Amazon Human Resources Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Human Resources Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

3.3

Human Resources/Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Initial interview was over the phone.
    Not good candidate experience, no feedback or even a common courtesy of we are not move forward with you. I find this to be completely inconsiderate.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

I received an email response from my resume submission asking a few questions. After my responses I received a request for a phone interview. Several days later a request for in person interviews. Recruiters were responsive and informative. In person interviews were 4 back to back interviews with different interviewers. I received follow up from recruiters after my interviews and currently waiting to receive feedback. They said it would take 3-5 business days. Great process!

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview questions.   1 Answer

Human Resource Business Parter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Process took 6 weeks. I was referred by a current HRBP and received a response from a recruiter the next day. I did an initial phone call with the recruiter, but then the opening I was originally interviewing for was cancelled - so she passed my resume on to another recruiter. I then did an interview with an HR leader, and was invited to on sites. My on site consisted of a facility tour, then 5 consecutive 45 min sessions with Site Leaders and HR Leaders. There were other candidates there rotating through the interview sessions as well, for other HR openings. I also had another phone interview the day after my on sites.

Overall - recruiters are responsive, and do a good job of prepping you for interviews, I liked the variety of people that we got to interview with - which is helpful if you bomb one, you have 3 or 4 others to recover in.

Interview Questions

• Pay attention through the tour, as you can pick up a fair amount of context and help you formulate questions to ask later. I was asked about my observations and if I would suggest any improvements to the center.   Answer Question

Human Resources Senior Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was quick and easy. They provide you with a ton of information to prepare for the interview. The leadership principles are key. Make sure you study those before your interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

I was reached out to by a recruiter via LinkedIn and was told more about Amazon and the position. Once I applied, It took two months to hear back for next steps. I got an email to do a video interview which was fairly simple. STAR questions were asked throughout the video interview. After submitting the video, I didn't hear back for another two months since it was peak season for Amazon. I finally received an email that they wanted to interview me at one of there interview locations in the midwest. Everything was covered through amazon including meals, transportation, hotel, etc. throughout the travel time. On the day of the interview, we were all in one room while two recruiters introduced themselves and explain how the interviews will go. You will interview with two amazon employees that work in higher positions. The questions they asked are STAR Questions, fairly simple but some were a little difficult to answer. Once the interviews were finished, you are done and sent back home. They told us that the wait time to hear back is five business days. I heard back within three that I got the position. The process/communication was okay but at times, I had to email them multiple times to get my interviewed time set up.

Be yourself throughout the entire interview but also be professional and answer your questions to the best of your ability. They want a logical answer versus the "right" answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

After passing through two phone screens, I was invited in for all day interviews. I felt great about the interviews and was positive about possibly receiving a job offer. I knew it took some time to hear back, so I didn't worry, but when it got to two weeks, I reached out to one of the three people who set up the interviews and was told "Oh, I'm so sorry, no one contacted you?" Then I was told that everyone really liked me, and thought I'd be great for Amazon but they were looking for one skiil in particular. I thought to myself, "then how did I get through two phone screens including one with a manager on the team for which I was interviewing and they thought I would be great? Also, during the all day interviews, I received only ONE question regarding the eventual skill in question. Very frustrating not to hear back and having to call myself. I put a lot of effort and time into this process. Either they really don't know what they want, or I seriously dodged a bullet by not working in that position. Also, no mechanism for internal referral to other open positions. Seems like a big waste of everyone's time. Amazon has such a difficult hiring process, and then people only stay an average of two years? Big waste of talent all the way around.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you received feedback that you didn't agree with?   1 Answer

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Hirevue - answered questions that the computer generated. You get two attempts per question, and after the second question, you can't review your answer. It's very imporant to answer questions using the STAR method.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was a huge fan of Amazon right up until this experience; not so much anymore. External recruiter was the primary contact. I was initially identified for one position and later referred for another. Both positions were a level lower than my current role, however the compensation was quoted as higher. Once I attended the in-person interviews, I learned the compensation was significantly lower both in annual base pay and incentives. For reference, the annual base salary is capped for everyone in the company. The first two years may be supplemented with sign-on bonuses to achieve a higher or more market relevant total compensation package. However, subsequent years are base salary and restricted stock. You have to be there five years for your restricted stock to fully vest. So, plan on having access to significantly less income if your current company pays you through a more traditional compensation method involving a higher base salary plus short and long term incentives. Also, plan on leaving a significant amount of money on the table if you leave Amazon prior to five years. Although Amazon stock is worth a considerable amount of money per share, it is variable; therefore, they will continue to rebalance your stock allocation because if your prior allocations put you over the expected total comp range they will not be issuing you more. The winners of this compensation method are Jeff Bezos and every Amazonian who has been with the company 10+ years. They have a lot of stock and it has significantly grown over time. The losers of this compensation method are all new people. Finally, be prepared during the interview for at least one person to suggest that your current company lacks complexity and that by default, you lack the sophistication to deal with their complexity. Whatever. You're Amazon, not heaven. I'm not selling my soul to be there nevertheless giving up title AND pay to deal with your "significantly higher complexity" (if there is such a thing).

Interviews were one on one throughout the day. Future peers were included as interviewers which seems like an inherent flaw for a Darwinian system. By default peers in the Amazon system would not select people of equal or higher caliber because they use rank ordering. The positive side of their process was that they were transparent about their culture. A neutral item in the process was their use of very standard behaviorally based interview questions. They have not learned how to interview conversationally yet so it still feels more like an interrogation.

The atmosphere was comparable to a student union building. The dress was very casual (jeans, t-shirts or button down plaid shirts, converse, little or no makeup for women) regardless of the level of position held by employees.The buildings were new and/or had been fully renovated.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond a customer's expectations?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted to do a virtual interview.

Round 1: Virtual interview through HireVue
    Round 2: Two phone interviews with a recruiter and Sr. HR Assistant

Got an offer 2 days after the final interviews, would encourage people interested to apply as early as possible. I applied in November and accepted my offer in January.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation for intern offers, pay is very good though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

A company that prides themselves in being at the vanguard of technology and innovation... their recruiting style is beyond broken. I can't phantom working in such a place. It's interesting to see the recruiters circle-jerck each other even thou they are clues of how to do the job. Advice - Get off linkedIn and you may find out qualified applicants.