Amazon Interview Questions in Herndon, VA | Glassdoor

3.4

68 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Cloud Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

Got to know about this position via career fair.
    Contacted by recruiter to apply.
    2 rounds.

Online Assessment. Knowledge test on Linux, Network and troubleshooting.

Onsite interviews. Multiple Technical + Behavioral rounds.

Entire process took 1+ month.

Interview Questions

• Sorry I signed NDA so can't share the questions. But the topics were same. Basic Linux commands, troubleshooting, network concepts.   1 Answer

Data Center Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in August 2017.

Interview

Here's my timeline:

7/10: Applied for position online
    7/27: Contacted via email (1st recruiter)
    8/01: Contacted via email (2nd recruiter)
    8/02: Contacted via email (3rd recruiter)
    8/07: Phone interview with Hiring Mngr
    8/08: Onsite interview invitation
    8/16: Onsite interview confirmation
    8/22: Pre interview recruiter prep call
    8/23: Final confirmation email
    8/24: Onsite interview loop (7 total)
    8/28: Notified via email didn't get the job

As everyone else stated you need to study the leadership principles but not just that find at least two scenarios from each one you can talk about in your career/life. They like the STAR format: Situation, Task, Action, Result.

Try to come up with different examples for each principle and not talk about the same one with each interviewer. They will ask different questions but it many cases are similar so it's easy to want to use the same example. Remember they debrief after and take detailed notes during so they can discuss.

I prepared for my interview like I would a final exam. I put in the time for sure. I thought of all kinds of examples from my career and studied them. I've never prepared so much for an interview in my life. I even got the audio book The Amazon Way and listened to it before my interview. I was ready.

During the interviews I got along great with everyone I thought. Had great conversations and they were all very nice. I will say the questions are tough, they threw me a few times and I had to really dig even though I'd prepared well. Most of mine were situational or behavioral with some technical thrown in. They really like ones where you had an issue or problem and overcame it, where you failed but learned and how to you improved something and the impact.

There will be a Bar Raiser interview and for me it was the toughest one. Very hard questions, one I couldn't even think of an example. We were supposed to meet in person but ended up doing it over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Like I said above, come up with as many situations and examples in your career where you failed at something but learned, where you improved something and it's impact and where you had to overcome challenging situations that have a positive outcome.   1 Answer

Principal Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

The process started with an initial technical phone screen interview, followed by another phone interview with the hiring manager, and finally a full-day round of 6 interviews. The full-day "Loop" was a great experience and I really enjoyed the discussions with everyone. One in particular asked more probing and difficult questions, but it seemed like I was able to dive deep and provide what he was looking for - my thought process rather than a "right" answer. The process and structure was formal, but the personable interaction was comfortable. You can tell that they take hiring very serious and they all put in the time to read a candidate's resume and be prepared. Although I thought it was a great experience and that I might be of "Amazonian" potential, I didn't think they would select me for the position. I was pleasantly surprised 4 days later when I received the email.

Interview Questions

• Describe an accomplishment from your work experience that you are most proud of.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter directly for an online coding challenge. After successfully completing the challenge, had another technical phone screen round on coding as well. Finally, had an onsite interview with 5 rounds including coding, system design, and behavioral rounds.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, so cannot reveal the exact questions. They were largely based on algorithms and data structures with strong emphasis on Hast Tables.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I initially approached an Amazon recruiter within LinkedIn. From there, he introduced me to another Amazon recruiter that handles the job opportunities within Amazon Web Services located at Herndon, VA. The recruiter reached out to me through email and introduced the position available. We set a time for him to call me. The first call was about 30 minutes, he did most of the talking about the job opening. He also emailed me a lot of information about the job description and responsibilities. After a week, I had my first phone interview. It lasted for 1.5 hours. Two people were in it; a systems engineer and a developer. I was asked about a combination of systems administration and scripting/developer questions. I honestly stated that I don't have developer experience so I was asked basic programming questions. The morning after the interview, I got an email from the recruiter that I got positive reviews and the team wanted to move forward with another technical phone interview. After a week, the second phone interview was set. This time it was with the Hiring Manager. He was the manager/team lead of the team I would be working with. The interview took another 1.5 hours to complete. It was very technical so it was really draining on the brain. After the interview, he mentioned that it might take a longer time for the result since it was a Friday and a long weekend. The following week, I received an email from the hiring coordinator that the team has decided to pursue other candidates at this time. They will, however, keep my resume on file for 12 months and will contact me if ever there are other positions that fit my qualifications and experience. They also asked me to apply for other open positions.

Overall, it was a good experience. The interviewers were all polite and professional.

Be prepared. Read a lot of online articles and explanation on how things work. They do ask practical questions but there were a lot of things that if you didn't read it, you wouldn't have an idea on how to explain it as some questions are really based on a lot of readings and understanding on how things work.

Interview Questions

• Explain the Linux boot process.
      Explain the permissions on files and directories.
      Explain the OSI layers, be prepared to provide examples.
      How to set a list?
      What is the difference between an integer and a string?
      What is the difference between a for and a while loop?

What happens when you enter amazon.com on a browser? Explain what goes through the OSI layer. How does routing and ARP work? What would be the most difficult thing that you have encountered at work and how did you resolve that issue? Tell me about a time where you recommended something that was entirely different from what the customer wanted.   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and was eventually contacted by an Amazon Web Services recruiter. I went through 2 phone interviews, each an hour long, then had to write a 6 page, 10-pt single-spaced paper with executive summary based off a prompt they gave me about the needs of a potential client. I had 7 days to research and write it. This was probably the most difficult part of the interview because the guidance on what they are actually looking for is minimal. I researched several of AWS' 70+ features and chose a handful to write about, hoping they were the right applications for the prompt. After I made it through that round, I had 6 hours of in-person interviews on site in Herndon, VA. A week before my interviews they scheduled a 30 minute phone call with another AWS recruiter who basically coached me on how to be successful in the interview; what they're looking for, how to prepare, etc. That helped me a lot when getting ready. Each interview was one-on-one in a small 'interview room' and 45 minutes long. Generally these interviews were not very warm. You are not left alone the entire day; they don't want you wandering off in the building so you always have a chaperone and interviewers don't leave until the next one arrives. 3 of my 5 interviews were given by remote employees and were supposed to be over video chat but the chat didn't work for any of them so we had to resort to over the phone, and I don't know how that may have affected the interview process since they couldn't read body language and we couldn't talk face to face. Lunch was provided and you ate with an employee who was not interviewing you, so it's nice they don't interview you over lunch. Every person who interviewed me worked in some capacity on the team I would be working on, except one and I am assuming he was the 'bar raiser' because he really pushed me. and his interview was the hardest All questions asked at every interview stage were 'tell me about a time when' or 'give me an example of'- type scenario questions, and then they would ask further in-depth questions about the scenario I described, so you can't really BS your way through. You have to really know and remember details about the experience you are describing because they are going to grill you on it to gauge how you respond to different events. They want to know what you already HAVE done, so come prepared with really good examples you want to share and how they fit with the job description AND the Leadership Principles. The AWS recruiter told me that it's ok to only have a handful of stories and reuse them in different interviews as long as you can apply them to various Leadership Principles (but bear in mind everyone who interviews you does get together after to score you so they'll know all the example scenarios you used). Every question throughout all levels of interviewing were based on the Principles. I studied for my in-person interviews like I would a test, reviewing the Principles and coming up with examples from my work history that exemplified them. Although they told me I would hear either way within a week, I did not hear from them for 3 weeks which I found unusual and kind of unprofessional. I finally emailed the recruiter and asked for confirmation, at which point they finally confirmed I had not gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with a co-worker on a project and lost.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA).

Interview

Amazon (AWS) has a horrible recruiting process. I went through it 3 times. Recruiters or hiring managers interviews you, says you are a good fit & will move to next steps. So you take interviews over the next 4-8 weeks as they drag out the process of making a decision. Then they curtly reply, "not moving forward". No indication nor feedback as to how status went from great candidate, to not interested. Yet they encourage you to keep applying. I'm done. I don't see how they'll get to 20k additional hires using this method.

Interview Questions

• Do you know the company principles?   1 Answer

Cloud Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through employee referral. Got a call from recruiter for a 60 min interview. Spoke to senior cloud architect and mostly technical disucssion. It was mostly centered on scaling of the platforms.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview lasted over seven hours and involved discussions with five rounds of managers from different areas of the organization. The recruiters spent a lot of time trying to prepare me for the discussion which was beneficial. The discussions themselves were strange. Each manager had the same script and repeated it verbatim which got to be creepy the fifth time around.
    'How are you doing? Can I offer you a glass or water or restroom break? If you need anything, just ask. We are here to make sure you are comfortable'.
    The weirdest was each interviewer made little eye contact and transcribed answers like a court stenographer. Interviewing folks without making eye contact was really bizarre. Gave the impression that everyone who works there is high on the autism spectrum. My lips were raw and chapped from talking for a week after this interview. Overall, a very bizarre experience. The managers bragged about how highly competitive, confrontational and abrasive they are with each other.Pretty sure they were im-ing with each other during the discussions too so I guess you can add impolite to the list. Did I mention arrogant?

Interview Questions

• What part of your career are you most proud of?   1 Answer

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn who told me about the position. I applied and received an email about flying out to D.C. for an interview the following week. The whole interview process took about 3 hours (two interviews in one day). The majority of the questions in the first interview were behavioral questions. The second interview was a case study where I had to explain what I would do in a hypothetical situation. The interviews were challenging, but doable as long as you take the time to study the information they provide and prepare answers ahead of time. The entire process from application to offer letter took about three weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with a supervisor.   1 Answer
    • How do you earn trust with you coworkers?   1 Answer