Amazon Human Resources Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

3.3

79 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Human Resource Assistant Interview

Interview

The interview process was awful. Their "formal" interview as a phone interview. The person that interviewed me clearly didn't want to do so. He stated that the HR was pulled away for a last minute meeting so he had to do it. He asked me 3 questions and that was it. I was told the interview would take 45 minutes and it lasted all of maybe 20 minutes. Awful experience.

Senior Human Resources Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, via email and she asked to fill out a quick questionnaire. (This questionnaire was not quick, it had a little over 7 detailed questions ranging from payroll operations, HRIS systems, working in a manufacturing environment, excel V-LOOKUPS, and Pivot tables and etc.) She didn't provide any additional information regarding the role besides the job attachment, I thought this was a little strange since typically recruiters would just call instead of asking for replies via email. Next, she emailed me saying I passed the questionnaire and the manager wanted to schedule a phone interview.

After that, an HR Coordinator contacted me initially asking for my availability over the next week. However, this process took about 2-3 Weeks and the coordinator did not follow up with me, instead I was following up with her regarding my availability for each week. Finally, I did obtain an phone interview, I received one day notice to interview.

I finally had my phone interview, and the manager. He was very nice, very engaging. First, he mentioned he has only been with the company since April 2017, and he was very open about his past experiences. Then he told me about the role, since no one had explained this to me, prior to the interview. He then, turned the floor over to me to ask him some questions to break the ice. Finally, we started our interview. Overall, it did last the full 45-minutes. The manager asked me about my background, then he asked me four behavioral questions. However, during the interview I did began to get really nervous because the questions I had prepped for weren't questions he asked me. (i.e. Greatest accomplishment, biggest failure, how do you deal with stress, what makes you peculiar, time you lost someone’s trust, how'd you get it back. etc.) Instead they were very managerial, team oriented questions that exposed some areas I did not have experience in. However, I still answered the questions using the STAR interview method, and the floor opened up to more questions, he did answer them and was still very friendly and engaging. He ended the conversation indicating that I would have feedback or a next step in 5-7 business days. Finally, the interview concluded.

I then followed up with the Coordinator to explain that the interview went well overall. But a few questions caught me off guard and that I was nervous. She replied she would have feedback, and she would follow up with me. Afterwards, I looked into Amazon’s ATS and found that I was “reviewed, and not selected.” This was interesting to me, because right away, both knew I wasn’t being selected. However, no one followed up with or thought to give feedback. (This was within 2 hours of the interview.) The next day, I got a generic "you aren't selected" response.

Overall, I would say my experience from start to finish with Amazon wasn’t the best. It was a few cases where people dropped the ball including myself. However, the part about my entire experience is the person I interviewed with, I would recommend someone to interview for Amazon, and to study more out of the box managerial, team oriented situational questions, and not your standard behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Why Amazon?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when you were faced with criticism from a manager, and how did you take that criticism and apply to your everyday life?   1 Answer

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Baltimore, MD) in June 2017.

Interview

I was applying internally for a promotion. I had one phone interview screening, followed by two phone interviews the following week. The interviews were done via phone because I was not in the same location as the job opportunity. All three interviews were intense behavioral interviews, so I spent a lot of time preparing for them. I recommend that anyone else do the same thing.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer

Senior Human Resource Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mansfield, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Mansfield, NJ) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied for the job and in 2 weeks got an email from the Talent Team on the interest in my profile and asked to submit a questionnaire. Responded and got an email to schedule the interview. In a week the telephone interview was scheduled.
    The recruiter advised me to make sure I answer the questions on STAR format and prepare for behavioral type questions. It was supposed to be a 45 mins call.

However the call was only for 20 mins and the questions were very simple. Just asked on my experience level. Seemed like the interviewer was not prepared.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself.
      Explain your role and experience
      How did you manage a particular role   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn to apply online. I submitted my application on a Friday and heard back six days later regarding the opportunity for an interview that would take place in a week. I looked on Glassdoor and a lot of people said that for this role, they had two rounds of interviews- a phone screen/video interview and then a final. For me, I just had the final interview. Amazon booked my travel and they reimburse you for food/taxi expenses. The hotel was one street away from the interview location, which was extremely convenient. I was impressed with the speed of the whole process. I prepared a lot for the interview by doing my research on Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Google. You must know their leadership principles and be able to answer in STAR format. They want to see how to answer a question and relate it to your past experiences rather than memorizing something concrete. I would say the interview was much easier than I had anticipated. The environment was very calm and non-hostile. I was in a group with 7 other candidates and we were all split up to interview one on one with two different people. These are senior leaders in HR that work in different fulfillment centers. I had a wonderful time speaking with them and learning about the organization. Each interview took 45 minutes each, but they both felt like casual professional conversations. There is one case study involved, but it is not difficult. I would suggest pausing before you answer so you can process what you want to say. Do not ramble, but be specific and get to the point. Also, make sure you ask insightful questions at the end. They told me that I would hear back within five business days and I received an offer on the fifth day. The total compensation is very good for an entry-level position (salary, sign on payments, stock) but you just have to be okay with relocating nationwide.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Amazon?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when...?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn who told me about the position. I applied and received an email about flying out to D.C. for an interview the following week. The whole interview process took about 3 hours (two interviews in one day). The majority of the questions in the first interview were behavioral questions. The second interview was a case study where I had to explain what I would do in a hypothetical situation. The interviews were challenging, but doable as long as you take the time to study the information they provide and prepare answers ahead of time. The entire process from application to offer letter took about three weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with a supervisor.   1 Answer
    • How do you earn trust with you coworkers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn and within 48 hours of showing interest I was sent an email of questions to answer right away and then scheduling travel began. Communication between me and the recruiter was fast and informative. They do everything they can to keep you informed and prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you made a process more efficient?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Baltimore, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

telephone interview then in person interview I was scheduled for a telephone interview then an in person interview, they do not give any notice for in person interview. I received an email Thursday for an interview friday

Interview Questions

• What would you do to increase employee morale   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

I was reached out to by a recruiter via LinkedIn and was told more about Amazon and the position. Once I applied, It took two months to hear back for next steps. I got an email to do a video interview which was fairly simple. STAR questions were asked throughout the video interview. After submitting the video, I didn't hear back for another two months since it was peak season for Amazon. I finally received an email that they wanted to interview me at one of there interview locations in the midwest. Everything was covered through amazon including meals, transportation, hotel, etc. throughout the travel time. On the day of the interview, we were all in one room while two recruiters introduced themselves and explain how the interviews will go. You will interview with two amazon employees that work in higher positions. The questions they asked are STAR Questions, fairly simple but some were a little difficult to answer. Once the interviews were finished, you are done and sent back home. They told us that the wait time to hear back is five business days. I heard back within three that I got the position. The process/communication was okay but at times, I had to email them multiple times to get my interviewed time set up.

Be yourself throughout the entire interview but also be professional and answer your questions to the best of your ability. They want a logical answer versus the "right" answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult manager.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Hirevue - answered questions that the computer generated. You get two attempts per question, and after the second question, you can't review your answer. It's very imporant to answer questions using the STAR method.