Amazon Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

4,382 Interview Reviews

3.2

4,382 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

An online quiz and then a phone interview. The online quiz wasn't very hard. It tested basic computer science knowledge. The phone interview was slightly harder but it was basically data structures and algorithm questions. They give you an online editor and you type responses into it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Had three rounds in total. I am a new grad. The first round was a debugging challenge with a quantitative test. The first round was pretty simple and anyone can clear that. The second round is a work simulation round and three coding challenge questions. This round was for 4 hours in total. A third party agency conducts this test for Amazon. Till now you wont interact with any of the SDE from amazon. The third round is an onsite where you need to work on a group assesment.

Interview Questions

• Debugging questions will be of 7 questions for 21 minutes. Ex: An array will be sorted in descending you need to change the code to sort it in ascending.   2 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 1) Find the longest palindromic substring from the given string. No need of DP solution.   5 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 2) You will be given N number of points as an array (CPPoint class). CPPoint class will have x and y coordinate. Find the closest k number of points from the origin.   3 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 3) You are given a linkedlist with next and arbitary pointers. Create a new linkedlist similar to the given linkedlist. You need to create a code for deep copy of a linkedlist.   7 Answers
    • Onsite Group Assesment. 1) Each team will be given three different answers for the same question. The question was to identify the best item in a given set of items. There will another point to note in the question if Item A is better than Item B and item B better than Item C, it does not mean item a is better than Item C. (Non transitive property). The goal is to identify the best solution by discussing with your team mates.   1 Answer
    • 2) This is the most important task in the group assesment where I think I would have failed. You will be given a code base with 30 Java files. There will be three milestones. Milestone 1) You need to find a way to map the products to shipping centers. The question was vague and I cant remember it exactly. This mapping can be done by identifying the cost of shipping for each area. Cost can in turn be calculated based on four different factors like air shipping, ground shipping and few others. Based on the customer requirement you need to make the products to shipping areas and return a list of product ids and their shipping cost list.   3 Answers
    • Milestone 2) Will ask to optimize by reducing the number of unfulfilled orders. The apis will be confusing and you will have two interviews during the coding session.   9 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

First round was debugging and logical reasoning test. 7 debugging questions in 21 minutes and around 20 logical reasoning in 35 minutes. It was pretty easy.
    Second round too was an online assessment which consisted of a work simulation exercise, in which you would act as a software engineer in the company and provide your input in different situations. The time limit was 2 hrs.
    The next round consisted of 3 coding questions of medium difficulty level. Easy to crack them with good knowledge of data structures. Each question had about 30mins of time.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

45 minutes phone interview.
    I was asked 1 coding question and was coding on the shared document with the interviewer. 1 behavioral question were asked which was about the past experience on testing.
    The interviewer was quite nice and able to guide me through my small mistakes in code.

Onsite interview with 5-6 interviewers (HR, hiring manager, dev manager, engineers.)
    Studying "Cracking coding interview" was pretty helpful. Technical questions onsite mainly focused on String manipulation: how to find the first non-repetitive characters in the String, etc. I used HashMap in java to solve most of the problems.
    A lot of behavioral questions asking about how you deal with conflicts, lead a project, etc.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

A programming challenge followed by 4 1 hour in person rounds. They flew me in to Seattle, checked me in to a down town hotel. 1 System design and 3 coding rounds. Each interviewer asked a few behavioral questions. 2 days later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered the salary I asked for. I negotiated the signing bonus and rsus.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Nothing about you but all about if you can code the way they wanted. No personality question, no human interaction in general until the final round where its still very minimal.

Interview Questions

• Just coding. If you do well in most of your programming classes, you should be fine. Though they definitely ask about your DSA so be prepared for that.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Too long enough for HR to reach out to me, but no HR screening interview, jump straight into a technical interview. After technical interview, I am not interested in further steps.

Interview Questions

• Typical Data Engineer questions with technical questions specifically about Python, mostly detail coding.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Got online assessment after they came to campus, there are 2 online assessments, coding and logics, 1 phone interview, entire process took one month, easy to normal technical interview questions

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied online and in person in September/October, received an email in January asking me to complete a basic logic/debugging challenge, received a followup to complete a code challenge, had final interview over the phone in mid-February on technical skills. Generally seemed to be disconnected, but once I was contacted about the first challenge it was quick.

Interview Questions

• Basic algorithms and data structures questions.   1 Answer