Amazon Executive Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 22, 2017

3.6

58 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Intense but very friendly. 5 - 6 interviews back to back in one day. They want to get to know you, to see if you would be a good fit. They want to know if you are an individual contributor at work. And whether or not you're able to move the ball forward in your respective job function. Every question they ask tries to get you to speak about how you deliver results.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me an example of how you took ownership over a project and delivered results.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter via email saying I seem like a good candidate based on my experience, etc. and they wanted to chat for a few minutes. We set up the initial phone screen and went over the position details. There were a few different positions the recruiter wanted to consider me for. They were all Lead EA positions. Fast forward a couple of weeks, I had several phone interviews. They were all with current Amazon EA's. One of the EA's didn't think I was a good "fit" for one of the positions. All of the other EA's seemed to like me and they invited me to an all-day onsite in Seattle. They contacted me with the travel details and I flew out to Seattle. My interviews started at 8:15am and ended around 3pm. VERY LONG DAY.... I was taken to lunch by one of the EA's and then brought back for more interviews. They were back to back, non-stop interviews. Everyone was very nice. I met with an HR Director, a VP that I would potentially support, and the rest were current EA's (except for my recruiter who I met with at the end of the day). I think overall the interview process is a little extreme. I am an experienced EA (over 15 years) and I work for a very large, worldwide top automotive company.... with that being said, the recruiter was supposed to contact me a few days later and let me know my interview results. Of course, that did not happen. I had to reach out to her to see what was going on. I called and left her a message and also emailed her - very unprofessional! Finally, she called me. She said at this time they are not going to make me an offer and she could not give me an exact reason why. She stated that overall, my interview went well but the team doesn't think I would be happy "long term" in that position. REALLY?? Why would I apply for the position if I wouldn't be happy??! How can you even assume that? Made no sense to me at all.

Overall, the entire hiring process at Amazon was unprofessional, VERY slow, and a complete waste of time. Not to mention they had to keep moving my phone interviews around and every single person who called me were LATE to the interview!

I can tell you that their EA's think they are better than everyone else. One of them told me "you have no idea how it is to work here and it is much crazier here than the current company you work for." Ummm how in the world would she even know that??? She does not work for my company! My company is just a large as Amazon. I honestly tried not to laugh at that statement. I could run circles around more than half of their EA's!!! They are not that special.

I wish I would have read some of these negative reviews on here before I even agreed to talk to them. I am not bitter because I was not offered a position. I am upset with the way the entire process was handled. Either way, I would have declined an offer from Amazon. Knowing what I know now, that is NOT a company I want to work for.

Interview Questions

• I don't really think the interview was difficult. The questions were not that hard. They just try to dig deep by asking question after question. If you are an experienced EA, you will do fine.

Signed the NDA - so cannot disclose interview questions.

Mostly behavioral questions - tell me about a time when... also a lot of questions related to the Amazon leadership principles.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

Amazon's interview and hiring process is one of the best I've ever experienced. They want to hire the best and know exactly how to get it. Each person I spoke with and interacted with, whether it was the recruiter, coordinator or interviewers treated me fairly, professionally and genuinely tried to get to know me.

The entire process from start to finish took about 4 months since I was out of state. Amazon hires for the position itself as well as for Amazon. If you aren't right for the position, but a great fit at Amazon, I recommend you continue working with your recruiter to find a place.

I applied online and received an email asking for a phone interview about two months later. After two one-hour phone screens asking behavioral-based questions such as "tell me about a time when...", the recruiter contacted me to let me know that they wanted to fly me out to Seattle for all-day interviews.

The onsite interview consists of 5-6 one-hour interviews with someone taking you to lunch. It's a long day but well worth it. You meet peers, the hiring manager and also those outside the department. Remember, they are interviewing you for both the position and whether or not you're a fit at Amazon. They all asked behavioral-based questions focused on Amazon's Leadership Principles so it's important to know and study them.

After a couple of days, I was notified that while I wasn't the right fit for that position, they all saw I was a fit for Amazon and the recruiter helped me with the process again. At this point, I knew I could fit in the Amazon culture but needed to find the team where I could fit in. The recruiter was great at informing me of other open positions and we worked on finding a place for me. I did two other phone interviews and flew out for another onsite interview. The hiring managers and I immediately connected within a few hours, I received a job offer.

Overall, while the process was long, it was thorough and made me realize exactly how much Amazon screens to find the best candidates. I couldn't have asked for a better interviewing experience and they set the standard for what I expected out of other interviews I did.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you failed.   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Call from Recruiter, followed by two other phone interviews. Followed by in-person interview. Process is over a month long. Be prepared to answer questions in the STAR format. Situation/Task/Action/Result

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Washington, DC).

Interview

Process moved very quickly once it started (I was referred internally by someone which helped a ton). Started with a brief phone interview by an employee who formerly had the role. That was quickly followed by a phone interview with a recruiter. Finally, I was brought in for a 4-hour, 5 person in person interview. Exhausting but thorough process. If you don't get the job, you will not be given any explanation per company policy.

Interview Questions

• Most questions related to their Leadership Principles. Every interviewer had slight variations to the "Describe a time you failed/were not successful/something didn't go as planned."   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online for a handful of EA positions at Amazon. Got emailed for the first phone screening with the recruiter about 3 weeks later. The first interview was an hour of non stop questions (be prepared for how overwhelming that is - no time for chit chat). I had to complete an online assessment: multiple choice personality test and an "attention to detail" test, and 2 short essay questions that required more thought as writing samples. 2 weeks later I had a phone interview with an EA. After that, they flew me out to Seattle for in-person interviews with 4 people (about 45 minutes per person). It was from 9 - 12 and very quick with each person - basically question after question. The next day I was invited for 2 more phone interviews once I was back home. About 3 days after that I actually received an offer from a different company so I reached out to Amazon and they extended an offer.

I interviewed with 7 people total.

Interview Questions

• - Given hypothetical situation and asked to described how I would complete the task
      - all others were typical EA questions   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by email a few days later for interview. They email you with a pre-selected date and time which is inconvenient and unaccommodating if need to reschedule however they state they are willing to reschedule.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got emailed for the first phone screening with the recruiter about 3 weeks after applying but she actually contacted me for a position that was different than the one I applied for. After the initial phone interview, I had to complete an online assessment (mostly personality) and submit some written answers (short essay style). About 2 weeks later, a second phone interview was scheduled. After that I was invited for an in-person interview in Seattle which was scheduled about a month after my last phone interview. The in person interview lasted 3 hours. The next day after my in-person interview, I received an invite for a 2 hour follow up interview with 2 people.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging thing you've had to do in your career so far?
      Describe a time that you had a strong opinion about something and someone changed your mind.
      Hypothetical situation was given to me and I had to describe what steps I would take to solve the problem.
      Asked about the current calendar that I manager.
      Asked about what my preferred working style was.
      Describe a time that you over exceeded expectations on a project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

On-line application. multiple phone screens. 5-6 hours of on-site interviews including lunch. 1 skills test. 1 personality type for the position test. Multiple emails requesting salary requirements, references and most current resume.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you handled a situation differently than what your manager preferred. How did it turn out.
      Describe a time when you had to lead a team "through the dark".
      We need people with backbone, everyone at Amazon thinks they are important. How as an Executive Assistant will you keep your managers calendar clear of unnecessary meetings.
      In past positions, describe a busy time and what you sacrificed to accomplish the goal.
      You have worked for Fortune 100 and 500 companies. Do you think you will be able to handle the fast pace at Amazon? (Really??)

NOTE: I was told by an Amazon employee that the hiring mangers do not have the authority to hire a specific candidate. The interviewer known as "The Bar Raiser", who is not part of the department and may or may not know anything about the position you are applying for, makes the final decision. Amazon would rather lose many good, qualified candidates rather than make 1 bad hiring mistake. Much of the process seems to come down to whether the "Bar Raiser" likes you. The " Bar Raisers" are easy to identify and are usually very passive or very aggressive in their interview method. They may also bring along an interview trainee.

Also, beware of fake interviews. Over a 16 month period of time I was contacted for 3 Executive Assistant positions, went thru many phone screens and on-site interviews for each. While 1 interview seemed genuine. The other 2 felt as though I had been brought in to fulfill an HR need for candidate quantity or candidate type. Check the interview agenda. Make sure that multiple hiring managers are part of the interview process. Make sure that you will be taken to lunch or that lunch will be brought in. (Sad to say, but if you are on your own for lunch, it is not a good sign). If your recruiters and others that you are handed off to, make negative comments about Amazon, it is likely because they know you aren't going to be hired anyway. So they feel safe in complaining to you.

Make your interview day easy. Take a cab to and from the interview. Research lunch options in the area, in case you are on your own. Save all your receipts and submit the same day. You will need to scan your receipts so load a Scanner app to your phone.

Overall, the interview process is very lengthy and it doesn't seem that you have an opportunity to really get in-depth information about the actual position or the needs of the person you may support. Everyone is too busy asking generic behavioral questions, typing your replies, and looking at their next meetings or texts that come thru. After 3 interviews I felt the process lacked professionalism and an appreciation of the candidates time.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

(EA at Amazon Studios in Santa Monica) Everything you've read about the interview process is true: it's tough, lengthy and there are several steps to go through so you have to be patient. I was contacted by a recruiter via Linkedin then had a phone interview with her about a week later. She told me the entire process takes about 5-6 weeks, but they will speed it up if you have another pending offer.

Then I received an EA questionnaire containing 1 question to which I had to write a 1 page response to.

Also had to take a skills test, which was essentially an attention to detail test (VERY easy if you really do have a good attention to detail.)

Then I had a second phone interview with a current EA at Amazon Studios another week or so after that. Unfortunately I didn't make it past this round, but had I, the next step would have been to do a third phone interview and the fourth would have been to come into Amazon and do a 5-6 hour block of back to back 45 minute interviews with various team members there.

You MUST study study study the Amazon Leadership principles and fold them into your responses. Use the STAR method to answer your interview questions. They will ask very specific situational questions and they want you to provide a strong, specific example and to not use the same example in other questions.

I practiced a list of about 30 questions and thought of examples for each one and I still stumbled because the situational questions I was asked weren't exactly the same or they were a little bit deeper/two part questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were in a meeting, and you were the only one who disagreed with an idea that rest of the group was on board with. How did you go about this?

Tell me about your most innovative idea.

Tell me about a time where you had to get really creative to solve a problem.

Describe a situation where a current process wasn't working and how you went about improving upon it.   1 Answer