Amazon Interview Questions in Herndon, VA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

3.4

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA).

Interview

Amazon (AWS) has a horrible recruiting process. I went through it 3 times. Recruiters or hiring managers interviews you, says you are a good fit & will move to next steps. So you take interviews over the next 4-8 weeks as they drag out the process of making a decision. Then they curtly reply, "not moving forward". No indication nor feedback as to how status went from great candidate, to not interested. Yet they encourage you to keep applying. I'm done. I don't see how they'll get to 20k additional hires using this method.

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn who told me about the position. I applied and received an email about flying out to D.C. for an interview the following week. The whole interview process took about 3 hours (two interviews in one day). The majority of the questions in the first interview were behavioral questions. The second interview was a case study where I had to explain what I would do in a hypothetical situation. The interviews were challenging, but doable as long as you take the time to study the information they provide and prepare answers ahead of time. The entire process from application to offer letter took about three weeks.

Cloud Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

tl;dr - Unprofessionalism. A company who's mantra is "Frugality" and their hiring process is beyond broken

I started the process in October following an Online Test. The Online Test was easy so I attempted 3 out 5 of the sections (leaving aside Database and Big Data). 4 days later I am told that I have made it to the Phone Interview round. This is where the unprofessionalism began! The person supposed to call me was late and he did not even book a meeting room for our call. Yes - he did not book a meeting room where we could chat uninterrupted for that 1-hour long phone call. Someone walked in while I was answering his question and he had to just drop the call right there. Wow! That was a first for me. 5 minutes later the interviewer calls me from his cell phone! Apologizes for what happened and then resume the discussion a bit more and then we're done.
    A week later I come to know that I've been selected for an onsite interview and that I would be approached by another recruiter for scheduling the onsite program. Then immediately two days later the recruiter calls me up and informs me that the position that I have been interviewing for, has closed. Probably because they found someone or they stopped hiring. The funniest part is: The hiring was stopped in Office B whereas my first preference was Office A!! Now this was interesting - the recruiter goes back to the emails and finds that there has been a misunderstanding and that I actually applied for Office A, not Office B. Hiring has been stopped in all offices and I wait the whole Nov and Dec.
    I was approached once again in Jan for 2 different positions (including the one I interviewed for earlier). I was sent an online coding challenge which I cleared. Now comes the onsite interview. I am once again given Office B when I have clearly mentioned earlier my choice as Office A. I couldn't for the life of me understand what's going on. I comply to their requests and give the onsite interview at Office B in Feb. 2-3 days later I am approached by the HR that they want to extend an offer. I was more than excited but it was short lived because they messed up the salary this time. They couldn't even match the current salary I had but they wanted me to join. I mentioned about my counter offer from another company which was more than my current. No success. They came back with the same offer. During the whole process I was also reached by another team from Amazon for Systems Development Engineer. They told me that I could fit into the other team as well - I agreed. Accordingly a quick phone interview was scheduled and I never ever heard from the HR...even after repeated emails.
    I had no other option but decline their offer. Its a shame on how they reached out for interviews and wasted my valuable time. The stories you read on Glassdoor about bad interviews are indeed true - I experienced them first hand! I wish I never interviewed for Amazon.

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA so I cannot disclose any interview questions   1 Answer

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a great time at Amazon. Amazonians were super friendly, smart and easy going, it made me feel welcome. The recruiter was amazing and they have provided all information I needed for the interview, explained the role and what is expected for each step of the interview etc. The interview process was long, intense and difficult but somehow necessary for the huge expectations and responsibilities required for the role, I also think think they receive a huge amount of volume and candidates from all over the place so handling that is not easy, they need to draw a line and it may take a while to respond to you but don’t be mad about it, just follow up after a week and try again if you fail. I had two phone interviews one technical screening and a second behavioral question interview followed by an onsite interview at Amazon called “the loop”. In my opinion, the loop was intense and the hardest part of the process, you will be sitting in a room for 5 hours answering questions nonstop until they can extract everything from you.

My interview was schedule for 11:30AM, I was in a hotel 20 minutes away from Amazon’s Herndon, VA office, the recruiter called me at the hotel on the interview day at 9:30AM to say that my interview was rescheduled to start at 10AM, not sure if they dropped the ball or wanted to test how flexible I am but that didn't help my performance during the interview. My interview started at 10:15AM and it went until around 4:30PM. The loop was very intense, I only had 5 minutes each round to ask questions back to the interviewer and I had only one chance to go to the bathroom and drink water during lunch time. I was talking a lot trying to answer all those behaviors questions and my mouth was super dry, it would be good if water and breaks between interview rounds were provided more often but time is very limited at Amazon.

I liked all interviewers and Amazon staff, they were super friendly, professional, hard working and smart people. The hire manager was awesome and super smart, the bar raiser asked a lot of difficult questions that made me freeze for a while, they don’t tell who he/she is but you will notice it. I went until the last round and did a presentation at the end. A week later I received an e-mail saying “thanks but you failed”. They don’t provide feedback but I pay attention to things and I know what I should improve, I think I did provide a bad example for resilience/fail tolerance on my presentation and I need to improve my DevOps skills. I learned a lot during the interview and it gave me more motivation to keep studying hard, working hard. I think I would have done better now with all the knowledge acquired over the couple of months. My take is that, I failed the interview but I'm not giving up on them, I'm studying like crazy to improve my skills, polish my presentation skills and be more prepared to apply again in 6 months. I'm looking forward to work for Amazon one day but there are other good companies out there too.

My free advise is, they care a lot about customer experience and they are looking for a smart, easy going person that fits their culture, pay attention to your customer, dive deep and focus on the other Amazon Leadership Principals read the book “Amazon Way” and try to think what you did in the past that is similar to the 14 principals, sometimes is hard to remember what you did 5 years ago but it will be tested on the interview! Try to deliver the message in a structured manner, don't bs them, make sure to include leadership principals and technical details of real situations, what was accomplished and what both company and customer got from it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did this and that. Please provide specific details.   2 Answers
    • Please draw on the white board a hybrid solutions for an enterprise customer that needs to store files online in a private cloud with 99.95% SLA and specify which AWS component you will need to use and details about security, access control etc   1 Answer

Cloud Support Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

At first I thought the opportunity was a scam; it wasn't. Although I did not get the offer, I thought the whole experience was a good experience for me. The interview process took about 4 weeks. Initial communication with recruiter via email to see if I were interested in working for Amazon web Services; Online assessment of my skills - I answered the questions relating to my job description; technical Phone interview - overall the questions were fair.; in person interview. - the interview was fair. Some technical question, and behavioral question.

Interview Questions

• How have you gone beyond and above the call of duty to get a job done.   1 Answer

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA).

Interview

Thorough interview process which consisted of 2 phone screens and a full-day interview loop. I dis one phone screen with one person and then a week or two later did another phone screen with someone else. Then they brought me in for a full-day interview loop where I interviewed with 5 people. There was a 6th person who called me the next day for another interview because they were in Seattle and unavailable the day for my loop. Each person asked between 4-5 questions based on a Leadership Principle.

Cloud Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA).

Interview

The interview is no that difficult, because my preference is Linux, so they focus on asking me some Linux troubleshooting questions, and also some basic networking question. I felt like the behavior question is more difficult to answer.

Interview Questions

• Because I signed NDA, I can not provided detailed information, but I recommend that focusing on Linux and networking basics, like Linux permission, file hierarchy system, TCP and UDP etc, don't waste your time on programming and scripting, just Linux and networking! And preparing some personal stories which are related with their leadership principles.   1 Answer

Linux Cloud Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

A recruiter from the Herndon,VA branch reached out to me and i had the first phone screen, then was emailed a link to an online assessment which focused on Linux, Networking, Big Data etc. Not done with the process, but it's been okay thus far

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult problem you've encountered and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Database Cloud Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview in Herndon, VA
    process took 1 month. 4 rounds of interview with 4 individual managers.
    Signed Non disclosoure - Cant't reveal any thing.
    Most questions on Professional management and leadership skills
    Explain in STAR format. Mostly like a conversation kind of interview.

Interview Questions

• Most questions on Professional management and leadership skills   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and well planned. Half my interviewers asked logical questions and were receptive to my approach/algorithm. The other half, asked unclear questions and my repeated attempts to understand the questions were met with stiff resistance. I felt like the interviewer had made up his/her mind not to hire me and was being unfriendly.

One interviewer mentioned that he worked for customer service. Assuming he was not a programmer, I answered software questions in a generic way so that a non-software engineer could understand them. At the end of the interview, I got a chance to clarify his role and he mentioned that he was a software engineer working for 'customer service' application.

Overall, I was not too impressed with the quality of the questions and the headstrong attitude of some of the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Write code to Implement a circuit board with logical gates.   Answer Question
    • How would you implement a 'Reading Plan' for kindle users?   Answer Question