Amazon Executive Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Executive Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

On-line application. multiple phone screens. 5-6 hours of on-site interviews including lunch. 1 skills test. 1 personality type for the position test. Multiple emails requesting salary requirements, references and most current resume.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you handled a situation differently than what your manager preferred. How did it turn out.
    Describe a time when you had to lead a team "through the dark".
    We need people with backbone, everyone at Amazon thinks they are important. How as an Executive Assistant will you keep your managers calendar clear of unnecessary meetings.
    In past positions, describe a busy time and what you sacrificed to accomplish the goal.
    You have worked for Fortune 100 and 500 companies. Do you think you will be able to handle the fast pace at Amazon? (Really??)

NOTE: I was told by an Amazon employee that the hiring mangers do not have the authority to hire a specific candidate. The interviewer known as "The Bar Raiser", who is not part of the department and may or may not know anything about the position you are applying for, makes the final decision. Amazon would rather lose many good, qualified candidates rather than make 1 bad hiring mistake. Much of the process seems to come down to whether the "Bar Raiser" likes you. The " Bar Raisers" are easy to identify and are usually very passive or very aggressive in their interview method. They may also bring along an interview trainee.

Also, beware of fake interviews. Over a 16 month period of time I was contacted for 3 Executive Assistant positions, went thru many phone screens and on-site interviews for each. While 1 interview seemed genuine. The other 2 felt as though I had been brought in to fulfill an HR need for candidate quantity or candidate type. Check the interview agenda. Make sure that multiple hiring managers are part of the interview process. Make sure that you will be taken to lunch or that lunch will be brought in. (Sad to say, but if you are on your own for lunch, it is not a good sign). If your recruiters and others that you are handed off to, make negative comments about Amazon, it is likely because they know you aren't going to be hired anyway. So they feel safe in complaining to you.

Make your interview day easy. Take a cab to and from the interview. Research lunch options in the area, in case you are on your own. Save all your receipts and submit the same day. You will need to scan your receipts so load a Scanner app to your phone.

Overall, the interview process is very lengthy and it doesn't seem that you have an opportunity to really get in-depth information about the actual position or the needs of the person you may support. Everyone is too busy asking generic behavioral questions, typing your replies, and looking at their next meetings or texts that come thru. After 3 interviews I felt the process lacked professionalism and an appreciation of the candidates time.
    1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was surprised by the length of the overall hiring process. It took me 8 months to get an onsite interview. I had never been denied throughout the process, but rather positions were filled before I had the opportunity to interview. I went through six recruiters/departments. Prepare your patience!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had to push back with a customer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

(EA at Amazon Studios in Santa Monica) Everything you've read about the interview process is true: it's tough, lengthy and there are several steps to go through so you have to be patient. I was contacted by a recruiter via Linkedin then had a phone interview with her about a week later. She told me the entire process takes about 5-6 weeks, but they will speed it up if you have another pending offer.

Then I received an EA questionnaire containing 1 question to which I had to write a 1 page response to.

Also had to take a skills test, which was essentially an attention to detail test (VERY easy if you really do have a good attention to detail.)

Then I had a second phone interview with a current EA at Amazon Studios another week or so after that. Unfortunately I didn't make it past this round, but had I, the next step would have been to do a third phone interview and the fourth would have been to come into Amazon and do a 5-6 hour block of back to back 45 minute interviews with various team members there.

You MUST study study study the Amazon Leadership principles and fold them into your responses. Use the STAR method to answer your interview questions. They will ask very specific situational questions and they want you to provide a strong, specific example and to not use the same example in other questions.

I practiced a list of about 30 questions and thought of examples for each one and I still stumbled because the situational questions I was asked weren't exactly the same or they were a little bit deeper/two part questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were in a meeting, and you were the only one who disagreed with an idea that rest of the group was on board with. How did you go about this?

Tell me about your most innovative idea.

Tell me about a time where you had to get really creative to solve a problem.

Describe a situation where a current process wasn't working and how you went about improving upon it.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was notified via email for a request to phone interview and asked what date and times worked for me. After replying, I received an email, pretty quickly, advising I had a phone interview that week. The next day, I had another phone interview. I was told I would be hearing back from them with regards to going forward or not. The next day I received an email inviting me to an all-day panel interview the following week. It seemed very streamlined and quick.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a mistake and how you went about telling your supervisor about it and how it was handled.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

First phone interview with an Amazon recruiter. Completed an online assessment (about 30 minutes). Second and third phone interviews with current EAs. Invited to onsite 1/2 day of in-person interviews. Took 4 hours to be interviewed by 5 Amazon employees (2 executives and 3 EAs), plus lunch with 2 EAs. Received an offer within 24 hours, which was expedited from the normal 2-3 days because I had another pending offer.

Interview Questions

• Mostly situational, looking for specific examples from your work experience that matches their 12 Leadership Principles. You receive documents from your recruiter to help you prepare in advance. Recommend allowing several days to study and write out your answers!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

You have to have a HUGE amount of patience for this company. I have been applying on line at Amazon for a year, then a college of mine that works for Amazon recommended me for a few positions and I finally got called. I don't think I would have even received a call if not for him recommitting me. I waited over 2 MONTHS for the actual in person interview from the initial phone screening. I was emailed initially an offer to have a phone interview with a recruiter, the next day she called then told me she was going to keep me in mind when an EA position opened and to NOT interview with any other Amazon positions while I went through the process as it was in bad taste. I waited another week and got an email from a separate recruiter asking for another phone interview. I emailed her back telling her I was in the process of interviewing for an EA position and I was told that it is in bad taste to interview multiple positions. She informed me she was another recruiter for the team. There was a total of 4 phone screening interviews before I landed the in person interview. I then had to do a personality test and basic computer skill test that was emailed to me, simple enough. I got a call the following day and I was told that initially I had been selected for an in person interview, then apparently they promoted an Amazon employee. I was disappointed, but I was informed by the recruiter that she had 2 other positions she wanted to present me for. I was called a week later and told the original position was back open as the person they promoted from within, didn't work out. She said I had to come in to interview for the original position before she could present me to the other positions. I said that was fine, and finally scheduled my in person interview. She ensured me that even if I didn't get this position, she had 2 other positions and for me not to worry as I would definitely be working at Amazon. I was told by the recruiter to study the Amazon Principles and come up with real life work examples where I have applied the Principles in past work experiences. Do not walk in and waste your time if you don't have a lot of examples prepared. I was lead to a conference room where I would stay the entire day, except for leaving for a lunch break with an Amazon employee. I went in for my interviews and met with 4 of the 5 interviewers.The interviews were 45 minutes long each, The interviews I felt went really well, I was asked basic and situational questions. I gave thoughtful answers and gave different examples from past work experiences instead of giving the same answer to each interviewer. The interviewers made sure to remind me not to give the same answer (even though I didn't) as a lot of their questions are repeated. I was taken to lunch by an Amazon employee, which is also an interview- don't be fooled that its not.

Interview Questions

• The last interviewer did not show up.I was called by the recruiter, and apparently she was on vacation and didn't get the memo we were supposed to meet. Again I was flexible with re-scheduling the meeting. She said she couldn't disclose the feedback, but she emphasized it was going really really well, and to keep up my enthusiasm and to keep working my magic on the last interviewer. I was sent over the basic benefits and stock package, I was so confident I had the job, I stopped looking for other positions and put all of my effort into just this position. I was told the re-scheduled meeting would be a phone interview with a past EA, and then one hour before, on the day of the scheduled meeting I got a call saying that it would actually be the person who was on vacation, that they were back now. I felt this was very unprofessional, but as being flexible is a principle at Amazon, I said again, no problem. The phone interviewer called me 10 minutes late, they didn't even apologize for calling late, and immediately this person was extremely rude, cutting me off telling me they didn't have time for my long answers to their questions, as they had meetings after this. I immediately knew that the interview was not going well. I had been recommended by an Amazon employee for this position and the interviewer asked me for his name and position and why he hadn't recommended me for that team as I'd be a much better fit over there. Extremely rude and condescending. I have over 10+ years in the Admin/EA field, and I did not appreciate how rude this person was considering how flexible I had been during this entire 2 month process. I received a call from the recruiter 2 days later saying they had to all meet to compare notes, and I would get a call that Friday with the results. On Friday I was called and told it would be next Tuesday or Wednesday as one of the interviewers was out of the office. I understand Amazon has a strict hiring policy, but I felt I was jerked around quite a bit. I was called on Wednesday and told I did not get the job and that they had promoted someone else from within Amazon (again). After getting that call I called up the other recruiter to ask her about the other 2 positions she had for me, and I was told that "she would keep my resume in mind if anything matched in the future". It was a complete 180 turn around. I have read on other forums that if 1 person in the interview cycle doesn't like you, then they will not hire you. I don't know if this is true or not, but after getting the initial feed back that was so positive from the recruiter, I truly felt I had the job, and would have been a great asset to the Amazon team. I'm not sure if it was the recruiter that was just fluffing me up or if it was the last interviewer, but after all that effort I put in, it was extremely frustrating for me- like cold water on my face. Now I'm back to square one sending out my resume. I really enjoyed visiting the building and getting to experience the culture, and wish a position could have worked out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview included a 30 min ute phone screen followed by a 6-hour interview block with 5 back-to-back interviews and an informal interview lunch. The day also included a 15-minute break, however I was left in the conference room and not taken to a break area with a water fountain and restroom.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about earning trust?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Interviews were extensive but not unpleasant. I three phone interviews starting with the recruiter and then moved forward with the hiring managers and directors of the department. After about a week, I was scheduled for an in person interview where I met 5 individuals from the team which included the directors I would be supporting.

Interview Questions

• Questions are heavily focused on Amazon core values.   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Very concise and to the point. Definitely weeding out the non performers from the leaders of the pack based on interview style/questions. Made me question if I was answering correctly despite my comfort level with my skills as an EA. Left unsure of myself and/or the result of the interview afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Please give a demonstrated example of how you handled a task you dreaded.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

Went through two phone interviews with recruiters. About a week later I took a personality test. The next day I has an email to set up another phone interview with three other executive assistants. Each call was about an hour long. The whole process and interviews took about a month.

Interview Questions

• "What would your perfect boss be like to allow your strongest talents show?" Then after you answered that question they would ask you " What would you do if your boss have characteristics that allowed your characteristics to shine"   Answer Question