Amazon Human Resources Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Human Resources Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2017

3.3

212 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

2 pre-screening interviews then onsite with 6 different interviewers. Do your research and come up with several examples for the Leadership Principles so you aren't repeating your answers. Interviewers will be assigned 2 or more of the principles and ask several questions with each principle in mind - this is why you need to have lots of examples that support the concept. Use data to support your answer, if you don't have data you won't succeed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you thought you were right but ultimately lost the argument?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Able to negotiate sign on and base

Human Resources Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Multiple, multiple interviews, expectation of work before even your first conversation, and aren't really interested in sharing info with you about the job or why you should want to work there. Ask a huge investment of your time, more than is reasonable. No one I talked with seemed to understand that other companies might do things differently than Amazon. Interviews were combative.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to support an unpopular decision   Answer Question

HR Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

The first several interviews are phone interviews. The recruiter asked good questions, one of them not surprisingly, was what I knew about Amazon. Another was a request to tell him something I am proud of in my professional experience. The entire process was handled professionally, and I was given timely feedback regarding the interview process, which was nice as I was not left hanging for long periods of time.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2017.

Interview

First contacted by a 'sourcer' via email. Unfortunately it took a month for him to respond back to my email with 'pre-screening' questions'. The response was asking me if we ever spoke about the position. After my interview with the sourcer, I interviewed wth another Sr HRBP which was a good experience.
    After being asked to save the date in the following month, I followed up as the date approached only to be told the position was filled with someone else who was further ahead in the process.
    I inquired about another position, which I was asked to save the date again.
    I travelled to the site, Amazon did put me up in a hotel the night prior, I really appreciated that due to the commute time and the interview times.
    I was scheduled to speak with 4 interviewers from 8-11am, and a follow up phone interview later that day.
    The on site interviews ran 2.5 hours over, and I was given the wrong phone number for my conference call.
    Unfortunately I did not connect with any of the HR interviewers, it seemed they were more interested in getting through the questions, and sticking to the schedule. All questions were behavioral. While questions from me were encouraged, some interviewers did not seem interested to provide answers.
    The process took three months, and the on site interview process could be streamlined. I don't believe that as many peers (I spoke with 3) should be involved in the process.
    While I did not receive an offer, I really did appreciate my recruiter getting back to me very quickly, and had told me when the process started that feedback would not be provided.
    Overall it appeared to me the 'Human' has been taken out of Human Resources.
    Great company, definitely focused on metrics, and innovation of the business. I did not get the feeling that HR was empowered to be innovative to engage the teams.

One last thing, the recruiter did send a lot of information regarding the interview, even an explanation of the STAR method, and stressed to focus on the leadership competencies, so in essence it is an open book test (minus the exact questions that will be asked).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a risk you took that failed miserably.
      Follow up question was What did you learn from this?   Answer Question

Senior Human Resource Assistant Interview

Interview

The interview process was awful. Their "formal" interview as a phone interview. The person that interviewed me clearly didn't want to do so. He stated that the HR was pulled away for a last minute meeting so he had to do it. He asked me 3 questions and that was it. I was told the interview would take 45 minutes and it lasted all of maybe 20 minutes. Awful experience.

HR Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Las Vegas, NV) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview was definitely different from other interviews I had. They had the typical questions, however they threw some curveballs at me to see my demeanor under stress and also my impromptu skills , but answered to the best of my ability.

Interview Questions

• What superhero or superpower would you have and why?   Answer Question
    • If you could choose 3 things to take on an island what would they be?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plainfield, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Plainfield, IN).

Interview

Applied online and recruiter sent me questions via an app on my iPad to record my answers to...the app let me re-record myself only once if I messed up my answer to the question.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Interview

Here is the email I wrote to the Recruiter:

Thanks for the update.

I do need to relay that the process to get to know a candidate seemed rigid and didn't allow for an experience where it would leave me wanting to keep pursuing an opportunity there.

I felt more like a number than a person and didn't really feel like Amazon wanted to know about the person, rather than just check the boxes to qualify on your side.

I know every process has ways to improve and maybe Amazon feels this is the best approach for them, but just taking note as an HR professional that truly cares about the employee and customer experience - this didn't leave me feeling very positive.

Interview Questions

• What is the size and scope of how you influence   1 Answer

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, via email and she asked to fill out a quick questionnaire. (This questionnaire was not quick, it had a little over 7 detailed questions ranging from payroll operations, HRIS systems, working in a manufacturing environment, excel V-LOOKUPS, and Pivot tables and etc.) She didn't provide any additional information regarding the role besides the job attachment, I thought this was a little strange since typically recruiters would just call instead of asking for replies via email. Next, she emailed me saying I passed the questionnaire and the manager wanted to schedule a phone interview.

After that, an HR Coordinator contacted me initially asking for my availability over the next week. However, this process took about 2-3 Weeks and the coordinator did not follow up with me, instead I was following up with her regarding my availability for each week. Finally, I did obtain an phone interview, I received one day notice to interview.

I finally had my phone interview, and the manager. He was very nice, very engaging. First, he mentioned he has only been with the company since April 2017, and he was very open about his past experiences. Then he told me about the role, since no one had explained this to me, prior to the interview. He then, turned the floor over to me to ask him some questions to break the ice. Finally, we started our interview. Overall, it did last the full 45-minutes. The manager asked me about my background, then he asked me four behavioral questions. However, during the interview I did began to get really nervous because the questions I had prepped for weren't questions he asked me. (i.e. Greatest accomplishment, biggest failure, how do you deal with stress, what makes you peculiar, time you lost someone’s trust, how'd you get it back. etc.) Instead they were very managerial, team oriented questions that exposed some areas I did not have experience in. However, I still answered the questions using the STAR interview method, and the floor opened up to more questions, he did answer them and was still very friendly and engaging. He ended the conversation indicating that I would have feedback or a next step in 5-7 business days. Finally, the interview concluded.

I then followed up with the Coordinator to explain that the interview went well overall. But a few questions caught me off guard and that I was nervous. She replied she would have feedback, and she would follow up with me. Afterwards, I looked into Amazon’s ATS and found that I was “reviewed, and not selected.” This was interesting to me, because right away, both knew I wasn’t being selected. However, no one followed up with or thought to give feedback. (This was within 2 hours of the interview.) The next day, I got a generic "you aren't selected" response.

Overall, I would say my experience from start to finish with Amazon wasn’t the best. It was a few cases where people dropped the ball including myself. However, the part about my entire experience is the person I interviewed with, I would recommend someone to interview for Amazon, and to study more out of the box managerial, team oriented situational questions, and not your standard behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Why Amazon?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when you were faced with criticism from a manager, and how did you take that criticism and apply to your everyday life?   1 Answer

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with internal recruiter; made me feel comfortable; though I did not get the job, I did receive a personal email from the recruiter. Overall, the experience was positive.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you came across difficulties in getting manager buy-in.   Answer Question