Amazon Operator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 21, 2018

3.3

578 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Basic target selection questions, STAR. Called for interview at FC. Interview lasted roughly 40 minutes. Well organized and flowed great. Asked about a process change I helped implement and the simple math question of 38 hourly with 2 indirect employees. Added how many people would be needed if one wanted 10000 more units.

Senior Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).
    The interview had 4 loops (4 people) and a phone screen with a recruiter. All about Amazon's leadership principles

Interview Questions

• Competency based interview questions on Amazon Leadership principles   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA).

Interview

based on leadership principles. phone screen with recruiter followed by hiring manager and then an onsite with about 5-6 people. Process is quick and company is responsive. I had 2 rounds for 2 different roles they deemed fit, met with all different people. Interviews are well structured and all the information is provided well in advance. They are flexible with the schedules.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a tough employee and how did you cope up with them   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Generally well organized and efficient. Good communications throughout the process with a number of recruiting personnel involved. Initial phone interview was very relaxed and friendly, contained a good overview of the job requirements and because it was conducted by a current Operations Manager, it was relevant and informative. He read out the 2 behavioral style questions and didn't do the math test because it han't been sent out prior to the interview. From application to the first interview was about 2 weeks (I applied from a LinkedIn job posting). The day after the phone interview, I was contacted by the recruiter to let me know that the interview had gone well and I was invited to attend an onsite interview a week later in Los Angeles. I was given all of the information I needed and all of the travel arrangements (rental car and good standard hotel) were made by them. I had to complete a 2 page written exercise, another behavioral style question (using initiative in a difficult circumstance that brought about beneficial change - one of 2 questions to choose from) and submit that within 2 days of receipt. I then received emails from the senior recruiter with additional information about how the on-site interview would be conducted - again, very informative and excellent for preparation.
    The on-site interview started at 7am with a facility tour from an Operations Manager called James (really chilled guy who obviously enjoyed his job and was a great advert for the company). After the tour, the 5 candidates were given a math flow problem with 15 minutes to solve it. We all finished it with time to spare and it was a little like Sudoku (fill in as many variables from the information given then work through each element). There were 4 interviewers, a General Manager, 2 Operations Managers, and a HR manager. They were all very professional and well-prepared - each of them had prepared questions from my resume. Each interview lasted 45 minutes and the most challenging is the one that goes through the written question and the math test. It goes into more detail and then has a further math test question based on a more complex version of the original scenario. They are very keen on the STAR answer format and the 14 Principles of Leadership (relate your answers to the principles as much as possible).

Interview Questions

• To describe a situation where I lead a team that had a time critical element as well as an outcome that exceeded expectations.   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2017.

Interview

Resume drop, phone interview, final round on-site (1.5 months start to finish). Be frank in your answers -- don't b.s.! Amazon is a data driven company, but also one that looks for honesty in their candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Murfreesboro, TN) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview is similar to what has been described before. I went to a fulfillment center and was interviewed by 3 people & 1 on the phone. They asked the standard star questions. What I found interesting was the longest tenured people I interviewed with was 5 years & that person was in the top 5% of tenured employees. I did asked about why they thought the average tenure was only 1 year. Got the standard answer about working hard and long hours and most people aren't cut out for that. The last interview was with an operations manager & another manager on the phone. They came from the armed services and spent more time talking about themselves than asking me questions. The last thing I want to mention, if you are a 50+ white male, don't bother applying, Amazon won't hire you. I knew halfway thru the interview that there wouldn't be an offer. Having said that, after talking to the people at Amazon and researching the company, I wouldn't accepted a job offer if given. Good luck to those who apply: you are going to need it.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate people?   1 Answer

Financial Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2017.

Interview

Was reached out by a recruiter to set up the initial phone screen where I was asked basic behavioral questions. I was also asked basic excel formulas along with a question about which product I would choose based on very little information they'd give. They look for how you think and what your train of thought is, not really a correct answer. They have follow up questions to that so if you BS your first answer it will catch up to you. After passing phone screen, you have 2-3 interviews with managers where they also ask similar technical questions along with leadership roles. They also look for people who are familiar with Amazon's principles so be sure to know that.

Interview Questions

• Excel formulas?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time where.... sort of questions.   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The timeline from first interview to last interview was fairly quick about two months. The interview itself was very straightforward based on the 14 leadership principles and comprised of behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions based on the 14 leadership principles.   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

in person during a job fair, it was a short "phone" style interview. Interviewer described the process then his background. Gave me a "tell me about yourself", then asked two questions related to amazon leadership principles. When have you motivated a team? When have you failed?

Interview Questions

• Asked questions from the interview packet, and no math flow question.   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Dallas, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

The first round phone call was a little intimidating. The interviewer was cold and dug very deep into each one of my answers. Know you resume inside and out. They also weren't very open to questions.