Amazon IT Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon IT Manager Interview Questions

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Diego, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone Call #1 -- Basic Screener call with a Recruiter.
Phone Call #2 -- More focused Screener. I was applying for an IT Management spot, so the call was with an IT Manager. I was just "real" with the guy, which I guess impressed him because I was recommended for the third interview with the Regional IT Manager. Surprisingly, the question were focused on behavioral, project management thought process, problem solving, staff work, and experience with a "diverse" workforce.
Phone Call #3 -- With the Regional IT Manager. This interview blew me away. Based on the posted job description and the answers to the questions I had for the IT Manager during Call #2 (above), it had seemed Amazon was looking for an IT Manager that was more of a Project Manager with the ability to lead Technicians. However, half of this interviews questions were very technical--things I'd expect my Technicians to know, but not necessarily things I've bothered to learn as a Project Manager. (Note: I've been an IT Manager for 10 years and have done fine without knowing the details they asked). I'm not upset--it's fine--it's what they want. I'll reiterate, I was just personally blown away.

Interview Questions

• 1. Give an example of a time you disagreed with a senior manager? What did you learn from that interaction and how have you applied that lesson?
    2. In what capacity have you worked with a diverse team (e.g. gender and ethnic diversity)?
    3. Have you ever had a network problem caused by one of your technicians? How did you handle it?
    4. Have you ever had a network problem on the weekend (or during off-hours)? How did you handle it?
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Dallas, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

There were two phone interviews then a face to face interview that Amazon bring me in to process. The face to face was a half day event meeting several people.

Interview Questions

• I was not provided any feedback as to why I was not selected however when I met the on-site manager for facility I interview with it was obvious that they was not as technical as the Job description required. When I asked basic subnetting and VLAN questions they had no idea what I was talking about. So I fear the reason I was not selected was because I was possibly over qualified... I am just not sure. That is why corporations should provide feedback so a candidate can work on areas that they maybe weak in, since I received no feedback I have no idea what the real reasons were for a no offer. It worked out for the best in the end.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schertz, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Schertz, TX).

Interview

There were two phone interviews to be followed by an in person interview. The first interview went well and the questions seem to follow what one would expect from a IT manager role. The 2nd interview seemed like amazon wanted a hands on engineer and not a manager.

Interview Questions

• What happens at "layer 2" when you plug a laptop into the net work?   3 Answers

IT Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in May 2013.

Interview

Talked with HR on phone then setup 2nd 45 minute interview with another IT Manager at an FC. This interview went well and lasted over 1 hour and 15 minutes. Was setup with hiring manager and was very quick with questions and direct on feedback. He continued to mention that answers needed to be real world examples... not sure how better to answer but was very aware by the end of the interview how it went.

Interview Questions

• Questions on final interview came across very high level but manager was looking for more in-depth "Real World" answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Antonio, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone call to set up the manager to speak to me over the phone interview Was told that if I was selected from the phone interview i would be called in for a one on one..

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with a difficult employee- wha tdid you do to turn them around?
      Discuss a project that did not go well or went over budget?
      Discuss a time with you had to make a call on your own without your supervisors discussing it with you...was there a financial impact? what was it? how did it go?
      1 Answer

IT Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied online on the amazon job portal. After filling all the details there and submitting the application, got just e-mail confirmation of receipt. The 4 weeks - no feedback. Checked status on-line - and I can see there only this status: "Move candidate to Amazon Hire (HM review)".

Interview Questions

• So no personal or phone interview did not take place yet.   1 Answer

IT Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Phone interview, then was flown in for one 1-1 and two panel type of interviews. Had a second phone interview two weeks later. Basically spoke to 11 different people throughout the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with a difficult employee or had difficult end users. Basically more behavioral type of questions than anything.   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2010.

Interview

A phone screen was set up via email with HR. Phone screen occurred within the week and was detailed but friendly.