Amazon Manager Software Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 30, 2017

3.3

161 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Not professional at all, the interviewer was not able to hear me well, seemed he was in his mobile and not focused on the interview. He just asked me a couple of questions and recommend not to apply to those kind of profiles.

Interview Questions

• Are you a programmer but an architect but a manager but a program manager? Superman?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

2 phone screenings by hiring team comprising technical and behavioral questions followed by 5 back to back on-site interview.

The phone screenings were more technical in nature (mostly system design and scalability related questions).

The onsite interview started with a shock: The person who phone screened me and recommended me to come over for an onsite interview did not even remember my name.
    I mentioned I was happy to see him in person. He could not recollect it and looked perplexed.
    He probably came up with a prepared set of questions (he had a notebook) which I believe he had already asked in phone screening.

Since they could not be asked anymore, his technical questions were completely unstructured and he had little to no interest in hearing my answers.

All the other interviewers were good to great. The bar raiser (likely) and hiring manager were the best of the lot. They were very professional and their questions were very focused on Amazon leadership principles and technical deep-dive on my previous projects. They actually listened with intent and had good followup questions.

Interview Questions

• Can't get into the details since I signed an NDA with Amazon   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

They contacted me thought a job site. First an initial phone screen followed by a round of interviews. I did a two hour writing assessment followed by another round of interviews. I believe I did about 4-5 hours interviewing in total + the 2 hour take home writing assessment.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very untechnical: tell me a time this happened,... how did you respond?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I received a messaged through LinkedIn from a recruiter working for Amazon, Restaurants and Tickets. She indicated there was an immediate opening for their Tickets Team, and that I looked like a good match. This was followed by your typical exchange of information: she sent a job description, and I responded with a resume and supplemental materials. We also exchanged a bit more info regarding the specific product and what types of work I've done that was similar. We mutually decided on a day/time for a phone screening about a week later.

Interview Questions

• On a scale between one to ten how confident are you developing and deploying AWS?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Over a period of a month, three different Amazon recruiters, representing three different areas at Amazon, reached out to me via my profile on LinkedIn. The first sign of a problem was that none of the recruiters bothered to link to a job description, so I really didn't know whether I was a good fit for the job or not. Still, I'm always willing to chat, so I replied within 24 hours in each case thanking them and providing my contact info. In each case, I never got a reply.

In one case, the one that sounded the most promising, I pinged the recruiter twice more over the course of the next two weeks. After that, I gave up.

Interview Questions

• Whether I'd be interested in learning more.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The Process:
    Informational with HR
    Phone screen with HR
    Technical screen with EM
    Take-home systems design task
    Coaching call before the on-site round with HR
    Written essay
    On-site loop, 7 rounds (including lunch), 9am - 4pm.

My experience:
    This interview has been an unexpectedly significant time commitment for me. I put in about 4 hours into the systems design task and about 6 hours into the essay, both of which came in as a surprise for me in the process and with a short deadline (the systems design task was due same day, the essay - in less than three days).

The on-site round went reasonably well, the people I met were friendly and helpful. However, my experience with one of the interviewers was so frustrating that it made me wonder whether Amazon still engaged in the questionable practice of stress interviews. At this point, if this person was to be my future colleague, I knew I wouldn't take an offer should there be one.

Other than the unfortunate misunderstanding above, my only other observation that might be valuable for the reader here is that my interview for the Engineering Manager position has been less technical than I expected. About 75% of the time I was discussing people and project management matters ("Tell me about the time..." type of questions). Systems design was discussed on a high level, and low-level software engineering skills (algorithms, low-level design, development best practices) seemed to not have been tested at all. That being said, the preparation matrix from "Cracking the PM interview" might be more helpful than you think.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Systems design task: a very general "Build me an <X>", where X is a known high load, highly available system. A very typical question pretty much everywhere today.   Answer Question
    • Essay: two topics for reflection to choose from, expected 2-4 pages   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

Emails with HR, scheduling the tech interview call. They have sent me a document on how to prepare for the management questions. Overall very professional in all Q/A and feedbacks. Positive experience.
    The interview was around 45 min. Two parts - management and tech. Management was somewhat different from the prep doc but close. Mostly focused on negative experience, failed project, wrong hire etc. There was a question why Amazon as expected.
    Tech part had questions listed below. All were generic questions and they are not too hard. I did not answer on some of them (switching domain from embedded) and this probably was the mistake. It looks as regardless of my experience in different domain (embeedded/communication) it was expected that I know some basics of web and security. Now I think it was fair and I learned the lesson.

Interview Questions

• What is SSL/TLS?
      TCP vs UDP - how each one handles missing or out of order packets
      What is XSS?
      Load balancing schemes   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on Linkedin to invite me to interview with them for a Software Development Manager position. He asked me to provide some hours of availability for a phone interview, which I did. They chose one of the windows and sent me an interview invite, and we agreed that the interviewer would call me at a particular number. Unfortunately, my interviewer no-showed! No cancellation email or postponement email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted by Amazon recruiting, poor quality phone calls, multiple contacts, many seemed to be new and poorly organized. Helps to be organized and manage process, with regular followup. Not a problem as this was a management position. Great if you have an amazon contact who can track down what is happening. Did finally talk with a Amazon recruiter who seemed on top of process and one the phone was helpful in describing details and preliminary schedule. The email and other processes were a black box.

Ended up having two online/phone technical interview, the second interviewer was confused why needed a second, hopefully Amazon will figure out their growing pains as they do have a detailed tracking process and are know for data analysis.

For on site interviews, nice people, but disorganized: difficulty finding my primary contact, problems setting up video conference. Three of the interviewers appeared to change at last minute, two of interviews had new employee observers. Two were video conference to Seattle. Be prepared to have phone numbers for your primary recruiting contact, they can help resolve problems on that day. One of the interviewers was waiting in another conference room.

During interviews, everyone very focused on typing what you say into their system. A couple did explain, and even apologized for lack of engagement as they typed. Because of problems mentioned above, most of my interviews were running late and constrained. Most tried to allow some time for questions beyond their behavioral, Amazon principals questions. The one technical interviewer gave less than 15min for technical problem discussion and solution (a fairly typical coding interview problem but challenging for the time). One peer interview left no time for my questions, "needed to get through questions", offered to answer questions via LinkedIn, but never accepted connection. Perhaps already knew thumbs down or was interviewing others first?

Some interviewers provided some feedback re Amazon environment, be sure to ask. You should talk with one long time (3+year) Amazon employee.

After interviews, two weeks before heard decision. Three different Amazon contacts for recruiting, was never perfectly clear who would respond, so helps to include all with your email. Vague timelines when team might decide. As with many high tech interview processes, no information about why. Throughout process got a number of apologies, so I'm convinced it wasn't some type of torture test. Hopefully this experience is an outlier, and more an indication of the growing pains at Amazon. Ultimately, heard they had decided to not move forward, with a "really impressed with your qualifications, please stay in touch!" however…

Important note: Amazon said they have a 12 month "cooling off" period. They will *not* consider you for other openings. If you are going though the process and it looks like it isn't a fit, you might see if you can decline them before they block you from other openings. Alternatively, I've heard that multiple Amazon applications and interviews can happen around the same time. They work internally to decide which is the best fit. My error, I applied to this one job first, and didn't apply to others until later, apparently I won't hear back.

Interview Questions

• Refer to all the areas of the Amazon leadership principals.   2 Answers
    • Before the onsite interview, you will be asked to submit a two to four page writing sample answering one of two questions. During the interview process I was asked about the question I did not choose by at three different interviewers.   1 Answer

Software Development Manager III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Referred by a friend. I had one phone screen and followed by a day full of onsite interview. Be ready to talk in depth and breadth. Scale is very important in your thought process. Leadership principles are important and customer obsession and data driven examples are key. Do not create stories that you cannot support with a whiteboard explanation. Very friendly folks with genuine knowledge and intent to hire the best.