Amazon Executive Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Executive Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jan 24, 2017

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was notified via email for a request to phone interview and asked what date and times worked for me. After replying, I received an email, pretty quickly, advising I had a phone interview that week. The next day, I had another phone interview. I was told I would be hearing back from them with regards to going forward or not. The next day I received an email inviting me to an all-day panel interview the following week. It seemed very streamlined and quick.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a mistake and how you went about telling your supervisor about it and how it was handled.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

First phone interview with an Amazon recruiter. Completed an online assessment (about 30 minutes). Second and third phone interviews with current EAs. Invited to onsite 1/2 day of in-person interviews. Took 4 hours to be interviewed by 5 Amazon employees (2 executives and 3 EAs), plus lunch with 2 EAs. Received an offer within 24 hours, which was expedited from the normal 2-3 days because I had another pending offer.

Interview Questions

• Mostly situational, looking for specific examples from your work experience that matches their 12 Leadership Principles. You receive documents from your recruiter to help you prepare in advance. Recommend allowing several days to study and write out your answers!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

You have to have a HUGE amount of patience for this company. I have been applying on line at Amazon for a year, then a college of mine that works for Amazon recommended me for a few positions and I finally got called. I don't think I would have even received a call if not for him recommitting me. I waited over 2 MONTHS for the actual in person interview from the initial phone screening. I was emailed initially an offer to have a phone interview with a recruiter, the next day she called then told me she was going to keep me in mind when an EA position opened and to NOT interview with any other Amazon positions while I went through the process as it was in bad taste. I waited another week and got an email from a separate recruiter asking for another phone interview. I emailed her back telling her I was in the process of interviewing for an EA position and I was told that it is in bad taste to interview multiple positions. She informed me she was another recruiter for the team. There was a total of 4 phone screening interviews before I landed the in person interview. I then had to do a personality test and basic computer skill test that was emailed to me, simple enough. I got a call the following day and I was told that initially I had been selected for an in person interview, then apparently they promoted an Amazon employee. I was disappointed, but I was informed by the recruiter that she had 2 other positions she wanted to present me for. I was called a week later and told the original position was back open as the person they promoted from within, didn't work out. She said I had to come in to interview for the original position before she could present me to the other positions. I said that was fine, and finally scheduled my in person interview. She ensured me that even if I didn't get this position, she had 2 other positions and for me not to worry as I would definitely be working at Amazon. I was told by the recruiter to study the Amazon Principles and come up with real life work examples where I have applied the Principles in past work experiences. Do not walk in and waste your time if you don't have a lot of examples prepared. I was lead to a conference room where I would stay the entire day, except for leaving for a lunch break with an Amazon employee. I went in for my interviews and met with 4 of the 5 interviewers.The interviews were 45 minutes long each, The interviews I felt went really well, I was asked basic and situational questions. I gave thoughtful answers and gave different examples from past work experiences instead of giving the same answer to each interviewer. The interviewers made sure to remind me not to give the same answer (even though I didn't) as a lot of their questions are repeated. I was taken to lunch by an Amazon employee, which is also an interview- don't be fooled that its not.

Interview Questions

• The last interviewer did not show up.I was called by the recruiter, and apparently she was on vacation and didn't get the memo we were supposed to meet. Again I was flexible with re-scheduling the meeting. She said she couldn't disclose the feedback, but she emphasized it was going really really well, and to keep up my enthusiasm and to keep working my magic on the last interviewer. I was sent over the basic benefits and stock package, I was so confident I had the job, I stopped looking for other positions and put all of my effort into just this position. I was told the re-scheduled meeting would be a phone interview with a past EA, and then one hour before, on the day of the scheduled meeting I got a call saying that it would actually be the person who was on vacation, that they were back now. I felt this was very unprofessional, but as being flexible is a principle at Amazon, I said again, no problem. The phone interviewer called me 10 minutes late, they didn't even apologize for calling late, and immediately this person was extremely rude, cutting me off telling me they didn't have time for my long answers to their questions, as they had meetings after this. I immediately knew that the interview was not going well. I had been recommended by an Amazon employee for this position and the interviewer asked me for his name and position and why he hadn't recommended me for that team as I'd be a much better fit over there. Extremely rude and condescending. I have over 10+ years in the Admin/EA field, and I did not appreciate how rude this person was considering how flexible I had been during this entire 2 month process. I received a call from the recruiter 2 days later saying they had to all meet to compare notes, and I would get a call that Friday with the results. On Friday I was called and told it would be next Tuesday or Wednesday as one of the interviewers was out of the office. I understand Amazon has a strict hiring policy, but I felt I was jerked around quite a bit. I was called on Wednesday and told I did not get the job and that they had promoted someone else from within Amazon (again). After getting that call I called up the other recruiter to ask her about the other 2 positions she had for me, and I was told that "she would keep my resume in mind if anything matched in the future". It was a complete 180 turn around. I have read on other forums that if 1 person in the interview cycle doesn't like you, then they will not hire you. I don't know if this is true or not, but after getting the initial feed back that was so positive from the recruiter, I truly felt I had the job, and would have been a great asset to the Amazon team. I'm not sure if it was the recruiter that was just fluffing me up or if it was the last interviewer, but after all that effort I put in, it was extremely frustrating for me- like cold water on my face. Now I'm back to square one sending out my resume. I really enjoyed visiting the building and getting to experience the culture, and wish a position could have worked out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview included a 30 min ute phone screen followed by a 6-hour interview block with 5 back-to-back interviews and an informal interview lunch. The day also included a 15-minute break, however I was left in the conference room and not taken to a break area with a water fountain and restroom.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about earning trust?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Interviews were extensive but not unpleasant. I three phone interviews starting with the recruiter and then moved forward with the hiring managers and directors of the department. After about a week, I was scheduled for an in person interview where I met 5 individuals from the team which included the directors I would be supporting.

Interview Questions

• Questions are heavily focused on Amazon core values.   1 Answer

Executive Assistant, AWS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Several phone screens and interviews over the course of a month and 1/2, culminating with an in-house day of interviews with various members of the team and/or others with a similar role in the company.

Do your homework (learn the Leadership Principles backwards and forwards!), practice your answers, be specific and exacting in your details, and you should do fine. There is a reason they are so rigorous in their hiring practices. I believe it's because they want to hire the best. Weeding out candidates who can't hack that level of excellence, or the super fast pace of life at Amazon when you get hired, is a great mechanism to ensure this. While the process was super lengthy and exhausting, I was hugely impressed with everyone I spoke to, from start to finish and at all levels. Greatly appreciated the opportunity to interview there. While I was ultimately not hired for the position I interviewed for, I was NOT ruled out for other current openings with the same job title elsewhere in the company. Feel that my preparation paid off, if for that reason alone.

Interview Questions

• Amazon is very focused on their Leadership Principles, especially re: their obsession w/ their customers. There are fourteen Leadership Principles, and you really need know at least four or five with specific examples of how/where/when you've applied that principle in your past job experiences. You will be asked to do this over and over as you go through the process.   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Very concise and to the point. Definitely weeding out the non performers from the leaders of the pack based on interview style/questions. Made me question if I was answering correctly despite my comfort level with my skills as an EA. Left unsure of myself and/or the result of the interview afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Please give a demonstrated example of how you handled a task you dreaded.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

Went through two phone interviews with recruiters. About a week later I took a personality test. The next day I has an email to set up another phone interview with three other executive assistants. Each call was about an hour long. The whole process and interviews took about a month.

Interview Questions

• "What would your perfect boss be like to allow your strongest talents show?" Then after you answered that question they would ask you " What would you do if your boss have characteristics that allowed your characteristics to shine"   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Everything you've heard about the Amazon interview process is true. It's challenging -- Will test your skill set and push you to provide quality, thorough, well-thought out answers. You will need to study for this. In return-- you need to ask a lot of questions as well. Grill them as hard, if not harder then you. I pushed back on quite a bit of the answers from my bar raiser. I strategically asked about work life balance, as well as what's the most challenging aspect of working for the company.

I wasn't even considered for the interview until I was internally referred (even with my 6+ EA experience!) so don't be disappointed if you don't hear back. Recruiters work differently in each area and their processes vary. I've heard numerous times that Amazon brings people in at a level or two lower then what they are actually qualified for, so keep that in mind as well.

The interview is a gauntlet of sorts which will test everything that you know about yourself and your skill set. Amazon wants the best and the brightest and they aren't afraid to lose some good people in the Interview process. Stay cool, calm, and collected during your loop and provide hard core facts and DATA on what you have done in your current role. For an EA job, they're not only looking to see how you fit the job description, but they want to see if you're a good mesh for the managers you're supporting and their team, but the close knit group of EA's.

The one downside is there is absolutely no wiggle room for any sort of compensation offer in any way, What they offer you is what you get. You need to be honest with what you would expect them to give you if/when they present an offer.

In the end, know that even if there's no offer-- I'd be surprised if you didn't learn a little bit more about yourself throughout the process

Interview Questions

• If they question's aren't challenging, then you aren't giving a good enough answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

Amazon has several screening portions of the interview process, beginning with an online skills assessment, and then followed up by 2 phone interviews; one with the recruiting manager, and another with someone from the department is hiring. I found the recruiters to be forthcoming with information about the positions, however when I directly inquired about aspects of the position regarding work/life balance, or how they viewed the recent negative press regarding work environments, it was obvious they were instructed to completely avoid answering even the most basic of questions on the matter. It left me disenchanted as a potential candidate, and I'm unsure if I will pursue a career there.

Interview Questions

• What software program has caused you the most frustration as an EA?   Answer Question