If you've reached this point, there is some confidence on their part that you have the skills needed for the job. The questions were much more closely tied to cultural fit, working on a team, and getting a good picture of how problems are recognized and resolved. These in-person interviews can be challenging. But, they are your best chance to really get a sense of your fit and a picture of the team.

Get plenty of sleep the night before and don't be afraid to ask for a break. These interviews can take up all morning or all day depending on the circumstances. The dress on campus is casual. This isn't business causal (though you will see that some). This is a nice pair of jeans, some trainers, and a clean shirt casual. Take a lot of notes. Ask a lot of questions, both about the culture and the team. And, don't forget to send out thank you notes to each interviewer personally.

Again, the key here is consistency, drive, and energy. Amazon is a company that is very fast-paced, detail oriented, and results driven. Stress your fit along these lines, as well as your familiarity with the leadership principles, and you'll have a good shot at an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where something you planned did not turn out as you expected.   1 Answer
    • How exactly do you prioritize your tasks?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Here, the tried and true rule of not naming a price first is good to remember. The recruiter will try to get a sense from you of what you're looking for in terms of salary. But, stand your ground and wait for a number from them. They're actively looking for the best people and they're willing to pay to get them. Remember, that Microsoft is located across the lake and wants to hire from the same class.

That said, the offer packages are very competitive. In fact, their first offer was more than what I had hoped to receive after negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2009.

Interview

It's a l-o-n-g process. You will have 1 or 2 phone screens and if you make it past those, you'll be brought in for a (likely) day-long interview marathon. One right after the other. Each person you interview with is looking for how you'd fit with one of Amazon's core values. They usually also throw in a 'wild card' person...someone with whom your position might never interact with, but they have a high level / deeper insight they are looking at/for. That group will meet and discuss after your day is over and they will decide to offer/not offer. If they do not make you an offer, they will not give you feedback on why. It's policy. If they do make you an offer, they won't negotiate much on salary, but you might find wiggle room in some of the benefits.

Interview Questions

• Nothin too unexpected...but the long day makes for better chances of breaking you down by the end. Don't lose focus.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

Interview process was email communications, phone interview and in person interview for 5 hours with multiple members of the Amazon team.

Interview Questions

• Every question was centered around providing exact examples of when you have used different technology suites to accomplish job. They want you to be very precises. So make sure to really think of not just how to answer the question but do it with an example, and don't talk for more than 2 minutes per questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2013.

Interview

I applied for an EA position and within a week had gotten a call from the HR gal at Amazon. She had told me about a new process for 1st round interviews where they used video as their technique. You were to log in on this website they provided and then your round of questioning would start. You could do some practice runs if you wanted. So you could know how to use the website. Once you started they would ask a question. You then had 30 seconds to read the question before the video turned on for your response. The HR gal also gave you an option to talk on the phone for the 1st round. I would in the future suggest you go with the live person on the phone.

Interview Questions

• It was a difficult and awkward process because you see yourself on the camera and also you only get 30 seconds to read the question, understand it, and answer. The whole process was a bit stressful. The questions were not out of context nor did I have any unexpected questions. That is the only positive thing about this video interview. If you study common questions for your field you should be good to answer and not be caught off guard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied for a few jobs (all Executive Assistant) but was not selected for an interview on any of these. I was contacted by someone in another department who saw my resume and wanted to find out if I was interested in the position she was looking to fill. I confirmed my interest, and she asked me to fill out a questionnaire. After returning the questionnaire via email, she confirmed that the team was interested in interviewing me, and I was then contacted by the recruiting coordinator. She scheduled a time for me to talk with someone else, and I am currently awaiting that phone interview.

Interview Questions

• So far, I've only been asked standard questions about problem solving, compensation, and how many hours are too many per week, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted via email for a phone screen. After the initial phone screen I was scheduled for 2 phone interviews with other departmental EA's.
    Last step was an in person loop at the Amazon offices to meet with 6 team member. I met 1 recruiter, 4 EA's and 2 Directors. It was a 5 hour loop.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to answer situational questions. Be specific about experiences with other positions and be thoughtful about your answers. Try to think of best and worst case experiences and how you dealt with those in your past and what you learned from each. Don't try to be a perfect specimen. Be human, be honest and be accountable for your experiences.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Still in the offer phase. Great experience so far. Getting to the in person interview took some patience, but it has moved very quickly to the offer stage.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2014.

Interview

They are making things way more complicated than they are. I applied online and for 3 weeks - nothing. Then I sent my resume to a friend to be send it internally and I received a call in 2 days. They send you questions in word format to fill out. Then if they like your answers, they will schedule a phone interview, if not they will just say Thank you, but.....
    Phone interview questions are nothing related to your experience, they are all behavioral. So prepare good for any scenarios you might be or have been. Then a second interview in about a week. Then if they like you again, you will be invited for 5-6 hr in person interview. Anyway good luck to those wanting to go through the long and not so pleasant process.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest mistake at work and how did you handle it? How did your manager react to it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied for an EA role in the Seattle HQ. I was contacted via email by a recruiting coordinator who then scheduled 4 separate phone interviews, spread out over several weeks with several different EA's on the team. I felt like the EA's and I had a good connection. They answered questions they way I would have and and we all seemed to be on the same page as far as how we approach our jobs and what we are looking for in a job. They must have felt the same way because I was later scheduled to come in for all day interviews.

Over the course of 1 day I interviewed with a total of 12 people! First the HR EA, then every 30 minutes someone else on the team. These consisted of business managers, developers, analysts, team leaders etc. These people interviewed me the same way that you would someone looking to fill one of THEIR roles. I got the feeling that they wanted me to answer the questions and approach a problem the way that they would. Which is ridiculous. They wanted indepth specifics to things that an EA would consider common sense and not needing to be mentioned. An EA who approaches their job like a developer is NOT going to be an effective EA.

Then in the afternoon I did 1:1 interviews with all of the same EAs that I had spoke with on the phone.

At the end of the day I met with HR and they went over benefits etc. and told me that they would be making a decision the first part of the next week. I waited over a week and a half and finally had to contact the recruiter myself to see if I was still being considered!!!

The entire day left me with a few observations:

1) There is absolutely NO purpose for business analysts and developers to be interviewing an EA. An EA should be interviewed and selected by other EAs and the person they will be supporting
    2) Many of the people on the interview panel (not the EAs), were condescending
    3) Several of the people were a little too "rah rah, Amazon" for me which reminded me of a cult
    4) Failure to contact me with the outcome shows lack of consideration.

Amazon posts new support role jobs every day. Needless to say, I am THANKFUL that I wasn't selected and I will not be applying for any of their other open positions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time blah blah blah unimaginative questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (West Columbia, SC) in July 2011.

Interview

Participated in an e-mail interview that went well and was given a time for a phone interview. The phone interviewer never called me, so I contacted my previous contact to reschedule. At that point they informed me the position had already been filled. I do wish they had let me know ahead of time so I wouldn't have wasted my time waiting for the phone call that never came. It also seemed unprofessional to me to fill a position without meeting all of the candidates you had scheduled to interview.