Amazon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

7,093 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Step 1:
    Got an email from Amazon recruiter that they saw my profile matching with their requirement and interested to see whether am willing to proceed with interview process. I said why not, as Amazon in one of my dream company to join with. I replied back with all required details and resume.

Step 2:
    After one week I got an email for first phone interview. Which was technical round. The guy who interviewed me was senior development engineer and interview went for 1 hour. It was perfectly planned and he was very nice guy and has experience in taking interview for sure.

Step 3:
    After one week from first phone interview, i got an email stating, they liked talking with me and willing to proceed with second phone interview. I have replied and they scheduled me second technical phone interview in a week. Now, Senior technical project/program manager took the interview and it was really interactive and went very smooth. It was more of behavior and scenario related questions and he helped here and there to provide the lead to answer. It was only for 40 mins as that manager was busy with some other important work to do. But it was great. He informed me right away that he liked me and he will ask recruiter to schedule next round as a pure technical.

Step 4:
    After 5 days, I got an email for Final Phone interview, and this will be pure technical. I provided my availability. In meantime when I was waiting for final phone interview, I got an email stating they willing to fly me to Seattle amazon.com office for in person interview. There you go.

Step 5:
    All arrangements done in 2 days and I flew to their office for in person interview. There were totally 6 interviews, each 45 mins. In between there was one lunch meeting with manager from different team. All interviewers were very cool and process oriented. I studied many reviews and comments from glass door and other websites. But its not really that bad as they have pointed out. Amazon has a process to note each and every word you say to decide your ability. So I don't think their activity to type what you say while the interview in process is bad at all, because they are recording it for future decision. So I really agree they have their process which is working well for them and I felt good. Most of the questions were behavior, given scenario, your past experience, technical, design, architecture related. It started at 9:30 and ended at 4 PM with 5 mins break between some interview.

Overall it was great experience to me.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Basic target selection questions, STAR. Called for interview at FC. Interview lasted roughly 40 minutes. Well organized and flowed great. Asked about a process change I helped implement and the simple math question of 38 hourly with 2 indirect employees. Added how many people would be needed if one wanted 10000 more units.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Had three rounds in total. I am a new grad. The first round was a debugging challenge with a quantitative test. The first round was pretty simple and anyone can clear that. The second round is a work simulation round and three coding challenge questions. This round was for 4 hours in total. A third party agency conducts this test for Amazon. Till now you wont interact with any of the SDE from amazon. The third round is an onsite where you need to work on a group assesment.

Interview Questions

• Debugging questions will be of 7 questions for 21 minutes. Ex: An array will be sorted in descending you need to change the code to sort it in ascending.   2 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 1) Find the longest palindromic substring from the given string. No need of DP solution.   5 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 2) You will be given N number of points as an array (CPPoint class). CPPoint class will have x and y coordinate. Find the closest k number of points from the origin.   4 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 3) You are given a linkedlist with next and arbitary pointers. Create a new linkedlist similar to the given linkedlist. You need to create a code for deep copy of a linkedlist.   7 Answers
    • Onsite Group Assesment. 1) Each team will be given three different answers for the same question. The question was to identify the best item in a given set of items. There will another point to note in the question if Item A is better than Item B and item B better than Item C, it does not mean item a is better than Item C. (Non transitive property). The goal is to identify the best solution by discussing with your team mates.   1 Answer
    • 2) This is the most important task in the group assesment where I think I would have failed. You will be given a code base with 30 Java files. There will be three milestones. Milestone 1) You need to find a way to map the products to shipping centers. The question was vague and I cant remember it exactly. This mapping can be done by identifying the cost of shipping for each area. Cost can in turn be calculated based on four different factors like air shipping, ground shipping and few others. Based on the customer requirement you need to make the products to shipping areas and return a list of product ids and their shipping cost list.   3 Answers
    • Milestone 2) Will ask to optimize by reducing the number of unfulfilled orders. The apis will be confusing and you will have two interviews during the coding session.   9 Answers

Seller Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Tempe, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

S.T.A.R. technique questioning which seems to be standard the standard technique used in interviews at this time. I am sure that everyone has had their share of experience with this interviewing style.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had to go above and beyond to satisfy a client?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Honolulu, HI) in February 2017.

Interview

Made it through the 1st round which involved a 45-minute phone interview. The phone interview consisted of behavioral and case questions. It is key to answer your questions and hint towards one of their leadership principles.

Interview Questions

• If you had to put a cap on Amazon sellers, what would it be and how would you measure results?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

After my application was accepted, I was asked to participate in a virtual interview through HireVue which consisted of only five questions. Essentially, I video recorded my answers on my laptop. Each question has a time limit of about 3 minutes, but you can take as much time as you need to prepare because you are allowed unlimited recordings before submitting your final answers.

Interview Questions

• What are you doing in your current position to develop your employees?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time that you solved a complex problem with a simple solution.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had a disagreement with your boss. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you failed. What did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you had to confront someone for poor performance.   Answer Question

Associate Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

2 phone interviews and 1 all day in person interview. They were all difficult but I studied and felt prepared. Everyone that interviewed me was quite caring and seemed to enjoy the process and our discussion. Didn't hear back for a few weeks afterwards so assumed that they passed which was frustrating as I thought I deserved at least an email saying "No thanks!" seeing as I had invested 8+ hours in interview time. Finally, recruiter got back into touch with me saying they were moving forward with another candidate but were working out another opportunity for me and would have an offer within a week. That was 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since. Seeing as I had sent a follow up email I am sure that this time they have moved forward and have long since forgotten about me. This isn't unusual for amazon and although they're busy, I had made it clear I was putting my job search on hold for them. At the very least email someone and keep them abreast of the situation. It's not only professional but common courtesy. Alas, my complaint will be drowned out among the sea of happy newly hired associates and amazon will remain the large and thriving company they have come to be... HR flaws and all.

MBA Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Online assessment which consisted of business and work place cases where you had to explain what you would do in that certain situation, how you would handle it or react

Interview Questions

• Business and work case scenarios   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Rochester, NY).

Interview

Decent. Not difficult. Can crack it very easy, keep data structures strong you'll be good. They are pretty quick in the whole process, and the result is immediately given within 2 days. So, all in all, a pretty chill and easy interview process.

Interview Questions

• Basic general java questions.   1 Answer

Language Data Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

A lot of details were asked about my projects. Mostly behavioral questions related to my professional experiences. The interviewer was very nice and patient, and took a lot of notes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you have to dig into the details to solve a problem   1 Answer