Amazon Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

4,250 Interview Reviews

3.3

4,250 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

An online quiz and then a phone interview. The online quiz wasn't very hard. It tested basic computer science knowledge. The phone interview was slightly harder but it was basically data structures and algorithm questions. They give you an online editor and you type responses into it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Had three rounds in total. I am a new grad. The first round was a debugging challenge with a quantitative test. The first round was pretty simple and anyone can clear that. The second round is a work simulation round and three coding challenge questions. This round was for 4 hours in total. A third party agency conducts this test for Amazon. Till now you wont interact with any of the SDE from amazon. The third round is an onsite where you need to work on a group assesment.

Interview Questions

• Debugging questions will be of 7 questions for 21 minutes. Ex: An array will be sorted in descending you need to change the code to sort it in ascending.   1 Answer
    • Coding Challenge 1) Find the longest palindromic substring from the given string. No need of DP solution.   4 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 2) You will be given N number of points as an array (CPPoint class). CPPoint class will have x and y coordinate. Find the closest k number of points from the origin.   1 Answer
    • Coding Challenge 3) You are given a linkedlist with next and arbitary pointers. Create a new linkedlist similar to the given linkedlist. You need to create a code for deep copy of a linkedlist.   6 Answers
    • Onsite Group Assesment. 1) Each team will be given three different answers for the same question. The question was to identify the best item in a given set of items. There will another point to note in the question if Item A is better than Item B and item B better than Item C, it does not mean item a is better than Item C. (Non transitive property). The goal is to identify the best solution by discussing with your team mates.   1 Answer
    • 2) This is the most important task in the group assesment where I think I would have failed. You will be given a code base with 30 Java files. There will be three milestones. Milestone 1) You need to find a way to map the products to shipping centers. The question was vague and I cant remember it exactly. This mapping can be done by identifying the cost of shipping for each area. Cost can in turn be calculated based on four different factors like air shipping, ground shipping and few others. Based on the customer requirement you need to make the products to shipping areas and return a list of product ids and their shipping cost list.   3 Answers
    • Milestone 2) Will ask to optimize by reducing the number of unfulfilled orders. The apis will be confusing and you will have two interviews during the coding session.   9 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

First round was debugging and logical reasoning test. 7 debugging questions in 21 minutes and around 20 logical reasoning in 35 minutes. It was pretty easy.
    Second round too was an online assessment which consisted of a work simulation exercise, in which you would act as a software engineer in the company and provide your input in different situations. The time limit was 2 hrs.
    The next round consisted of 3 coding questions of medium difficulty level. Easy to crack them with good knowledge of data structures. Each question had about 30mins of time.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

2 online assessments, followed by phone interview.
    1st assessment was one hour and consisted of debugging and MCQs.
    2nd assessment was 70 minutes and consisted of 2 coding questions.
    Phone interview was 45 minutes and consisted of more coding and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, so I will not post the questions.   6 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Started with the standard 2 online rounds. Didn't ace the technical questions on the second round but made it to the onsites anyway.

At no point in the process did I actually get to speak with the recruiter. All communication was seemingly through computer-generated emails and your responses seem to go into some digital black hole. My onsite interview was delayed twice after the spot I asked for "filled up" despite answering the email within 5 minutes. When my interview finally scheduled I had to send many urgent emails because I was not contacted in order to schedule flights until 2 days before my interview.

I had the "group" interview in Seattle. The group portion only lasts a few minutes, the rest of the time you're coding on your own. An engineer speaks to you for about 15 minutes at the end. I could hardly understand the engineer I was paired with, he had a very think accent and was very quite so that made communication difficult. Finally, getting my results took OVER A MONTH which is, frankly, unacceptable. I've interviewed at many companies large and small and no one has ever taken anything close to that amount of time.

My interview experience gave the impression that Amazon doesn't really care about you as an individual, you're just a part in their machine. The entire process was shockingly impersonal.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The interviewer was nice, he introduced himself. He asked me a couple of behavioral questions. Then some basic data-structure questions about arrays, linked-lists, hash-tables etc. Then he presented me with a coding problem that I had to code on a virtual white-board.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions were asked about how I handled times where I had to miss deadlines.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

VERY unprofessional interview process.

I applied with a referral in December and got an invitation to take a 7 question debugging and 24 question reasoning test. 2 days later I was invited to take a 2 coding question test. 2-3 weeks later I received an invitation to the final round phone interview. I was given about a range of a week for possible phone interview days, the last day of which was a Wednesday. I picked many available hours on each of those days, and specified that I had an exploding offer the very Thursday after that Wednesday, so that I preferred an interview ASAP. They picked my interview to be the very last day, Wednesday.

Wednesday comes, and 15 minutes after my interview was supposed to start, I get an email that my interviewer has cancelled on me. Again, I have an exploding offer on Thursday so I end up rescheduling for later that same day. 20 minutes after my NEW interview was supposed to start, I finally get a call from my interviewer. That is 20 minutes that I lose off my my total interview time because my interviewer had to be punctual to his next interview, because for some reason it wasn't important to be punctual to mine. The cherry on top was that there was constant static on the phone and my interviewer couldn't even see what I typed and had to disconnect and reconnect constantly because of technical problems on his end. Got the rejection email 1 week later.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

First they send you a debugging test. Then you will have a phone interview. Questions are not too difficult. Be comfortable with frequent questions from any source like leetcode, careercup or geeksforgeeks. be ready to explain time complexity and test cases.

Interview Questions

• A question on arrays. It needed Binary Search algorithm.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied online at Amazon.com around October 2016. I received the first coding assessment in late December. After passing the debug section with 7/7 and doing pretty well on the logic questions, I received the second assessment the following day.

The second assessment consisted of two coding questions. Think LeetCode Easy. After getting 18/18 for test cases on the first problem and 14/18 for test cases on the second, a recruiter reached out to me wanting to set up a 45 minute phone interview. I've heard if you do well enough on the second assessment you can receive an offer right away without needing a phone interview.

The phone interview was your pretty typical technical screen. I was asked to complete two coding problems and explain the time complexity for each of my algorithms. The interviewer then modified the problems a bit and I had to adjust accordingly. These problems I would also consider to be LeetCode Easy/Medium. I thought I didn't do well enough on the phone interview, but nevertheless received an offer in my email a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA. Think LeetCode Easy/Medium.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as it is for an internship, but