Amazon Data Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Data Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Too long enough for HR to reach out to me, but no HR screening interview, jump straight into a technical interview. After technical interview, I am not interested in further steps.

Interview Questions

• Typical Data Engineer questions with technical questions specifically about Python, mostly detail coding.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Extremely disappointed with the over process and the approach of the interviewers.
    This was the second time in 4 years I had applied and hoped for a better experience but unfortunately no.

***************
    The first time I was repeatedly interrupted while answering questions and i felt a bit of an ego issue where the interviewer was only willing to hear what his approach of a solution was and there was no update whatsoever after that , not even an email stating I was rejected.
    **************

****************************
    This time I though It might be better but it wasn't. Its a surprise a company as big as amazon can not have a defined recruitment process , I was approached by a recruiter online and was asked if I was interested in applying for a few open roles. I was and I went ahead by sharing my profile.

No one explained what the process would be , I was asked to respond to a small questionnaire and then got an email for a technical discussion . the person taking the interview had no idea what position I was applying for , neither he knew if I had done the questionnaire.
    After this discussion I was told that I would be getting another call for a technical discussion.
    This time the interviewer asked a few SQL questions but was not willing to take answers rather kept saying , can you solve it by a different way.Anyway this was done and then I get an email that I there would be 3rd technical discussion. Again this time as well the interviewer had no idea what position or department i was being interviewed for and asked a few SQL questions that I answered.

A few days later got an email that they are considering other for the role.
    Although I was disappointed by being rejected , I was more pissed off with the entire process where i feel amazon team is just going through the interview process without knowing what they need and how to evaluate people.
    ***************************

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview started with job description and duties to perform in the team if selected
    Interviewer then questions on current work roles & responsibilities
    Questions on Databases
    Questions on Datawarehouse concepts
    Questions on Performance Tuning
    After that asked SQL technical questions

Interview Questions

• 1. What difference have you made in current team apart from regular work ?
      2. What are the steps you follow to rebuild a table in database ?
      3. How did you do performance tuning ?
      4. How do you find the skewness of data in table ?
      5. Difference between RDBMS and Dimensional Modeling

3 222 1 01/05/2017
      3 222 1 01/06/2017
      3 111 1 01/06/2017
      3 111 1 01/04/2017

Q: How many customers bought each product how many times during the week?

Product_Id Number_of Customers Number_of_Times

1 20 2
      1 15 3
      1 30 4

Q.
      a) How do you print the usage_amount of previous/consecutive rows
      b) Without using window functions
      1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was well coordinated by a recruiter. Recruiter informed priorly what expected in the interview. Interview started with my current experience and then BI questions. Then interviewer started asking Data warehouse questions. I haven't informed to expect DW questions. So, i failed to answer to the full extent. Then asked some SQL coding. Interview was quite cool except DWH questions

Interview Questions

• Asked real-time BI questions and 3 SQL queried and basics of DWH   Answer Question

Data Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Interview process has initial phone screening , data challenge , technical phone screen followed by onsite technical interview.
    Initial phone screening has behavioral questions, your background related questions and few basic math questions.
    Data Challenge was not easy. They give you data set , a business problem and one week of time to solve it. Need to provide your opinion about the problem. Challenge has coding in Python or R or any statistical language , data visualization , your observations about data (data quality) , your suggestions on improvements to be done to metadata , checks that are to be imposed on data.
    After these technical onsite screening.
    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to clear data challenge step.

Interview Questions

• How to export data in json format ? (From my coding experience)   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through employee referral. I got phone screen after 1 week.
    The phone screen took 1 hour. 40 mins on SQL problem, asking you write code on a code link.

Interview Questions

• The interview was highly focused SQL questions such as finding the third high, finding the newest one.   2 Answers
    • Tell me one difficulty you met in your experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The first round is phone interview where the interviewer asked behavioural questions and then two SQL queries related to joins, date formats on two tables. Prepare mySQL queries well and the questions on glassdoor. The interviewer was really nice and helpful throughout in the process. Big data and analytics questions like how will you handle the data if multiplied may be asked.

Interview Questions

• SQL query to calculate orders for last week when the date when it was ordered is given.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Had one round of interview on the phone. Questions were average to very difficult. Some questions revolved around creating an ER diagram for a library management system. There also questions on ETL design and architecture and basic SQL queries. Had answered all questions and even gave multiple approaches for many questions. But still didn't qualify for the next round of interview. AM not sure what they are looking for. Even the interviewer was very much interested and wanted to talk more but because the conference room was booked by someone else he had to leave and said they will call back. But there was no reply for two weeks and only after I followed up they emailed me the "you are not selected" template. Not sure what they are looking for. There are so many Amazon open opportunities flashing on every job websites, but all my past experiences with them has been so bad that I hesitate to apply.

Interview Questions

• Why do want to change your job?   1 Answer

Big Data Cloud Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

I recently had my third technical interview lasted for 1 hr and the interviewer was very friendly and guided me by providing hints if I got stuck somewhere while answering the questions.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions related to big data but in depth like working of components i.e.what is namenode and if the replication factor is 3 how will you figure out what is happening inside the hdfs when you are trying to write something in hdfs etc.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2016.

Interview

Phone Screen Interview
    Asked questions on current work roles & responsibilities.
    Dimension Modeling
    Datawarehouse ETL concepts
    SQL technical questions

Interview Questions
    1. Data Modeling: Design data model in order to track product from Vendor => Amazon warehouse => delivery to customer?
    2. Multiple ways to generate running totals using select query?
    3. Approaches on performance tuning ?
    4. How to insert data in DWH tables for early arriving facts?

Interview Questions

• Interview Questions
      1. Data Modeling: Design data model in order to track product from Vendor => Amazon warehouse => Customer delievery ?
      2. Multiple ways to generate running totals using select query?
      3. Approaches on performance tuning ?
      4. How to insert data in DWH tables for early arriving facts?
      Answer Question