Amazon HR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon HR Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2017

3.3

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Interview

Here is the email I wrote to the Recruiter:

Thanks for the update.

I do need to relay that the process to get to know a candidate seemed rigid and didn't allow for an experience where it would leave me wanting to keep pursuing an opportunity there.

I felt more like a number than a person and didn't really feel like Amazon wanted to know about the person, rather than just check the boxes to qualify on your side.

I know every process has ways to improve and maybe Amazon feels this is the best approach for them, but just taking note as an HR professional that truly cares about the employee and customer experience - this didn't leave me feeling very positive.

Interview Questions

• What is the size and scope of how you influence   1 Answer

Human Resources Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I was asked to apply online. Once I did, I was contacted about an interview. They asked a few phone questions and told me right away that I would be receiving details for travel. They flew us out, and there were two 45 minute interviews. I had just interviewed with another company two days before, and had anticipated a difficult choice. Unfortunately, I left that interview vowing never to work at Amazon. When asked about their culture, the interviewer said that the last team that didn't get along was completely let go. ALL OF THEM. There was no retraining, mentoring, or transfers. I asked if there were to see how it was handled, but they didn't handle the conflict at all. They just fired everyone. The interviewer outright insulted me, and cursed in another candidate's interview. When I said I was motivated by challenging work, they said I would regularly be given 3 week projects and be expected to have them done in 2-3 days. That's not challenging. That's unrealistic expectations and overworking your employees. There was more, but those were the biggest ones. Very unprofessional and rude.

Interview Questions

• If you and another supervisor disagreed on how to handle something, what would you tell the person involved in the conflict?   1 Answer

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Interview

Amazon Recruiters were blasting a Networking Event all over LinkedIn for HR positions in Chicagoland. However, when I tried to connect and get the location, I was ignored and then ultimately denied because my "current title" wasn't what they wanted. Very short-sighted and unprofessional. Experience is much more important than title. Any progressive organization should know this. Disappointed in Amazon and its "brand."

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn who told me about the position. I applied and received an email about flying out to D.C. for an interview the following week. The whole interview process took about 3 hours (two interviews in one day). The majority of the questions in the first interview were behavioral questions. The second interview was a case study where I had to explain what I would do in a hypothetical situation. The interviews were challenging, but doable as long as you take the time to study the information they provide and prepare answers ahead of time. The entire process from application to offer letter took about three weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with a supervisor.   1 Answer
    • How do you earn trust with you coworkers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn to apply online. I submitted my application on a Friday and heard back six days later regarding the opportunity for an interview that would take place in a week. I looked on Glassdoor and a lot of people said that for this role, they had two rounds of interviews- a phone screen/video interview and then a final. For me, I just had the final interview. Amazon booked my travel and they reimburse you for food/taxi expenses. The hotel was one street away from the interview location, which was extremely convenient. I was impressed with the speed of the whole process. I prepared a lot for the interview by doing my research on Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Google. You must know their leadership principles and be able to answer in STAR format. They want to see how to answer a question and relate it to your past experiences rather than memorizing something concrete. I would say the interview was much easier than I had anticipated. The environment was very calm and non-hostile. I was in a group with 7 other candidates and we were all split up to interview one on one with two different people. These are senior leaders in HR that work in different fulfillment centers. I had a wonderful time speaking with them and learning about the organization. Each interview took 45 minutes each, but they both felt like casual professional conversations. There is one case study involved, but it is not difficult. I would suggest pausing before you answer so you can process what you want to say. Do not ramble, but be specific and get to the point. Also, make sure you ask insightful questions at the end. They told me that I would hear back within five business days and I received an offer on the fifth day. The total compensation is very good for an entry-level position (salary, sign on payments, stock) but you just have to be okay with relocating nationwide.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Amazon?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when...?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn and within 48 hours of showing interest I was sent an email of questions to answer right away and then scheduling travel began. Communication between me and the recruiter was fast and informative. They do everything they can to keep you informed and prepare for the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Baltimore, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

telephone interview then in person interview I was scheduled for a telephone interview then an in person interview, they do not give any notice for in person interview. I received an email Thursday for an interview friday

Interview Questions

• What would you do to increase employee morale   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

They contacted me and set up an initial phone screening conversation with a senior recruiter. The conversation took about 45 minutes and the recruiter was fairly new to the company so she had limited knowledge.

Interview Questions

• What innovative initiative did you take a lead role in.   1 Answer

Human Resources/Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Initial interview was over the phone.
    Not good candidate experience, no feedback or even a common courtesy of we are not move forward with you. I find this to be completely inconsiderate.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

I was reached out to by a recruiter via LinkedIn and was told more about Amazon and the position. Once I applied, It took two months to hear back for next steps. I got an email to do a video interview which was fairly simple. STAR questions were asked throughout the video interview. After submitting the video, I didn't hear back for another two months since it was peak season for Amazon. I finally received an email that they wanted to interview me at one of there interview locations in the midwest. Everything was covered through amazon including meals, transportation, hotel, etc. throughout the travel time. On the day of the interview, we were all in one room while two recruiters introduced themselves and explain how the interviews will go. You will interview with two amazon employees that work in higher positions. The questions they asked are STAR Questions, fairly simple but some were a little difficult to answer. Once the interviews were finished, you are done and sent back home. They told us that the wait time to hear back is five business days. I heard back within three that I got the position. The process/communication was okay but at times, I had to email them multiple times to get my interviewed time set up.

Be yourself throughout the entire interview but also be professional and answer your questions to the best of your ability. They want a logical answer versus the "right" answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult manager.   1 Answer